Count Me Out - the Obama Craze

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: TallPilot
We have never had such poor choices, before!

Skull & Bones candidate 1 v Skull & Bones candidate 2 (2004)

CFR candidate 1 v CFR candidate 2 or 3 (2008)

Pick your poison...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
OP forgot to mention that this is Ralph Nader's VP candidate:laugh:. Says quite a lot.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Dari
OP forgot to mention that this is Ralph Nader's VP candidate:laugh:. Says quite a lot.

Read the last line of the OP's post. It's there.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: GrGr

My bad. I didn't get that far into the rant:laugh:

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: GrGr

My bad. I didn't get that far into the rant:laugh:

LOL No need to read that much stuff. He's just trying to point out actual positions. We don't need positions. Just keep chanting... change, hope, yes we can... change, hope, yes we can...

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006

Again, I fail to see what that has to do with anything? The OP has nothing to do with "Vote Nader", even though if you asked him, the author would surely like for you to do so. The article simply points out Obama's voting record and examines how he is as duplicitous as the next guy. I guess I should expect that certain people are either too lazy to read the article or too challenged to consider the actual points made within.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Obama is beginning to smell like a peanut farmer from Georgia...

I don't care if he's achieving rock star status, the problems he's offering to fix don't offer up easy solutions.

Even if he's elected by a landslide, (unlikely BTW), a "mandate" by the people won't change the fundamental issues this country needs to address.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Jimmy Carter, he was an honorable man, and I suspect Obama is too, it's just that being a boy scout isn't gonna fix things.

The Clinton machine has another few waves of flying monkeys to release...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1

Again, I fail to see what that has to do with anything? The OP has nothing to do with "Vote Nader", even though if you asked him, the author would surely like for you to do so. The article simply points out Obama's voting record and examines how he is as duplicitous as the next guy. I guess I should expect that certain people are either too lazy to read the article or too challenged to consider the actual points made within.

Well, the article seems to try to find flaws in everything Obama did. Look hard enough and you will find flaws (some legitimate). But the people that support him like him as much for his policies as his character. The only people protraying Obama to be a rock star are the envious. The rest of us just want somebody different in Washington. I'm a Republican that used to be for the Iraq war. But I can't stomach the thought of voting for people that either continue to support it fullheartedly (McCain) or see which way the wind is blowing before offering their opinion (Clinton). And I sure as hell ain't going to vote for Nader.

Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

I don't care if he's achieving rock star status, the problems he's offering to fix don't offer up easy solutions.

Even if he's elected by a landslide, (unlikely BTW), a "mandate" by the people won't change the fundamental issues this country needs to address.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Jimmy Carter, he was an honorable man, and I suspect Obama is too, it's just that being a boy scout isn't gonna fix things.

I don't understand what people have against Carter. He did his best in awful times. Hell, the guy sacrificed his Presidency by actually trying to fight inflation. People make it sound like his presidency was the worst ever. It wasn't.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

As opposed to the other candidates...?

Obama's reach may exceed his grasp, but at least he's willing to try...which is more than I can say for most everyone else involved in politics today. It's certainly lightyears ahead of Hillary and McCain.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Remember Carter? Remember stagflation?

Stagflation was not his fault. He fixed the problem of run-away inflation. Nobody said it would be painless. Who would you rather have, a competent leader that tries to fix the nation's economic problems by making the tough and right choices (Carter) or someone that starts false wars and spends the nations's earnings away like a drunk sailor (Bush)?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
It's very important to listen to people who are against Obama to find out who Obama is because they will tell the real truth. Don't be hopeful. You know only chumps are hopeful. Don't follow anybody or you're crazed. You don't want to be crazed. People will laugh at you. You want to be suave and cool, emotionally dead, buried under tons of concrete where you can never feel anything again. Only the dead can't be hurt. Only the dead are safe. Don't allow yourself to be suckered my the merchants of hope.

When anyone questions Obama or says they don't plan to support him they get slammed for being a cynical jerk who has no hope for the future. How exactly is that any different from the tactic of questioning someone's patriotism when they, I don't know, refuse to wear an american flag on their lapel?

Feel free to contest the message, but characterizing anyone who doesn't view Obama as the bastion of sainthood as emotionally dead or hopeless makes you look like the chump. Currently Obama has support from just over 50% of democrats, and essentially zero republicans. Basically 75% of the country must be blind deaf and dumb according to you, since they couldn't possibly think that someone else might actually make a decent president. Now that's a cynical outlook.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: sirjonk
It's very important to listen to people who are against Obama to find out who Obama is because they will tell the real truth. Don't be hopeful. You know only chumps are hopeful. Don't follow anybody or you're crazed. You don't want to be crazed. People will laugh at you. You want to be suave and cool, emotionally dead, buried under tons of concrete where you can never feel anything again. Only the dead can't be hurt. Only the dead are safe. Don't allow yourself to be suckered my the merchants of hope.

When anyone questions Obama or says they don't plan to support him they get slammed for being a cynical jerk who has no hope for the future. How exactly is that any different from the tactic of questioning someone's patriotism when they, I don't know, refuse to wear an american flag on their lapel?

Feel free to contest the message, but characterizing anyone who doesn't view Obama as the bastion of sainthood as emotionally dead or hopeless makes you look like the chump. Currently Obama has support from just over 50% of democrats, and essentially zero republicans. Basically 75% of the country must be blind deaf and dumb according to you, since they couldn't possibly think that someone else might actually make a decent president. Now that's a cynical outlook.

Where did you get your numbers from?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: M0RPH
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: SSSnail
I think you're a bit loonie, moonie
Therefore, I won't get swoonie debating politics
Because after all, we know you're loonie
And speaking of spewing rhetorics
There's no place better to check than your repository, moonie.

Actually Moonbeam is most likely more normal than you or I!!

If you go back and read his past posts over last couple months pick any couple you will find that most of what he says is spot on!!

But you have to go deeper than just reading what he says.
You actually have to think about it. You will find that Moonbeam has a lot of things to say and that he is generally correct for the most part!!

Sometimes things are said to get you to think; which a lot of people on these forums are it seems incapable of thinking past there own noses!!

Peace!!

Yes, more people should speak in riddles, it shows such wisdom. Logical conversation is so overrated.

If it makes you think......
You use the word - LOGIC as if the ATOT forums are the bastion of logucal discussions!!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Actually I don't think you are being very fair. I have reserved my comments, I'm fairly sure, to people who attack Obama as a purveyor of false hope and mere rhetoric. I see the psychological root of that mental defect, a need not to have hope because of what it would awaken. You probably don't see what I see and therefore don't understand where I'm coming from. But it does seem that something about my approach makes you feel bad, or as I would say, more aware you already feel that way.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: M0RPH
Originally posted by: SSSnail
I think you're a bit loonie, moonie
Therefore, I won't get swoonie debating politics
Because after all, we know you're loonie
And speaking of spewing rhetorics
There's no place better to check than your repository, moonie.

Actually Moonbeam is most likely more normal than you or I!!

If you go back and read his past posts over last couple months pick any couple you will find that most of what he says is spot on!!

But you have to go deeper than just reading what he says.
You actually have to think about it. You will find that Moonbeam has a lot of things to say and that he is generally correct for the most part!!

Sometimes things are said to get you to think; which a lot of people on these forums are it seems incapable of thinking past there own noses!!

Peace!!

Yes, more people should speak in riddles, it shows such wisdom. Logical conversation is so overrated.

If it makes you think......
You use the word - LOGIC as if the ATOT forums are the bastion of logucal discussions!!

Someone once asked Mulla Nasrudin what they did with old moons. He replied that they cut them up to make 40 stars.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

The article doesn't simply point out his voting record, it's 99% opinion. You're showing your bias as clearly as the author is if you can't see that. The article takes votes that most readers know nothing about and then spins it to mean exactly what the author wants it to mean.... something negative against Obama. When you decide from the beginning that everything done by every politician is duplicitious, of course you'll read that bias into all information. The only real laziness is when a scholar refuses to look up every vote that Obama made, see which ones the scholar disagrees with, then look up Obama's stated reasons for voting the opposite way, and forming one's own decision. To instead rely on Obama's political enemies to define his position for you is laziness, the sign of being challenged, and a terrible place to start an examination of a candidate.

Obama has very different reasons for his votes than what the author states, and all of that information is out there. If this was an objective article, it would quote Obama's reason for the vote and analyze if his reasons hold up. Instead the author frames the vote through a warped lens, completely ignores Obama's perspective and stated reasons, and then offers his own unsubstatiated reasons for why Obama voted the way he did.

It's a hit piece by his political opposition, and the author has no desire to be objective. He simply cherry picks votes that can be easily twisted to the uninformed, and then attempts to persuade the reader that the reason for the vote is something nefarious. The article is full of insinuations, many of which can be proved false after research.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: yowolabi

The article doesn't simply point out his voting record, it's 99% opinion. You're showing your bias as clearly as the author is if you can't see that. The article takes votes that most readers know nothing about and then spins it to mean exactly what the author wants it to mean.... something negative against Obama. When you decide from the beginning that everything done by every politician is duplicitious, of course you'll read that bias into all information. The only real laziness is when a scholar refuses to look up every vote that Obama made, see which ones the scholar disagrees with, then look up Obama's stated reasons for voting the opposite way, and forming one's own decision. To instead rely on Obama's political enemies to define his position for you is laziness, the sign of being challenged, and a terrible place to start an examination of a candidate.

Obama has very different reasons for his votes than what the author states, and all of that information is out there. If this was an objective article, it would quote Obama's reason for the vote and analyze if his reasons hold up. Instead the author frames the vote through a warped lens, completely ignores Obama's perspective and stated reasons, and then offers his own unsubstatiated reasons for why Obama voted the way he did.

It's a hit piece by his political opposition, and the author has no desire to be objective. He simply cherry picks votes that can be easily twisted to the uninformed, and then attempts to persuade the reader that the reason for the vote is something nefarious. The article is full of insinuations, many of which can be proved false after research.

Very well put, yowolabi.

Politics is the art of the possible, a yes or no on what it was possible to bring to a vote. The idealist dreams his dreams of perfection and criticizes all who fall short while he himself can never bring his own ideas to a vote. What good is Ralph Nader to the welfare of the nation, were he God himself, if he can't get a single idea to be agreed to by a majority. A leader is a leader because he can lead.

A dreamer can only point to his dream. When you deal with the possible you deal with some really bad choices. Judgment is choosing the best. The job of the voter is to chose the leader who will lead in the direction of the voter's interest rather than special interests contrary to those of the voter and in steps that can actually be taken.

A leader is he who motivates from the ground up to create political pressure for change. You can chose that or you can chose to vote for those whose interests are already well established in Washington.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Remember Carter? Remember stagflation?

Stagflation was not his fault. He fixed the problem of run-away inflation. Nobody said it would be painless. Who would you rather have, a competent leader that tries to fix the nation's economic problems by making the tough and right choices (Carter) or someone that starts false wars and spends the nations's earnings away like a drunk sailor (Bush)?

IIRC, Bush isn't running...

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Where did you get your numbers from?

I was estimating. The country is roughly 50/50 dem/rep. Of the dem half, the primaries are very close with Obama leading Clintno by a few percent. Sorry I don't have superexact numbers, but that's pretty close.