Couple denied entry to America for anti-American tweet inc. Family Guy reference

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
They are lucky they aren't Muslims, or they would have been in Gitmo by now if they tweeted about destroying America.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i don't understand, do you now have to show your twitter account to gain access to the country? how the fuck would the TSA even know about this? something is fishy.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Holy crap Captain America the Insane

I hope they not only get their full Visas from the U.S. Embassy but also an invitation to the White House and a personal apology from President Obama.

Beyond ridiculous

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
i don't understand, do you now have to show your twitter account to gain access to the country? how the fuck would the TSA even know about this? something is fishy.

Silly you

Homeland Security scrubbed and flagged these Tweets while they were still in England.

Never heard of PRODIGAL?

12-3-2011

http://news.discovery.com/tech/government-reading-emails-privacy-111203.html

PRODIGAL - the Proactive Discovery of Insider Threats Using Graph Analysis and Learning -- which has been built to scan IMs, texts and emails

"Every time someone logs on or off, sends an email or text, touches a file or plugs in a USB key, these records are collected within the organization," David Bader, a professor at the Georgia Tech School of Computational Science and Engineering and a principal investigator on the project, told FoxNews.com.

PRODIGAL scans those records for behavior - emails to unusual recipients, certain words cropping up, files transferred from unexpected servers

The system was developed at Georgia Tech in conjunction with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the Army's secretive research arm that works on everything from flying cars to robotic exoskeletons.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
They searched the bag looking for shovels?

Yeah. I am sure that two men coming over to dig up Marilyn Monroe would bring their own shovels over from Britain.

Holy shit you're right! I demand that we institute a new shovel licensing policy to deal with this threat. There will be a mandatory background check, waiting period and we'll let the states have minor varriations in the law regarding storage and concealment of shovels for a bit of fun

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'd rather allow some illegals in than stereotypical British tourists. British tourists are consistently rated as the world's worst tourists. They are notorious for drunken and violent behavior. It's a big issue in tourist locations. For example, there have been protests on Greek islands against allowing British tourists in due to their destructive behavior while on vacation.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to the story.

I am of the opinion that traditional tourists are a little more open minded than folks who sit around all day bitching about places they've never been. Those types tend to be more agreeable and less critical of countries they have visited, and its people.

And until British tourists start taking millions of jobs and using our emergency rooms while multiplying healthcare costs, I wont worry about them.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They aren't U.S. citizens.

I guess this really goes to show how important our constitutional rights are.

Lately we've been giving an awful lot of rights to non-citizens and trampling all over Americans rights. Why would you pick on just a couple of idiot tourists?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I am of the opinion that traditional tourists are a little more open minded than folks who sit around all day bitching about places they've never been. Those types tend to be more agreeable and less critical of countries they have visited, and its people.

British tourists are not what I would call traditional tourists. They are often rated the worst tourists, and are known for violent and drunken behavior overseas.

And until British tourists start taking millions of jobs and using our emergency rooms while multiplying healthcare costs, I wont worry about them.

Of course they do that. They have a reputation for violence and drunken behavior. Not only will they end up in the emergency rooms, but American victims will as well.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Silly you

Homeland Security scrubbed and flagged these Tweets while they were still in England.

Never heard of PRODIGAL?

12-3-2011

http://news.discovery.com/tech/government-reading-emails-privacy-111203.html

PRODIGAL - the Proactive Discovery of Insider Threats Using Graph Analysis and Learning -- which has been built to scan IMs, texts and emails

"Every time someone logs on or off, sends an email or text, touches a file or plugs in a USB key, these records are collected within the organization," David Bader, a professor at the Georgia Tech School of Computational Science and Engineering and a principal investigator on the project, told FoxNews.com.

PRODIGAL scans those records for behavior - emails to unusual recipients, certain words cropping up, files transferred from unexpected servers

The system was developed at Georgia Tech in conjunction with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the Army's secretive research arm that works on everything from flying cars to robotic exoskeletons.

That only applies to a specific intranet, such as employees at work sending emails through their own mail server.

Does anyone have any real information on how the TSA supposedly got this information on the British tourists? Frankly I don't trust British tabloids to be very reputable.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
.... Why was DHS watching this guy's tweets to start with? What a ridiculous waste of resources.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
White English people are worth pretty much nothing Vote wise, so the Feds dont care. But Mexicans ? Hoooo boy, there are millions throughout the country now and their vote is sacred so they get a free pass [illegals included].

It all comes down to voting power.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
White English people are worth pretty much nothing Vote wise, so the Feds dont care. But Mexicans ? Hoooo boy, there are millions throughout the country now and their vote is sacred so they get a free pass [illegals included].

It all comes down to voting power.

No votes for white English people? So many Americans feel some sort of kinship with white English people. Much of our politics and policies are based on appeasing people who feel that way.