Could somebody explain to me why some people find Evolution offensive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Velk
Originally posted by: Pandaren
I knew many people, some of them my good friends, who said they found the theory of Evolution to be disturbing or offensive. When I asked why, it usually had to do with disgust for monkeys and other apes and denying any human connection to them.

It's quite simple. The bible says that it did not happen that way. If it *did* happen that way, the bible is wrong. What else is it wrong about ?

It's a dangerous line of thinking...

that's why people shouldn't take the bible literally.

/thanks the Jesuits for 4 years of theology classes

Isn't taking the Bible literally part of your religion?

If you aren't taking the Bible literally, then how are you deciding which of it you keep, and which of it you choose to discard or not take seriously?

If the Bible is wrong about he creation of man, isn't it natural to asusme there are going to be other errors?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Pandaren
Intelligent Design taught in my home state of Pennsylvania.

I knew many people, some of them my good friends, who said they found the theory of Evolution to be disturbing or offensive. When I asked why, it usually had to do with disgust for monkeys and other apes and denying any human connection to them.

But WHY is it disgusting or offensive to suggest that humans may have evolved from ape-like creatures? They are animals that are no more disgusting than cows or dogs or kangaroos. Would people feel differently if we were said to descend from a more familiar animal like a cat? Why is it so offensive that a species could evolve to adapt to a wide range of environments?
1) It threatens the beliefs of those who believe in the literal translation of the Bible. IOW, people who distort the meaning of the Bible.

2) It presents a challenge to the faith of the fundie Christians. They live for challenges. They feel when they win little battles, like getting stickers on books, it validates their faith. They are very weak-minded and insecure people.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
I find it offensive because monkeys and apes throw their own feces around. Not even gerbils do that.

Evolutionary link to Polititians ?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Because it's inconsistent with a literal interpretation of the Bible. It's that simple. Most other theories aren't directly incompatble with the Bible.