Could food delivery robots be coming to a town near you?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I came across this story on NBC about a company named Starship Technologies that has rolled out a pay for service food delivery robot that can bring you hot meals. With all of the controversy over self driving cars and people losing their jobs I though this story might generate some interest. If fast food companies serving the inner city begin using this technology it will definitely bring a new level of convenience along with a whole host of possible issues. What do you guys think about this service?

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
So an alarm is going to deter thieves from stealing the food or the robot? Yeah, right.

Fern

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think anything that automates mundane work is a wonderful thing.

Think how great it will be as technology advances and people are freed from their mundane work and the boring setting of four walls and a roof as well as regular meals. I suppose they could have a robot deliver the latter.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
No thanks.

075ccbebb48b21efbc68f8cb8150a3c6.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So make a faraday cage, order pizza to phony addr, bag robot, sell robot, profit?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Nope not going to happen anytime soon. It will cost too much to repair and maintain the robot from thugs tearing it up and stealing the food and or the robot.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Nope not going to happen anytime soon. It will cost too much to repair and maintain the robot from thugs tearing it up and stealing the food and or the robot.

-some guy on the internet going with his gut.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Think how great it will be as technology advances and people are freed from their mundane work and the boring setting of four walls and a roof as well as regular meals. I suppose they could have a robot deliver the latter.

Freed from a home and meals? Then support basic income and see such meaningless fears evaporate.
The only thing holding us back from embracing the future is our archaic desire to leave people behind.

*word correction

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I dunno... would you fuck with "RoboCop the Pizza-delivery guy (bot)". I wouldn't.

Just arm the bots, and program them to shoot to kill, should anyone try to ambush them. Then set them loose on NYC streets. Clean up petty crime in no short order. Win-win!

Reactions: pcgeek11

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Like you know anything about it. LOL :)

Am I the one making dumb claims on the internet? No. I know you are probably a delivery person and this has got you all triggered but some of us welcome the new tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I dunno... would you fuck with "RoboCop the Pizza-delivery guy (bot)". I wouldn't.

Just arm the bots, and program them to shoot to kill, should anyone try to ambush them. Then set them loose on NYC streets. Clean up petty crime in no short order. Win-win!

They'll probably see White people as more aggressive because the brightness of White skin in contrast to darker colours makes them look hostile more often. This will result in a statistically greater incidence in the shooting of Whites in comparison to their share of the population.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Freed from a home and meals? Then support basic income and see such meaningless fears evaporate.
The only thing holding us back from embracing the future is our anarchic desire to leave people behind.

I'm open for suggestions.

Where does basic income come from? Perhaps you can walk me through how this works and how it's implimented?

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Does the cost of loss via whatever you can think up cost less then the cost of a human?
Am I the one making dumb claims on the internet? No. I know you are probably a delivery person and this has got you all triggered but some of us welcome the new tech.
Maybe if the human was getting paid a living wage with benefits (including a company owned vehicle) like liberals like to promote , but then again phony liberals only care about that as a talking point because when it comes time to reach in their pocket they try to out do the conservatives in showing the world how they can squeeze blood from a stone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/30/pizza-delivery-charge_n_4694554.html

How Your Pizza Delivery Guy Is Getting Stiffed This Super Bowl
Contrary to what some customers might think, those fees don’t necessarily go to the men and women delivering the pizzas. In addition to their small hourly wages, delivery drivers get reimbursed for the cost of wear and tear to their cars, but the reimbursement rate has nothing to do with the delivery fee. In fact, it usually adds up to about half the fee that customers are charged. Some customers, meanwhile, spot the delivery charge on the receipt and decide to skimp on the tip.

The way many drivers see it, the fees serve as a discrete price increase that ultimately eats into their pay.

“Unfortunately, driver reimbursements have not gone up in sync with those delivery charges,” said Greg Maschok, who’s been delivering pizza for nearly 11 years and runs a lively online message board devoted to drivers’ issues. “A lot of people are under the assumption that the driver gets it. The delivery fees hurt our tips, and our tips are the main reason we do this job. I’d love to see them go away.”

The fees aren’t just the subject of online posts from drivers like Maschok — they’re now the subject of lawsuits. In Minnesota and Massachusetts, drivers have filed suits against Domino’s, claiming that by charging such fees and then keeping them, the company is violating state laws. This month, a Massachusetts judge sided with the drivers in denying Domino’s request to have that lawsuit thrown out.

The legal question in that case is whether or not Domino’s does a sufficient job in letting customers know that the drivers don’t get to keep the fee — or, in other words, that customers need to be tipping on top of that charge, since many drivers, like restaurant servers, are paid below the normal minimum wage and rely on gratuities to get by.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Delivery_Driver/Hourly_Rate

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Maybe if the human was getting paid a living wage with benefits (including a company owned vehicle) like liberals like to promote , but then again phony liberals only care about that as a talking point because when it comes time to reach in their pocket they try to out do the conservatives in showing the world how they can squeeze blood from a stone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/30/pizza-delivery-charge_n_4694554.html

How Your Pizza Delivery Guy Is Getting Stiffed This Super Bowl

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Delivery_Driver/Hourly_Rate

Are you trying to say liberals dont tip? lol. You guys have the worst arguments.

6 bucks an hours = $240 a week. Plus benefits (unemployment and what not) lets say $100 per week. 340x52x3 (because a robot doesnt sleep) = $53040 per year. A robot would have a amortization schedule of what 5 years? 265200 over 5 years is the cost of the 3 humans the robot replaces at $6 an hour. Living wage doesnt matter. Its going to happen regardless.

What we need is a transition in the economy. something like this but you fucktards will cry about it as your jobs go away...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nccryZOcrUg

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005

Send Johnny 5 in friendly areas for good CSR.:D

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
pretty sure automated food delivery would be a car that pulls up and you go out and get your stuff. At least for now.