Coup Possibly Happening in Venezuela

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
"A military uprising appears to be under way in Venezuela after the opposition leader, Juan Guaidó, posted a video of himself flanked by soldiers, promising to end the rule of President Nicolás Maduro .

“The moment is now,” Guaidó said in a three-minute speech, apparently filmed just before dawn on Tuesday near La Carlota, the main military airbase in Caracas. “We are going to achieve liberty and democracy for Venezuela.”

My hope is that this is not premature and fails. I also hope for as little bloodshed as possible.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hope it fails and the blowback is an embarrassment to the Trump administration.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Yeah was listening to this on the way in this morning. They were calling for a military uprising but there wasn't word yet if any in the military took up the cause. There was a main opposition person (can't think of the name now) who had been imprisoned for some time who showed up free this morning so there might be hope.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Maduro has the military running the corruption. I can't imagine many of them will side with losing their corrupt business.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
With the limited info available, this "coup" looks weak. That's bad. Think Turkey or the Bay of Pigs.

Jan 25, 2011
With the limited info available, this "coup" looks weak. That's bad. Think Turkey or the Bay of Pigs.
It looks more like a "call for it and hope they come". I don't get the feeling there was much planned in advanced or they had much guarantee from the military they would be joining them.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I'm unsure how much better (if at all) things will be even if the coup is successful and Guaidó assumes power. As we found out in Iraq in 2003, just removing an undesirable and corrupt foreign leader by itself doesn't lead to improvements.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm unsure how much better (if at all) things will be even if the coup is successful and Guaidó assumes power. As we found out in Iraq in 2003, just removing an undesirable and corrupt foreign leader by itself doesn't lead to improvements.
It depends on if the replacement is fighting for democracy or for power.

Reactions: Paladin3

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

True but we should have learned that lesson a lifetime ago or more when corruption wasn't even a requirement to become involved.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
It depends on if the replacement is fighting for democracy or for power.

It's always about power because that is a requirement but it might also be for a delusion of freedom. Democracy isn't that as Americans should have discovered by now.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Maduro has the military running the corruption. I can't imagine many of them will side with losing their corrupt business.

The military could care less whether they serve a left wing dictator or a right wing dictator. Whoever succeeds will not stop lining their pockets with illicit petrodollars. They could very well side with Gaido for the prospect of ending sanctions (and grabbing more cash.)

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's always about power because that is a requirement but it might also be for a delusion of freedom. Democracy isn't that as Americans should have discovered by now.
There are numerous examples throughout history of people fighting for freedom/democracy who had absolutely no desire for power.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I see Trump Golf Resorts and Trump Overseas Employment Agencies and Trump/Barr Law Offices for Unfairly Convicted Drug Lords and Trump Oil Leasing and Landholding in their near future if this coup ever gets pulled off.

Of course, this is all financed by the Koch's and their *ahem* business partners from Eastern Europe.

• Haha
Reactions: Atreus21

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
There are numerous examples throughout history of people fighting for freedom/democracy who had absolutely no desire for power.
So, you fight and win, for "freedom and/or democracy." You accede to the leadership. Then, you have to stay in power. Look what has happened with Ortega in Nicaragua. Power corrupts.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
CNN has video of armored trucks plowing through/over protesters. Certainly people badly injured or dead.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

1. Lie to front line troops and tell them they're to take part in an operation at a prison
2. Drop them off in the middle of the highway, hope to provoke bloodshed between troops
3. Use bloodshed to justify foreign (US) intervention

This is a more elaborate version of the "aid supply trucks" they torched a month ago.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

1. Lie to front line troops and tell them they're to take part in an operation at a prison
2. Drop them off in the middle of the highway, hope to provoke bloodshed between troops
3. Use bloodshed to justify foreign (US) intervention

This is a more elaborate version of the "aid supply trucks" they torched a month ago.

If accurate, the Military loyal to Gaido seems to consist of some Officers and not much with the Troops themselves. Not sure what that means or if this differs from other Coups, it just feels kind of a desperate Hail Mary move though.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
CNN has video of armored trucks plowing through/over protesters. Certainly people badly injured or dead.

Saw 1 or 2 people on the ground. They were moved fairly quickly, so it's hard to tell their condition.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

It's always a matter of power. I would argue that key points the Democrats embraced were very good, some to support freedom and functional democracy. How did that work out after Trump won and before midterms? They failed to have anything like an effective resistance. Did they not wish hard enough? Not complain to the Reps?

No, they lacked power.

Perhaps I should clarify what "power" means here. It is that which effects change or withstand it, to maintain effective rule or lose it.

So yes, the Dems pursue power which comes from winning office. They act as they believe because they are granted the power to do so. The problem is when power becomes certain in the minds of those who hold it. That they define what is right and wrong no matter what. That they know they are unopposable and correct about it.

The saying is to the effect "If you wish to know the character of a man give him power". It's obvious what that means with individuals and organizations.