Could Use Some Help on OC'ing My Q6600

Scionix

Feb 25, 2009
Hey guys, so, after monkeying around with frequencies/voltages repeatedly, I just can't get a stable Prime95 OC on my Q6600. It's B0, which I hear is favorable for OC'ing, and It's water cooled, so temps aren't a problem, but I can't friggin' get a stable voltage combination it seems. Anyone have some reccomendations? Is it some obscure BIOS option I need to disable?

In my 750i BIOS, these are the voltage options:
-CPU CORE
-CPU FSB
-MEMORY
-nFORCE SPP
-NF200 VOLTAGE LEVEL

and four things labeled GTLVREF LANE 1, 2, 3, and 4

In coretemp, I see my VID voltage level (1.2750v), but I can't figure out how to change that in BIOS or if I even need to in the first place >.> I honestly don't see why I can't take this thing to around 4Ghz, I feel like I'm making some sort of stupid mistake :(

Any help would be awesome.

Scionix

Feb 25, 2009
Originally posted by: angry hampster
1: 750i is a weak cheapset.
2: CPU core is the voltage you want to adjust first
3: You won't get 4GHz.

1.) Sorry for being stupid, but what exactly does this mean? :(

2.) Alright. Do you have any sort of ballpark estimate on how this scales in comparison to CPU frequency? IE: 1.4v core can get you to 3Ghz, or what have you.

3.) That's fine. What should I shoot for?

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
the average OC for a Q6600, assuming you have decent cooling for it as they run very hot, is 3.2-3.4ghz with some reaching 3.6ghz (like my B3 Engineering sample).

Usually a Q6600 will be good for a maximum of 1.5v Vcore, but you should need much less than this to reach 3.2 - 3.4ghz usually 1.35v or 1.4v is a good start, but see how high you can go on the stock Vcore first, a lot of Q6600's can reach 3ghz or close to it on stock volts, but this isn't a given.

Remember to keep an eye on your temps anything over 65c for a Q6600 is getting hot, however under full load mine can excede 70c on a hot and keep on running with out so much as a wimper.

You may be limited in your overclock by your 750i chepset mobo, the 750i isn't known for producing decent overclocks (same as most 6 and 7 series Nvidia Chipset boards) you may have to bump up the Northbridge voltage a notch to reach a higher FSB setting.

Just be aware that you may have to reduce your memory speed in order to reach a higher FSB, try to keep the memory close as possible to stock while you figure out how high you can overclock your CPU, this will eliminate any issue relating to the memory.

Once you acheive a suitible overclock and it's stable you can then try adjust the speed and timings of the memory for better performance, if you memory can do it try to get as close to a 1:1 memory/fsb ratio as you can go (usually a 2.0 setting in most Bioses).

Scionix

Feb 25, 2009
Originally posted by: Stumps
the average OC for a Q6600, assuming you have decent cooling for it as they run very hot, is 3.2-3.4ghz with some reaching 3.6ghz (like my B3 Engineering sample).

Usually a Q6600 will be good for a maximum of 1.5v Vcore, but you should need much less than this to reach 3.2 - 3.4ghz usually 1.35v or 1.4v is a good start, but see how high you can go on the stock Vcore first, a lot of Q6600's can reach 3ghz or close to it on stock volts, but this isn't a given.

Remember to keep an eye on your temps anything over 65c for a Q6600 is getting hot, however under full load mine can excede 70c on a hot and keep on running with out so much as a wimper.

You may be limited in your overclock by your 750i chepset mobo, the 750i isn't known for producing decent overclocks (same as most 6 and 7 series Nvidia Chipset boards) you may have to bump up the Northbridge voltage a notch to reach a higher FSB setting.

Just be aware that you may have to reduce your memory speed in order to reach a higher FSB, try to keep the memory close as possible to stock while you figure out how high you can overclock your CPU, this will eliminate any issue relating to the memory.

Once you acheive a suitible overclock and it's stable you can then try adjust the speed and timings of the memory for better performance, if you memory can do it try to get as close to a 1:1 memory/fsb ratio as you can go (usually a 2.0 setting in most Bioses).

Awesome, thanks.

Unfortunately, my RAM (which is quite good), is held back by my 1066MHz limit on the 750i. I'll shoot for 3.6 GHz, but I'll settle for 3.2-3.4 :D

And temps never get above 50C even at 100% load, so temps should be fine :D

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Scionix
Originally posted by: Stumps

Awesome, thanks.

Unfortunately, my RAM (which is quite good), is held back by my 1066MHz limit on the 750i. I'll shoot for 3.6 GHz, but I'll settle for 3.2-3.4 :D

And temps never get above 50C even at 100% load, so temps should be fine :D

but how do you know? you haven't yet OC'd your CPU, once you start applying more Vcore to it temps will start to sky rocket very quickly.

If you want 3.6ghz try it at 1.5v to see if it will work, you can always reduce the Vcore after you reach 3.6ghz but you CPU won't last long at any Vcore settings over 1.5v, even if you are using watercooling, the Q6600's run bloody hot at these speeds.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
20c from tJunction (or 80C) under linpack is where I'd draw the line. This roughly ends up being around 65 - 70C under Prime 95 load, which is Ideal. (But use linpack cause it stresses it more )

As everyone said 4ghz is not very likely to happen, but 3.2 - 3.6 is within reach depending on your chip.

I'd start at 3ghz (333fsb) at stock voltage (set it to ur VID manually)
Then go for 350fsb (3.15ghz) etc.

Anyways go in small jumps each time running a quick stress test. Something like a couple iterations of prime or IBT.

Scionix

Feb 25, 2009
Hey guys, thanks for all the help.

I've got it at 3.4GHz stable, ran Prime95 overnight and it's still kicking, so I think I'll keep it at that.

Again, thanks for the help. And temps still didn't get over 50C :D