Costco vs. Sam's Club

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I currently have a Costco membership and use it mostly for nonperishable/semiperishable groceries (butter, eggs, flour, spices, seltzer, etc.) and sometimes for things like eye exams or tires or the occasional appliance purchase. Through my work I can get a Sam's Club membership for $15 and it comes with a $15 prepaid membership card, so basically I can get the membership for "no cost." Both of these stores are the same distance away from me. Is it worthwhile to have memberships to both places or not? My household is only two people so we still purchase most of our fresh produce from a regular grocery store.

Last edited:

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I have memberships to both. They have enough different items that it makes it worth it for me.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I used to have Sam's and Costco memberships and we had both stores within a mile of each other too so I shopped both a lot. Back then Costco was considerably better in both price and selection.

More recently the local Sam's shut down and I now live alone so I buy a lot less stuff and thus I don't really shop at either one much anymore. I tag along with a friend whose still a member when I need something from Costco.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I would sign up for both except the Sam's is located about an hour from me, and I can do most of my Costco shopping (tp/paper towels etc.) on my lunch break at work. Our friend has both and they actually prefer Sam's for stuff like meat, they said Costco meat hasn't been as good recently. I don't typically buy groceries from Costco so can't comment on the meats, but I know Sam's has certain items that Costco doesn't have sometimes (ie certain types of camping chairs or products for our travel trailer etc.). Prob doesn't help your situation but if it were me I'd sub to both to try it out.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Since your employer is paying for the membership cost why not at least give it a try especially considering they are equal distance away from you. We used to have a membership to both a long time ago when a member here posted a really great deal for a Sam's membership in the hot deals section.

What we found out was that Sam's has some things that Costco doesn't and vice versa. We are no longer Sam's members though because it is 20 minutes(one way)further drive away from us but since they are equal distance for you it might work out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If it doesn't you can always cancel after the year is up so you won't be out anything right?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Sams is part of the Arkansas Klan so that's a full No Go for anything associated with them.
Who owns Sam's club?

I was thinking of trying it just for a year just to see what they have different. But I do love Costco and a lot of the brands they have there. And one thing that's always made me happy about shopping at Costco is that they pay way above the industry average in wages. Wall Street critiques them for that, they want to see them make more profits, But those in charge of Costco have so far held to their values of valuing labor more than the pure capitalists want them to. As a progressive I like those values.

I got to respect that and put my money in their pockets if I'm going to shop at a warehouse club.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I have memberships to both. I now go to Sams over Costco as they have booze in the store, where it is in a store inside of Costco. I get gas at Costco though as Sams doesn't have gas.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Who owns Sam's club?
It's a division Wal-Mart Inc. We like Costco a little better to but each one has their strong point and weak points. We LOVE the gazebo we bought from Costco a couple of years ago and their return policy is hard to beat even to the point were people abuse it. Which is sad because eventually they won't be as lenient.

Reactions: Captante