County worker FIRED for doing what anyone would do.

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
ok. say you are right. he knew what he did was wrong. so, why did he enter again?

Note that I didn't say he had bad intentions. He realized afterwards that what he did was wrong. If it wasn't wrong, he wouldn't get fired for it and there'd be no reason to lie.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Note that I didn't say he had bad intentions. He realized afterwards that what he did was wrong. If it wasn't wrong, he wouldn't get fired for it and there'd be no reason to lie.

the reason to lie is because everyone would think he went inside despite her telling him no!

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
he was yelling "code inspector" and he wouldnt be there if she wasnt breaking laws to begin with. so if she didnt reasonably believe he was who he said he was, then she is an idiot.

and if she really was deep sleeping, she wouldnt respond even if her bedroom door opened.

These aren't CRIMINAL laws we're talking about that grant probable cause to intrude by SWORN POLICE OFFICERS. These are civil code violations. Read up on the BTK serial killer, he operated in much the same way as this guy did, abusing is day job authority to case his victims.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
he was yelling "code inspector" and he wouldnt be there if she wasnt breaking laws to begin with. so if she didnt reasonably believe he was who he said he was, then she is an idiot.

and if she really was deep sleeping, she wouldnt respond even if her bedroom door opened.

Yea, because no one has ever robbed anyone under the false pretense of being an authority figure ...:rolleyes:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Yea, because no one has ever robbed anyone under the false pretense of being an authority figure ...:rolleyes:

my point was that she knew who it was, and she knew why he was there. there was no confusion, otherwise she would have been scared for her life. there is video evidence showing that she was not scared, just mad because she is a d bag.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
my point was that she knew who it was, and she knew why he was there. there was no confusion, otherwise she would have been scared for her life. there is video evidence showing that she was not scared, just mad because she is a d bag.

She was asleep, she didn't know anything. She's the "d bag" because she was woken up by a stranger that let himself into her home without permission? You are one seriously fucked up individual.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
He lied because he knew he fucked up. Why is that so hard to realize?

I fuck up sometimes, I don't lie about it though, I guess my folks did a better job with the whole right and wrong thing, as such I am usually rewarded for my honesty despite fucking up.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
I fuck up sometimes, I don't lie about it though, I guess my folks did a better job with the whole right and wrong thing, as such I am usually rewarded for my honesty despite fucking up.

+1

Half the time at work when I admit to fucking up my bosses just laugh at me that I'd made such a big deal out of nothing.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
You can't possibly really be this retarded, can you?

i guess i am? so you feel society should protect you despite your actions? and i am retarded? i would stop if i were you. talk to your parents, listen to them this time

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
The only thing i found astonishing here is the number of pages this thread has taken in such a short time. Filled up to the brim with repeats and clarifications...simply amazing and more interesting than the story itself.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
After reading the article I thought that the pigs were up to no good again, invading peoples privacy with no right to do so. After watching the video I realized that the guy was actually trying to help, he thought that there might be someone dead inside from the smells and the way the house looked. In this particular instance I would say that both parties are at fault and no steps should have been taken to reprimand either party (aside from the grass violation). Its just a big misunderstanding of a guy who was trying to do the right thing.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
After reading the article I thought that the pigs were up to no good again, invading peoples privacy with no right to do so. After watching the video I realized that the guy was actually trying to help, he thought that there might be someone dead inside from the smells and the way the house looked. In this particular instance I would say that both parties are at fault and no steps should have been taken to reprimand either party (aside from the grass violation). Its just a big misunderstanding of a guy who was trying to do the right thing.

welcome to the dark side

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
The only thing i found astonishing here is the number of pages this thread has taken in such a short time. Filled up to the brim with repeats and clarifications...simply amazing and more interesting than the story itself.

i have the day off and just was in the mood to take anandtech head on. i knew when i started this thread there would be plenty of people who believe the story the local news put out to a t.

thing is, if you notice most of the posts are from the same few people. the majority of anandtech has stayed 100ft away and i dont blame them:biggrin:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
i think it said shes going for a civil suit, which means she know she doesnt even have a criminal case against him

Obviously she is filing civil rather than criminal because she is a CIVILIAN. How the hell does a civilian file criminal charges? They don't represent the law, that is why. IANAL, but I think only the .gov can do that.

edit: sorry for bringing this thread to the top! I am only on halfway through the thread, did not realize it had died down 7 or so hours ago. Weird thread, so many replies in such a short time span, and almost everyone is in agreement.

Last edited:

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah, um, except that he lied about it. If he hadn't, then I would be more likely to be sympathetic towards him.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
This reminds me of a story:
A few years ago I was riding bikes with my friend, I heard two girls screaming, one older and a young girl, so I turned around and went to the house it was coming from. Apparently they were trying to harass me and my friend by shouting insults at us, we didnt know them and they didnt know us. Mother and daughter (daughter couldnt have been more than 9) then she tried calling the cops on me because I went to see if someone needed help, society has degraded to the point where people like me and this guy are frowned upon fo caring about people. To this day I will never give a shit about a person in trouble.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
i guess i am? so you feel society should protect you despite your actions?

Nothing to do with society protecting you. You have rights, including the right not to have people come into your home without your permission. Being a slob and / or not mowing your lawn don't affect those rights. Guy was wrong, guy entered when he should not have, guy lied about his actions, guy gets caught in lie, guy gets fired. Seems like a perfectly logical sequence of events.