Cost of Illegal Immigration Rising Rapidly in Arizona, Study Finds

Hammerman

Jul 2, 2002
Arizona’s illegal immigrant population is costing the state’s taxpayers even more than once thought -- a whopping $2.7 billion, according to researchers at the public interest group that helped write the state's new immigration law.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/17/immigration-costs-rising-rapidlty-new-study-says/St

Thoughts? Opinions? On a side note:

Some current immigration laws as of 2010 IN Mexico.

1. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.
2. All ballots will be in this nation’s language.
3. All government business will be conducted in our language.
4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they are here.
5. Non-citizens will NEVER be able to hold political office
6. Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs. Any burden will be deported.
7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
8. If foreigners come here and buy land… options will be restricted. Certain parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.
9. Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies. These will lead to deportation.
10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively hunted &, when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be arranged. All assets will be taken from you.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
The majority of the nation is behind Arizona on this. This issue is a loser for Democrats at the polls. The more they talk about it, they more it will hurt them. Like the healthcare bill, the Democrats are out of sync with America.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
But what about the children! And theyre paying gas tax! Theyre just trying to provide for their families!

/sarcasm

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I always believe in - Dont like America, crawl back to whichever shithole you crawled out of.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
9) Has too much in it and seems to over reach.

edit: ah wait, that's Mexico. 2,3 make sense now, 9 seems way too much still.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sounds good to me. This stuff in theory is supposed to be how the federal government is handling things. Since they obviously cant or wont, I see no problem with a state taking it upon themselves to make it happen.

I wonder how long it will be before Virginia does something similar. Probably never.
In years to come I may decide to settle in an "anti-illegal" state like AZ.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Numbers 7 and 8 make no sense to me.

7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000
times the daily minimum wage.

If you want to get an immigrant permit, you can make an investment in Mexico, but it has to be last 40,000 times the minimum wage

For 2009, the Mexican minimum wage was:
57.46 pesos in Zona A (Baja California, Federal District, State of Mexico, and large cities), 55.84 pesos in Zone B (Sonora, Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, Veracruz, and Jalisco)
54.47 pesos in Zone C (all other states)[36]

Based on current exchange rate of .079, your minimum investment amount would be around $181K...

8. If foreigners come here and buy land… options will be restricted. Certain parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.

Foreigners cannot buy prime real estate property in Mexico.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
The majority of the nation is behind Arizona on this. This issue is a loser for Democrats at the polls. The more they talk about it, they more it will hurt them. Like the healthcare bill, the Democrats are out of sync with America.

Depending on what poll you read 50% of Dems are behind AZ on this, too. You make the mistake of thinking Democrats toe the party line on all issues. I think you are making a whopper in assuming most democrats give two shits about illegals and have no desire to pander to them whatsoever. IE Fuck them and don't let the door hit them on the ass on the way out. Do the ends justify the means? We'll see. As time goes by I am sure that percentage will increase barring some big breaking news incident in AZ.

BTW - the same goes for healthcare. As time goes by the fervor dies down and more and more will be for it. I know conservative family members who were dead set against it until they knew their 20+ year old bum not going to school kids could now be covered under their insurance.

I don't think either issue is going to hurt them to the tune of losing majority in either House or Senate though. They will of course lose seats in both, everyone knows this.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000
times the daily minimum wage.

If you want to get an immigrant permit, you can make an investment in Mexico, but it has to be last 40,000 times the minimum wage

For 2009, the Mexican minimum wage was:
57.46 pesos in Zona A (Baja California, Federal District, State of Mexico, and large cities), 55.84 pesos in Zone B (Sonora, Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, Veracruz, and Jalisco)
54.47 pesos in Zone C (all other states)[36]

Based on current exchange rate of .079, your minimum investment amount would be around $181K...

Ah - this is current state of affairs in Mexico. I misunderstood you, I thought you were proposing to accept those in US.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Sounds good to me. This stuff in theory is supposed to be how the federal government is handling things. Since they obviously cant or wont, I see no problem with a state taking it upon themselves to make it happen.

I wonder how long it will be before Virginia does something similar. Probably never.
In years to come I may decide to settle in an "anti-illegal" state like AZ.

Agree with the first part.

For the second, just vote people out. Funny thing though, someone sent me an email with a ton of signs seen in bars and one said:

If voting actually changed something, it would be illegal.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Researchers at FAIR – The Federation for American Immigration Reform -- released data exclusively to FoxNews.com

lol no way to fact check, and it's an obviously biased source, how did they reach this figure?

FAIR's new breakdown shows that illegal immigrants take $1.6 billion from Arizona's education system, $694.8 million from health care services, $339.7 million in law enforcement and court costs, $85.5 million in welfare costs and $155.4 million in other general costs.

Most of these issues would be fixed entirely with just enforcing current laws, not making new ones that encroach on the freedoms of legal hispanic residents.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Notice how this issue is starting to fade away from the headlines among top mainstream tv and news outlets? The democrats are trying to let it fade away while pretending for their left-leaning constituents that they are outraged: they know it's a major loser for them at the polls in November. Not only is most of the country in favor of the AZ legislation, I'd wager that and even higher percentage of older people are in favor of the legislation, and they tend to be a disproportionately high percentage of voters.

This is a clear winner for the republicans, they need to keep this in the forefront along with the health care debacle and federal deficit spending. Not that I think they'd do any better with these issues mind you, just that I think they can use those issues to gain traction.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
I m surprised, Foxnews is the first one and the last one to publish the illegal leaving the country because of recession.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Its not dying at all. Its been pretty constant, 56% want to repeal the law.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub..._events/healthcare/march_2010/health_care_law

And for the same reason(s) I stated earlier (like people actually finding out WHAT is in the bill and sometimes even more importantly what is NOT in the bill) the public opinion will change. The polls that will matter are the ones taken after some of the portions of the bill are actually rolled out. If the percentages stay the same after that I'll be surprised.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

yup, a friend of mine tried to get me to buy a condo in Play de carmen. i looked into it and learned that since we were foreigners we would never actually hold the deed the bank would. and it could be taken away at any time.

no thanks.