County worker FIRED for doing what anyone would do.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
that sucks then! you cared more about your job then someones life! what grounds do you think the cops had to enter that you didnt?

I wasn't a sworn law enforcement officer with the legal discretion to enter a private residence without a court order. Also, I wasn't trained or equipped or licensed to perform life saving procedures on somebody in a medical emergency (much like our dubiously good Samaritan in this case). If he was genuinely concerned, he should have called somebody with the means to deal with such a situation. Had he called 911 before entering the house I might have more sympathy but since he didn't it looks like he was just looking to rob the place. Lying to his supervisor later makes it look like he was in the habit of doing this on a regular basis. In the surviellance video he was on the phone as he entered the house, and it was probably his buddy with the moving truck.

This guy's defense is that there was a funky smell. Do you believe he thought he was going to be the first man in history to bring somebody back from the dead who had been gone so long that they started to stink?

How much faith would you put in an employee who broke into somebody's house and then lied to you about it.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
unless there is evidence of immediate danger to someone. There was no such evidence in this case.

yes there was. house trashed, bad odor and door open. if you think that is normal then please tell me the area you live so i can stay far away.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
im not getting it because nobody is giving a good answer. this guy did what any compassionate person would do in that specific situation. /thread

No. What most people do in this situation is call their boss, tell them what's happening, and discuss what should be done (go in immediately, call the police etc.)

Even not calling your boss, a compassionate person would not lie about what they did. If he truly felt what he did was right, he should stand up for it not lie about it.

I would at least partially be on this guy's side if he didn't lie, but he did.

My wife does general well being checks all the time at work (works at subsidized housing for people with mental health issues) and always calls the police first. And yes, it's happened before because of terrible smell and no one responding to knocks at the door. But she never entered the premises on her own.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
yes there was. house trashed, bad odor and door open. if you think that is normal then please tell me the area you live so i can stay far away.

The door was unlocked, not "open." Important difference. The bedroom door inside the house where they guy had no business "opened" when he knocked on it. He's lucky not to have gotten a face full of buckshot.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
No. What most people do in this situation is call their boss, tell them what's happening, and discuss what should be done (go in immediately, call the police etc.)

Even not calling your boss, a compassionate person would not lie about what they did. If he truly felt what he did was right, he should stand up for it not lie about it.

I would at least partially be on this guy's side if he didn't lie, but he did.

My wife does general well being checks all the time at work (works at subsidized housing for people with mental health issues) and always calls the police first. And yes, it's happened before because of terrible smell and no one responding to knocks at the door. But she never entered the premises on her own.

nobody argues he was trying to help. so, taking that into account, why did he lie about it? just think about it carefully.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
The door was unlocked, not "open." Important difference. The bedroom door inside the house where they guy had no business "opened" when he knocked on it. He's lucky not to have gotten a face full of buckshot.

pretty sure they said he knocked on the door and it pushed open? it wasnt latched. and the video seems to confirm that.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
nobody disputes that. however, everyone is claiming the home owner had every right to shoot and kill him. and they keep stating it!

Damn skippy! If I wake up to see some 300lb skinhead looking mofo with no neck in my bedroom doorway, he's got less than 2 seconds to explain himself or he's going out bleeding, if not feet first.

P.S. you're really grasping at straws at this point, just admit this guy was wrong to A)Enter the house and B)Lie about entering the house. Maybe you could post a picture of your beautiful yard that you must be so proud of.

Last edited:

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
because the homeowner was breaking laws and ignoring the officials trying to enforce them. you cant just ignore society and expect society to protect you.

So if someone decided to rob her, she wouldn't be allowed to defend her property?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Damn skippy! If I wake up to see some 300lb skinhead looking mofo with no neck in my bedroom doorway, he's got less than 2 seconds to explain himself or he's going out bleeding, if not feet first.

he tried explaining himself over and over. she never acknowledged him. i can assure you if she said "go away" he would have.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
An easier story to believe =/= a story which does not get him in trouble.

right. you have never lied about something you did on the job to protect your job? i have. whether i did the right thing or not, im going to say whatever i need to that i think will not get me fired. he made a mistake in that regard, but i can understand why he claimed he didnt go inside. just look at all the comments in this forum. even with video proof, everyone still thinks he was in there to rape her or steal.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
if someone tried to rob her, they wouldnt knock on both doors repeatedly.

Says who? Seems like a good idea if you would like to avoid robbing someone at gunpoint or getting shot.

There's basically two scenarios here.
Scenario 1: The woman didn't hear him knock. If so, then a man suddenly opened her bedroom door.
Scenario 2: The woman heard him knock and ignored it. So someone knocks on her door, then proceeds to come in even though you didn't answer.

In either scenario, unless they're yelling "police" I think it would be reasonable for anyone to assume that person had nefarious intentions.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Says who? Seems like a good idea if you would like to avoid robbing someone at gunpoint or getting shot.

There's basically two scenarios here.
Scenario 1: The woman didn't hear him knock. If so, then a man suddenly opened her bedroom door.
Scenario 2: The woman heard him knock and ignored it. So someone knocks on her door, then proceeds to come in even though you didn't answer.

In either scenario, unless they're yelling "police" I think it would be reasonable for anyone to assume that person had nefarious intentions.

he was yelling "code inspector" and he wouldnt be there if she wasnt breaking laws to begin with. so if she didnt reasonably believe he was who he said he was, then she is an idiot.

and if she really was deep sleeping, she wouldnt respond even if her bedroom door opened.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
right. you have never lied about something you did on the job to protect your job? i have. whether i did the right thing or not, im going to say whatever i need to that i think will not get me fired. he made a mistake in that regard, but i can understand why he claimed he didnt go inside. just look at all the comments in this forum. even with video proof, everyone still thinks he was in there to rape her or steal.

No one thinks he was in there to rape her or steal. They think he shouldn't have entered. And obviously this guy knew it too, otherwise why else would he lie about it.

The fact that he lied proves that even he doesn't agree with you. He knew what he did was wrong. Why would you lie about doing the right thing?

And yes, I often admit my own fuck ups at work, because I'm not an idiot and think stuff will stay hidden.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
No one thinks he was in there to rape her or steal. They think he shouldn't have entered. And obviously this guy knew it too, otherwise why else would he lie about it.

The fact that he lied proves that even he doesn't agree with you. He knew what he did was wrong. Why would you lie about doing the right thing?

And yes, I often admit my own fuck ups at work, because I'm not an idiot and think stuff will stay hidden.

ok. say you are right. he knew what he did was wrong. so, why did he enter again?