could a wrt54g be used to bridge a connection?

NleahciM

Aug 20, 2003
Hi - recently I've discovered local Internet services to be astoundingly expensive. ($45/month and you have to buy your own modem!) So I've been looking for other options. I found that one of my neighbors has high speed Internet access - and he is willing to share it with me. He has a wireless router - and I have a WRT54G. Is there any way for me to bridge the two networks? My end goal would be to be able to connect wirelessly to my WRT54G which would be wirelessly connected to that other network. Is that possible? My WRT54G is a V2 and is running the latest sveasoft build. Thanks!

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
there is a 3rd party firmware for the WRT54G that can do this, but I forgot the name. maybe some other member can tell you, or maybe you can do a search for "WRT54G firmware"

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Sorry, I missed that :)

You would need to use the WDS function of the firmware. Basically on your router, you enter the wireless MAC address of your friend's router (the wireless MAC can be found on the status page). And he would enter your wireless MAC on his (he will also need the sveasoft firmware).

You do not need to use the same SSID, since WDS uses the MAC, but you will need to use the same security. The WPA functionality may or may not work, since apparently the WPA implementation is a blackbox to Sveasoft. But WEP will work without a problem.

Also check the forum that I linked, there are many helpful threads on WDS.

NleahciM

Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: STaSh
Sorry, I missed that :)

You would need to use the WDS function of the firmware. Basically on your router, you enter the wireless MAC address of your friend's router (the wireless MAC can be found on the status page). And he would enter your wireless MAC on his (he will also need the sveasoft firmware).

You do not need to use the same SSID, since WDS uses the MAC, but you will need to use the same security. The WPA functionality may or may not work, since apparently the WPA implementation is a blackbox to Sveasoft. But WEP will work without a problem.

Also check the forum that I linked, there are many helpful threads on WDS.

Well he doesn't have a WRT54G - he has a D-Link DI-614+. Is it still doable?

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Yeah WDS isn't going to work with your friend's router. The client mode is good idea, but I haven't gotten it to work with any version of the sveasoft firmware, and that was with two WRT54GS's.

But its definitely worth a shot.