Costco Signature Vodka

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
Has anyone see the Costco brand vodka local to them?

I have heard about it, but never seen it in my Michigan store.
It's supposed to be very good and priced nicely.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
I'm sure it's relabeled vodka...find out the source and I might be interested.

Costco is known for high quality generics. I wouldn't be surprised if it was top shelf vodka.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
I've heard rumors that its Grey Goose. From the few reviews I've read from Googling, it sounds great.. and at about $30 for 1.75L, its a great deal.. if I could just find it.

I agree about Costco top shelf generics.. I won't touch 99% of normal grocery store brand stuff.. but most every Kirkland item I've purchased has been at least good or better.

DayLaPaul

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Sweet, I hope they have this in my area. Not to hijack, but does anyone know how much Costco sells Grey Goose for? I've been told they have the best price, but I always forget to check it whenever I'm there.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
If this is true, I'll have to hit up a Cost Co to check...Michigan warehouses sell hard liquor, but I've never noticed a Kirkland brand vodka :(

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
Grey Goose at Costco is $45 for the big bottle. I'm not positive that its even a 1.75L though. It might be a good deal at Costco considering the only GG bottles in others stores are 750ml. The Kettle One at Costco is a better deal than GG, IMHO.
I find that liquor at Costco is not that great of a deal. I saw the same large bottle of Kettle One at Meijers (at normal price) for the same price as Costco.
Now, a $30 1.75L of Kirkland Vodka is a good deal.. if I could only find it. I havn't been to Costco in a few weeks, but I've never seen it at the Utica store.

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Costco in Delaware has it. Haven't tried it yet, but wouldn't be surprised if it's high quality stuff. Would definitely take a flyer on it if I needed to buy some vodka.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Costco's in NJ do sell alcohol.. maybe not all of them but the two I've been to do (brick and new brunswick areas).

As for the kirkland vodka.. cant be worse the smirnoff.. never saw it though.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
costco in austin sold alcohol in an attached, but separate, store area. costco in houston doesn't seem to, but i've only been to the I10 location

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
Grey Goose is overated/overpriced. Good marketing pays off for them though. Put a few ads in Maxim/Stuff, etc and there you have it.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TripleAAA
Grey Goose is overated/overpriced. Good marketing pays off for them though. Put a few ads in Maxim/Stuff, etc and there you have it.

Yep, do a "What vodka/bourbon/tequila is best...?" thread here and the answers will be the same as the current magazine ads.

DayLaPaul

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

Yep, do a "What vodka/bourbon/tequila is best...?" thread here and the answers will be the same as the current magazine ads.

You guys can't just say something is wrong without providing the right answer. I don't agree that Grey Goose is overrated, because I haven't really heard anyone rate it prior to tasting it myself. I will say that it is overpriced. So what good vodka do you experts recommend for someone on a tight budget (besides Kirkland)?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DayLaPaul
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

You guys can't just say something is wrong without providing the right answer. I don't agree that Grey Goose is overrated, because I haven't really heard anyone rate it prior to tasting it myself. I will say that it is overpriced. So what good vodka do you experts recommend for someone on a tight budget (besides Kirkland)?

I'm not a "vodka expert", but what you're looking for in vokda is pretty much a complete absence of flavor (unless you're buying a specific flavored vodka which is just dumb). You don't want vodka to be citrusy or floraly or minty or beefy or possessing the fine flavor of bacon. Vodka should be light and crisp and if you're mixing it like most people do then even that doesn't make much difference. Only if you drink it rocks or in a vodka martini should you get hung up and purity. I like Teton potato vodka. Not cheap, but quite a bit less than the ultra premium imports like Skyy, Grey Goose, Stoli and the like. If you're really on a tight budget Smirnoff is excellent. The people who dismiss Smirnoff are likely the vodka sissies who like lemony crap like GG. Smirnoff is VERY flavor free and is dirt cheap.