Could I mod my subwoofer?

salz

Apr 15, 2002
I have the Altec Lansing 641 speakers and as many of you may know, the subwoofer for this setup is the size of a mid-size tower and weighs about 50 pounds. I want to put this beast on wheels (forunately, there are already rubber feet, so I just have to replace those), but I was also thinking about adding some heavy duty case handles to the top of the case. Since I take my computer back and forth from college, this would make transporting the subwoofer much easier. However, could this effect the sound of the subwoofer? I'm assuming it would, so that's why I'm asking, but I could be wrong. What do you think?

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
I think you could do it without affecting it much. The wood on the outside isn't supposed to vibrate too much (or is it plastic?) If you're going to screw something into the outside (if it's wood), make sure it's in their tight and sealed. That's both to keep it from ripping the material up and also to keep the screws from vibrating loose. Apply a liberal amount of carpenter's glue to the threads of the screw before screwing in and that should do fine.

As long as you don't screw into the speaker cone or block the port(s), it shouldn't affect the sound too much.

Eric

ericboo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
I would say get some of those straps that people use to carry their desktops. If the handle starts to rattle, I doubt you would be happy.

salz

Apr 15, 2002
I could get the straps, but I think one or two heavy duty case handles would add a little aesthetic touch to the big, black and blocky case. Some rubber washers should take care of any screw rattling, and the handle is spring loaded (although I don't know how strong the spring is) so I don't think it would rattle. Maybe I'll just stick to regular case handles with rubber washers (but that's so boring! ;) ).

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Well, audio is my thing, so I can be a bit helpful here. It basically won't change a darned thing. What I would do personally is take the sub out of the enclosure, drill holes for mounting the handles, and then use nuts and bolts to secure them. Screws are really fine, but with that kind of weight I'd personally feel better knowing that the screws can't tear out of the cabinet. A few bolts and washers would really take care of that :D