Could we drop flyers/memos over Baghdad pleading with the conscience of the Sunni's and Shiites to stop killing each oth

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Drop flyers in their spoken language and appeal to their sense of love for Allah.. they are disgracing their religion and their country

Ask them if they truly think Allah wants them to kill each other.. they SUPPOSEDLY respect their God.. right? Well I highly doubt he wants them to kill ANYONE

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sadly enough, the mere fact that we have planes in Iraq capable of dropping those peace and love flyers illustrates why it won't work.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan
Drop flyers in their spoken language and appeal to their sense of love for Allah.. they are disgracing their religion and their country

Ask them if they truly think Allah wants them to kill each other.. they SUPPOSEDLY respect their God.. right? Well I highly doubt he wants them to kill ANYONE

Look at large scale genocide or conflict around the world since 1990. It's almost, if not always, involving one side as Muslim. The violent sect within that religion is a global pandemic, this violence is not unique to Iraq. The only thing that kept it peaceful was a murderous dictatorship that slaughtered them if they got out of line.

The violence in Iraq is a symptom of a violent ideology that they are trained in from birth. You?ll never resolve the violent symptom without removing the ideology that it spawns from. Iraq is merely a battle, and it is in the larger picture that you will find the current global war.

Once it is viewed from its entire scale, dropping flyers calling on their sensibilities pales in comparison to the violence the movement?s leaders command them to do by word of god.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You could try, but people who have chosen this course of action have their own ideas on the matter that are difficult to appeal to.

pcy

Nov 20, 2005

Topic Summary: People who love the same God should not kill each other

I completely agree.

However Christains havebeen doinfg the same thing (i.e. killing eachother on religous grounds) for well... 2000 years really.

Peter

Aug 1, 2006

Heh. Come on, people who "love the same God" have been killing each other for centuries.

Edit: Damn you pcy! :D

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
might have more luck if the notes were attached to bombs, they seem to understand that well enough??

bobdelt

May 26, 2006
if i promised virgins i'd be killing too... remember, theyre god wants them to kill.

"muslims love death" - bin laden

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I think pcy is the only one who has a clue when he wrote---However Christains havebeen doinfg the same thing (i.e. killing eachother on religous grounds) for well... 2000 years really.

Us Christians had a similar period---I believe we called it the 100 year war---where killing in the name of God flowered.

We also have to realize much of this is egged on by local strong men types---who say I will protect you from being killed---which soon morphs into kill them before they kill you.

This crap might stop with a real Iraqi central government--but neither the US army or the Iraqi government is stepping up to the plate while people are dying in droves---likely that count is up to around 600-700k that have died so far in this kind of senseless violence.---and its now around 3% of the population.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Your heart is in the right place, dahunan. And you know, it wouldn't hurt - and even Saddam has asked them to fogive each other and stop the violence.

It probably won't work too well, sadly, war is rough and addictive (read the good , short book "War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning").

Ignore Eaglekeepr's hate. People like him are the problem why war is so easy to continue.

Unfortunately, once war has broken out, as it has in Iraq because of our invasion, it's hard to stop - look at our own civil war, family members killing each other in the US.

But, it's good to try to reduce the violence.

WiseOldDude

Feb 13, 2005
Damn, it's too bad we didn't have airplanes during the Civil War in this country. After the first battles, we could have ended it by dropping notes asking everyone to play nice.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Sadly enough, the mere fact that we have planes in Iraq capable of dropping those peace and love flyers illustrates why it won't work.

proof??? links plz?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I hear y'all talking about our Civil War.. but it is being brought up as though we didn't learn anything whatsover from it.. Did we?

So, Civil War is just acceptable because other cultures have experienced a civil war?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: daniel49
might have more luck if the notes were attached to bombs, they seem to understand that well enough??

Yeah because "shock and awe" really solved something. These people know what violence is and are used to it just like they were used to Saddam and his tactics.

slash196

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
Uh, that will NOT work. The Sunnis and Shiites have a blood feud that AROSE from the fact that they worship the same god. I don't remember the specifics, or who's who, but way the heck back in the 1100s or so, there was a power struggle involving the succession of the caliphs (a caliph was basically the king of Islam, politically similar to the position Muhammad held, although obviously the caliphs weren't regarded as highly). There was some backstabbing and the caliphate passed out of the line of Muhammad, and the two sects have been killing each other ever since. I'm sure Wikipedia can elucidate the topic much further.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

It would be easier to drop flyers in their written language.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Let them have their civil war. This has been long building up and was finally released when their strong man was vanquished. In their minds there are debts to be repaid and fresh battles to be fought. The West, as always seems to be the case, is merely a spectator on the sideline with no understanding of the game being played right in front of them.

Whether it happens now or in 2046, this was surely still going to happen. Personally I figure it's better that it happens now, before Iraq or its neighbours possibly got nuke technology and complicate the whole mess even further.

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: pcy
However Christains havebeen doinfg the same thing (i.e. killing eachother on religous grounds) for well... 2000 years really.

Present Perfect Progressive: "The present perfect progressive expresses an action that recently stopped or is still going on. It puts emphasis on the duration or course of the action."

Since I'm no expert on the subject, I did a quick search, which yielded the following: Lecture 6: Europe in the Age of Religious Wars, 1560-1715.

It would appear that your assertion is completely false, while your use of the present perfect progressive tense is questionable, to say the least.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005

Its simply the 'religion of peace' in action. There is no stopping this Shia-Sunni hate by simply dropping flyers appealing to reason. This hatred is not contained simply in Iraq, but all across the world where these two communities exist. About a few months ago, the Sunni fundamentalists bombed a Shia shrine and killed dozens of innocents in my nation.

And oh yes, my country is not Iraq.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

Look at large scale genocide or conflict around the world since 1990. It's almost, if not always, involving one side as Muslim
. The violent sect within that religion is a global pandemic, this violence is not unique to Iraq. The only thing that kept it peaceful was a murderous dictatorship that slaughtered them if they got out of line.

The violence in Iraq is a symptom of a violent ideology that they are trained in from birth. You?ll never resolve the violent symptom without removing the ideology that it spawns from. Iraq is merely a battle, and it is in the larger picture that you will find the current global war.

Once it is viewed from its entire scale, dropping flyers calling on their sensibilities pales in comparison to the violence the movement?s leaders command them to do by word of god.

Mostly Incorrect - Look at Africa were MOST of that "Large scale genocide or conflict" has happened since 1990 or is happening today. Only in few instances has it anything to do with Islam. I can think of one off that top of my head. Maybe 2 if you count Somalia. If you read about that part of the world you will see that many of those issues have to do with Ethnic tensions drummed up and escalated by political turmoil. In one of the lasts genocides (Not counting Sudan's current genocide) Rwanda - It was carried out by Christians against Christians, while being aided BY Christians. Africa is about 45% to 40% with Christianity beating out Islam. This would INCLUDE north Africa which is mostly Islamic - so in Sub-Saharan Africa where MOST of the "Large scale genocide or conflict" has happened, it usually is predominantly Christian membered conflict. If you want to go back 40 more years you can see it again. Africans regardless of religion fighting against euro colonialism for independence. Who were they fighting against? (Hint: They were not Arab Nor Muslims) Christian whites! And because that is true that doesn't make it a "Christian Issue" nor a "White issue" Although they may play SMALL parts it was a "Colonial Issue" that they were fighting against. Dont let religion TRUMP all other reasons behind conflicts. It was not because of ISLAM that Algerians fought the French. Threads and discussions are more effective if you actually learn something instead of just spouting statements with no examples, and what large scale genocides or conflict did you have in mind besides Iraq? Can you post without googling it?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: eskimospy

proof??? links plz?

Stop being deliberately obtuse.

What I was saying was that our country's leaders, who profess a profound faith in a religion of peace and love, now have bombers stationed all over their country after we leveled it.