Court OKs Firing Over Confederate Flag

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'd have to agree with them on this issue. His boss told him to remove it, he didn't, he gets fired. Although I still don't get the whole issue with the flag being harrassment, thats assinine. But that isn't the issue here. The issue is failure to follow what the boss says.

KK

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Private property rights = good.

So if I bring in some posters or sticker from home and hang them on my cube wall in the office, or wear a shirt that says something on it, no matter what is on them I shouldn't get fired even if it offeneds my coworkers and my boss told me to remove them?

I say can the jerk.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
The employer was within his rights. It is his workplace, and the employee must abide by the rules.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Would it not follow, then, that you could be forced to remove the American flag from your toolbox or cubicle?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Would it not follow, then, that you could be forced to remove the American flag from your toolbox or cubicle?

Of course.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
Question: The black worker now display's an African flag on his toolbox / desk and the mechanic complains. Would he be afforded the same courtesy?

jeremy806

May 10, 2000

When I stated "private property rights = good" I meant the rights of the employer.

Yes, can the worker.

I may have been misunderstood.

There is no freedom of expression in the private workplace.

Jeremy806

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A confederate flag is no longer a flag, it's a symbol. There is no country to which it any longer appertains. An American flag or African flag may be a symbol, but it is also a flag of a real country. I see a difference in expressing your nationality as opposed to your philosophy. I'm not so sure the courts would say it wouldn't be OK to desplay a real flag.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
so what are they going to do about all the people that fly them off the back of their trucks in public where i live???

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
A confederate flag is no longer a flag, it's a symbol. There is no country to which it any longer appertains. An American flag or African flag may be a symbol, but it is also a flag of a real country. I see a difference in expressing your nationality as opposed to your philosophy. I'm not so sure the courts would say it wouldn't be OK to desplay a real flag.

well said.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

It is not shocking that you feel that way, but I think the Confederate flag only expresses philosophy for a few ignorant morons. If you think people have it to be inflammatory, well then you fall under the moron category yourself.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: przero
Question: The black worker now display's an African flag on his toolbox / desk and the mechanic complains. Would he be afforded the same courtesy?

Who are we to say? We're not the guy's boss. But given that the confederate flag is a reminder of slavery and systematic racism (the effects of which they STILL feel) for many African-Americans, I'd say the white guy doesn't have much of a case. Perhaps if he was an American Indian, they were slaughtered by Americans. Or Chinese or Japanese, they were treated pretty badly in the past. But most people don't equate the American flag with those things like the confederate flag is equated with slavery and racism.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It is not shocking that you feel that way, but I think the Confederate flag only expresses philosophy for a few ignorant morons. If you think people have it to be inflammatory, well then you fall under the moron category yourself.
---------------------------------
When did expressing a philosophy become inflammatory. I know that's an odd question coming from me, but instead of calling me a moron for implying what I did not and then suggesting that people are implying something, which was what I did, why not tell me what you think the vast majority of confederate flag wavers are saying since that nation never got off the ground and is long gone. I don't really want to argue really, because I was just expressing a distinction I thought maybe a court would look at. I have no idea really what one would rule on an American or African flag, for example. It just seems a bit odd that Americans are waving a flag of a country that came to be for the reasons it did and is still extolled in that way.

I'm open to hearing what people are expressing with that flag. How about a Nazi flag. Can you fly it without being inflammatory. What is inflammatory and where does it reside? Is it in intention or apperception? How do we decide? Who is fit to understand the motivations of another particularly since Freud?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: mugsywwiii
Originally posted by: przero

Who are we to say? We're not the guy's boss. But given that the confederate flag is a reminder of slavery and systematic racism (the effects of which they STILL feel) for many African-Americans, I'd say the white guy doesn't have much of a case. Perhaps if he was an American Indian, they were slaughtered by Americans. Or Chinese or Japanese, they were treated pretty badly in the past. But most people don't equate the American flag with those things like the confederate flag is equated with slavery and racism.

But still a great win for revisionist history and the PC nuts, no?

It is assinine to think that the confederate flag stood for slavery, was slavery a reason for the civil war? Somewhat, but to equate fully the confederate cause with slavery is ignorant. However, since it is now equated with slavery due to the PC movement(and others) it should be removed from the workplace if offense is taken. But again, it is a slippery slope to label items as "offensive" and "not offensive" because "offense" is in the eye of the beholder.

CkG

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
---------------------------------
When did expressing a philosophy become inflammatory. I know that's an odd question coming from me, but instead of calling me a moron for implying what I did not and then suggesting that people are implying something, which was what I did, why not tell me what you think the vast majority of confederate flag wavers are saying since that nation never got off the ground and is long gone. I don't really want to argue really, because I was just expressing a distinction I thought maybe a court would look at. I have no idea really what one would rule on an American or African flag, for example. It just seems a bit odd that Americans are waving a flag of a country that came to be for the reasons it did and is still extolled in that way.

I'm open to hearing what people are expressing with that flag. How about a Nazi flag. Can you fly it without being inflammatory. What is inflammatory and where does it reside? Is it in intention or apperception? How do we decide? Who is fit to understand the motivations of another particularly since Freud?

Honestly? Perception is all based on who you are. If you get offended, it is normally because of Who or What you are. People are too easily offended.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It is assinine to think that the confederate flag stood for slavery, was slavery a reason for the civil war? Somewhat, but to equate fully the confederate cause with slavery is ignorant. However, since it is now equated with slavery due to the PC movement(and others) it should be removed from the workplace if offense is taken. But again, it is a slippery slope to label items as "offensive" and "not offensive" because "offense" is in the eye of the beholder.

CkG

Perception is reality. My question is why are southerners still stuck on a war they lost 140 years ago?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

CkG

Perception is reality. My question is why are southerners still stuck on a war they lost 140 years ago?

I don't think anyone is stuck on a war. There was a heritage way before the war and the North tried very hard to destroy it during reconstruction. I guess I am supposed to leave out how revisionists have made the Reconstruction to be some great time, instead of the rapes and crimes against humanity it brought.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Millennium

CkG

I don't think anyone is stuck on a war. There was a heritage way before the war and the North tried very hard to destroy it during reconstruction. I guess I am supposed to leave out how revisionists have made the Reconstruction to be some great time, instead of the rapes and crimes against humanity it brought.

The confederate battle flag was a big part of that heritage? Did I say anything about reconstruction?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Millennium

CkG

The confederate battle flag was a big part of that heritage? Did I say anything about reconstruction?

Are you arguing that Reconstruction has nothing to do with Southern Heritage? Yeah, the FLAG was a big part of it all. If you are going to give me canned revisionist crap I am going to LAUGH in your face. Post something original or not revisionist. The Civil War had little to do with Slavery. State's rights my friend.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Are you arguing that Reconstruction has nothing to do with Southern Heritage? Yeah, the FLAG was a big part of it all. If you are going to give me canned revisionist crap I am going to LAUGH in your face. Post something original or not revisionist. The Civil War had little to do with Slavery. State's rights my friend.[/quote]

You seem to be a very angry person. I know the Civil War had little to do with slavery. I know it was about states' rights. I know reconstruction was a terrible time.

Let's look at what I said:
"The confederate battle flag was a big part of that heritage? Did I say anything about reconstruction?"

From that you somehow inferred that I was saying reconstruction has nothing to do with southern heritage. I did not say that.

I said something about the south being stuck on a war they lost 140 years ago. You started talking about pre-war southern heritage and all that. I asked if the flag was a part of that [PRE-WAR] heritage. My ASSUMPTION is that it was not. It may have been, you tell me. But if it was not, then the pre-war southern heritage argument isn't really relevent to a discussion of that flag. Was that flag a symbol of the heritage of all southerners, or just the white ones who oppressed the blacks through Jim Crow segregation? Do they focus on that a lot in the non-revisionist history classes in Alabama? That flag might be a symbol of your heritage to YOU, but do you honestly think African-Americans see it that way? That's the original point I was trying to make. From their perspective, that flag represents a terrible time in American history.

Birmingham, eh? My grandmother lives down in Montevallo.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

CkG

nah, i think they're stuck on the yanks coming in and trying to destroy the south's proto-nationalism. the battle flag, as the most recognizable piece of that (no one gives a rats ass if you fly the stars and bars and most people wouldn't know what it is) proto-nationalism, got picked up again the second time the yanks came in to try to change southern culture.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You seem to be a very angry person.

Nope just tired of morons who argue straight out of a textbook.

I know the Civil War had little to do with slavery. I know it was about states' rights. I know reconstruction was a terrible time.

Ok I have already said that.

Let's look at what I said:
"The confederate battle flag was a big part of that heritage? Did I say anything about reconstruction?"

Yes, it was a symbol during reconstruction that the people and their heritage would survive.

From that you somehow inferred that I was saying reconstruction has nothing to do with southern heritage. I did not say that.

That is what it seemed like. Who really cares? Your true colors and education are showing right now!

I said something about the south being stuck on a war they lost 140 years ago.

Proof? Is just some mantra you spew without giving it thought?

You started talking about pre-war southern heritage and all that. I asked if the flag was a part of that [PRE-WAR] heritage.

That is saying that the American Flag doesn't symbolize anyone before 1776. It does.

My ASSUMPTION is that it was not.

That is your error.

It may have been, you tell me.

I just did.

But if it was not, then the pre-war southern heritage argument isn't really relevent to a discussion of that flag.

It is relevant.

Was that flag a symbol of the heritage of all southerners, or just the white ones who oppressed the blacks through Jim Crow segregation?

All Southerners. Well at least the ones Jessie Jackson hasn't gotten to or the revisionist BS hasn't affected. BTW, what is the relevance of Jim Crow laws to this discussion? Is that not just an inflammatory fallacious argument on your behalf? Surely those Southerners beat those black people. Destroy their heritage and their flag. No wonder there is more racial strife and segregation in the North. Want to know the least segregated place in the US? The South.

Do they focus on that a lot in the non-revisionist history classes in Alabama?

Never had a "non-revisionist history" class. Did they teach you to be a fvcking moron in Indiana or was that an inherited trait?

That flag might be a symbol of your heritage to YOU, but do you honestly think African-Americans see it that way?

Some do and some don't. It depends on the person.

That's the original point I was trying to make. From their perspective, that flag represents a terrible time in American history.

Well fvck me! Would a cotton shirt not represent a terrible time too? What about Northerners? You represent a terrible time in history. Let us burn you too!

Birmingham, eh? My grandmother lives down in Montevallo.

Why would I give a monkey's ass about that? It doesn't give you qualifications to speak BS about something.