COURT DATE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: huberm
ask the police officer if he calibrated his speed measuring device at the beginning of his shift. If he says yes, ask him to explain in detail how it was done.

Before then, study up on proper protocol in your state to calibrate the equipment. If he fails to explain it correctly, there is no way to tell if the equipment was calibrated, hence no way to know if the speed given was correct.

i'm not sure if he used a device or matched my speed, but i'll look into that, thanks for the tip

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: huberm
ask the police officer if he calibrated his speed measuring device at the beginning of his shift. If he says yes, ask him to explain in detail how it was done.

Before then, study up on proper protocol in your state to calibrate the equipment. If he fails to explain it correctly, there is no way to tell if the equipment was calibrated, hence no way to know if the speed given was correct.

A buddy of mine got a speeding ticket and tried to pull this defense. The cop had a print out that showed his calibration the day of, discrediting everything he said.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
dont tell the court that your car is crap or they will have that impounded to...generally you are screwed as it stands

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
if i was in an area that doesn't write "enforced by radar," can the officer use a radar gun?

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: mrrman
dont tell the court that your car is crap or they will have that impounded to...generally you are screwed as it stands

lol i love the optimism. btw, as long as a car can keep above 40mph in a highway the car cannot be impounded for not being able to handle "high speeds" or so i am told

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
Just admit you were speeding and be done with it. I noted that you haven't said how fast you were going, so the assumption is the officer had you dead to rights and wrote you the ticket.