Corvette Z06 vs. Viper TA

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
put them on a road course and set what happens (hint, the Z06 will crush the viper)

also, they need to fix the goddamn wind noise. it's almost as bad as having a vertically oriented phone video.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Stupid roll racing. I'll hold my judgement until I see some more evidence. These are both low 11 cars so there could be something wrong with that z06 or the viper is a ringer.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Saw this come up on a Viper forum I frequent, was pleasantly surprised. I really expected the Z06 to make the current Viper completely irrelevant.

Granted this is a TA but still. A full on ACR would probably be a more accurate comparison with the Z06 + Z07 on a track but obviously we don't have one yet.

Viper GTS

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Granted this is a TA but still. A full on ACR would probably be a more accurate comparison with the Z06 + Z07 on a track but obviously we don't have one yet.

Doesn't the TA still hold the production car record at Laguna Seca? It handily beat the ZR1 IIRC.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Uhhh.... What exactly do you expect? Viper is a bit lighter with almost the same power. Anyone racing these things in straight lines really needs their heads checked. These cars are for turning.

edit: That and these are random folk's youtube videos.

Last edited:

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Doesn't the TA still hold the production car record at Laguna Seca? It handily beat the ZR1 IIRC.

If by .08 of a second is handily, then yeah.

I think a new ACR if it comes and the Z06/07 should both push those times by a bit. Winner will be interesting.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
If by .08 of a second is handily, then yeah.

Hey, I said I was reciting from memory and I thought it was around a 2-3 seconds difference.

Now that I look it up, there are three entries for the ZR1 at Laguna. All of them were 08 models and their times varied from 1:33.70, 1:35.80, and 1:38.70. So depending on what magazine or review you read, the TA (1:33.62) only barely edged out the ZR1 or destroyed it.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Hey, I said I was reciting from memory and I thought it was around a 2-3 seconds difference.

Now that I look it up, there are three entries for the ZR1 at Laguna. All of them were 08 models and their times varied from 1:33.70, 1:35.80, and 1:38.70. So depending on what magazine or review you read, the TA (1:33.62) only barely edged out the ZR1 or destroyed it.

Well, the interesting thing about that run is that they are so close, and it wasn't head to head same day times.

Regardless, when they get the C7Z06 out there, there will be a new number 2. (not number one, the 918 time won't be touched any time soon).

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Regardless, when they get the C7Z06 out there, there will be a new number 2. (not number one, the 918 time won't be touched any time soon).

If the Z06 takes the second spot, then I'd be mightily impressed. The current #2 is the way lighter, way more powerful McLaren P1. :)

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
If the Z06 takes the second spot, then I'd be mightily impressed. The current #2 is the way lighter, way more powerful McLaren P1. :)

Well that's a new lap time I haven't seen. I wouldn't be overly surprised if the car is in the very high 1:32s though.

I would expect the P1 to do better than that...

Last edited:

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
edit: That and these are random folk's youtube videos.

Yeah, but it's interesting to see what happens in the hands of everyday drivers with no particular biases or axes to grind.

BTW, the chase car for those shots was a Hennessy ZR1. Pretty badass chase car.

Mar 11, 2004
WTF did they do that on a public road?

I don't know if the Vette driver was just bad (really gets whomped when the Vette shifts), maybe babying the car a bit (since it only has 700 miles) or what, but that was a bit surprising, I was expecting more of the opposite.

I'm not shocked that the Z06 isn't really up to its full acceleration potential with the manual as I think the only way you'll get that is with the auto (left in auto mode), but I'm surprised that the Viper beat it every time. The rolling starts would mitigate tires I would think (and I thought the Z06 actually had the better rubber, but it might be optional and likewise the Viper might've had better rubber). Unless the aero package adds that much drag. Considering how close the normal Stingray is to the Viper even in acceleration I just can't imagine that adding nearly 200hp wouldn't tip a drag race in the Vette's favor.

I also wouldn't be shocked to find out that Dodge has made minor improvements to the Viper (actually I think that was almost the entire point of the TA package) that has led to improvement compared to the early media mules.

Stupid roll racing. I'll hold my judgement until I see some more evidence. These are both low 11 cars so there could be something wrong with that z06 or the viper is a ringer.

They do a standing race too, same result.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

So if I go toodle a TA around Laguna in 1:44 do we get to say that the ZR1 destroyed the TA? ;) :p

AFAIK virtually everyone goes by the fastest time.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
WTF did they do that on a public road?

I don't know if the Vette driver was just bad (really gets whomped when the Vette shifts), maybe babying the car a bit (since it only has 700 miles) or what, but that was a bit surprising, I was expecting more of the opposite.

I'm not shocked that the Z06 isn't really up to its full acceleration potential with the manual as I think the only way you'll get that is with the auto (left in auto mode), but I'm surprised that the Viper beat it every time. The rolling starts would mitigate tires I would think (and I thought the Z06 actually had the better rubber, but it might be optional and likewise the Viper might've had better rubber). Unless the aero package adds that much drag. Considering how close the normal Stingray is to the Viper even in acceleration I just can't imagine that adding nearly 200hp wouldn't tip a drag race in the Vette's favor.

I also wouldn't be shocked to find out that Dodge has made minor improvements to the Viper (actually I think that was almost the entire point of the TA package) that has led to improvement compared to the early media mules.

They do a standing race too, same result.

I'm not sure what aero it has, but it clearly isn't the Z07, so it's not super high drag and it wouldn't have sport cup 2's either.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
So if I go toodle a TA around Laguna in 1:44 do we get to say that the ZR1 destroyed the TA? ;) :p

No, it wouldn't because we are going by the fastest times. The ZR1's range shows what is possible. In this particular case, the ZR1's times depended on whether it had the optional PDE Performance Package, which included better tires and lighter wheels.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Was expecting to see a motortrend video or something, all I got was two douchebags racing on the highway. Corvette either has a school bus transmission or the guy has never been in a manual before.