County worker FIRED for doing what anyone would do.

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
unless immediate danger seems apparent.

yes there was. house trashed, bad odor and door open. if you think that is normal then please tell me the area you live so i can stay far away.

I'm not getting this 'immediate danger' thing. First - if someone was dead thats not really immediate danger. They are already dead. The danger part passed

Also - as someone who has spent a lot of time going in and out of people's houses I can tell you that by no means is a trashed place that smells a guaranteed case of abandonment/death. A lot of people just dont give a shit and have lost all sense of smell

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
How many times will op hit it?

Brick_Wall.jpg

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Nothing to do with society protecting you. You have rights, including the right not to have people come into your home without your permission. Being a slob and / or not mowing your lawn don't affect those rights. Guy was wrong, guy entered when he should not have, guy lied about his actions, guy gets caught in lie, guy gets fired. Seems like a perfectly logical sequence of events.

youre flat out wrong! so many people on here are!

if you dont mow your lawn, if you leave your house trashed, you dont answer to anyone- THEN YES. YES YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHTS TO PRIVACY. PEOPLE WILL COME IN YOUR HOME. just because you have a right to something doesnt mean that right cannot be taken away.

im beginning to feel that i am arguing with kids who arent even old enough to drive.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

if you dont mow your lawn, if you leave your house trashed, you dont answer to anyone- THEN YES. YES YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHTS TO PRIVACY. PEOPLE WILL COME IN YOUR HOME. just because you have a right to something doesnt mean that right cannot be taken away.

im beginning to feel that i am arguing with kids who arent even old enough to drive.

LoL. A for effort Mr. Nuts. A for effort....

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The county handed the investigation over to the sheriffs office, but they found no evidence of criminal intent. Vowell, a 20 year law enforcement veteran, told investigators he thought he smelled something and wanted to check the home.

Weak, and then he goes and lies about it. Absolutely should have been fired.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

US Constitution said:
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/fourth_amendment

You may have heard of this...searching your house because you did not mow your yard is quite unreasonable.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
you may not know this, but it happens all the time and the constitution is not for you to interpret. unless you are a judge?

Wait, are you being serious? You actually think having tall grass in your yard is enough to say the Fourth Amendment no longer provides protection against search and seizure?

You are really saying this?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
anyone care to explain why the cops didnt feel the need to do anything?

“I had no idea who lived there or even if anyone did,” Vowell wrote in the message. “I had no idea if someone was hurt, dead or what. ... From what I saw and (smelled), I reacted on instincts telling me something was not right in that house.”

Masters said everything was alright except that she was scared when she was woken from sleep by a stranger in her home. Vowell asked Masters to come outside to sign the notice and waited in her living room as she dressed.

Masters said she called 911. But when the dispatcher found out the man inside her home was a county employee, the dispatcher transferred her to Vowell’s supervisor and didn’t send a deputy to her home.

“I just feel like, ‘I’m violated and you’re not going to send a deputy to my house to check on me to make sure I’m okay?’” Masters said.

She left a message with the supervisor and the sheriff’s office contacted her for a statement Tuesday morning. Masters also provided footage of the incident from surveillance video cameras inside and outside of her home.

http://newstimes.augusta.com/latest-news/2012-07-06/code-enforcement-officer-wont-be-charged

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Wait, are you being serious? You actually think having tall grass in your yard is enough to say the Fourth Amendment no longer provides protection against search and seizure?

You are really saying this?

just stop dude. you have no idea what the world is really like. this isnt 1776 for one, and two, there was many other reasons hinting that something in the house might be wrong. just please study this case before you argue anything.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
you may not know this, but it happens all the time and the constitution is not for you to interpret. unless you are a judge?

The constitution is not for you to interpret either, so quit saying not mowing your lawn = a search warrant.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
FBI: We want a warrant to search this lady's house?
Judge: What is your jusitification?
FBI: She has tall grass in her yard and her door is not fully latched.
Judge: By all things holy, you do not even need a warrant, just charge right in!!!

:D

Last edited:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
FBI: We want a warrant to search this lady's house?
Judge: What is your jusitification?
FBI: She has tall grass in her yard.
Judge: By all things holy, you do not even need a warrant, just charge right in!!!

:D

that is the most clueless rebuttal i have ever seen. wow

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Do you not see the whole entire forum arguing with you? Maybe you will have to accept the fact that you wrong.

do it then.

anyone who disagrees with me in this thread, stop mowing your lawn, trash your house and never answer your door.

please do it.

just prove me wrong. according to all of you, nobody will ever come in your home.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
do it then.

anyone who disagrees with me in this thread, stop mowing your lawn, trash your house and never answer your door.

please do it.

just prove me wrong. according to all of you, nobody will ever come in your home.

It happens all the time. I have a friend that works for code enforcement here. They don't just go barging into a residence like that.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Really? Can you tell me under what authority and under what law that right is taken away? Just because you feel someone doesn't or shouldn't have some right doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Please show us under what law she loses the right to determine who gets to come into her home.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think wirednuts is just trolling, he can't possibly be that stupid. If so, good job, you got hundreds of replies in your troll thread. If not, for the sake of all humanity, you need to refrain from reproducing.

The county is going to get sued, and they will either settle or lose the case. They are well aware of that fact, which is another reason the guy got fired.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
inspecting the house for violations to the yard for sanitary and poor landscaping conditions. the house looked abandoned, the front door was open and unlatched. the house smelled like dead bodies. anyone in that situation would have entered.

no i would have called the police. my town has a code enforcement guy just like this guy and they think they are cops.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
It happens all the time. I have a friend that works for code enforcement here. They don't just go barging into a residence like that.

This.

First they leave a note.
Then they leave a phone message and/or knock on door.
Then if its been weeks since first time trying to contact they inform the authorities.

THEY DONT BARGE RIGHT IT.