Corvette Z06 10.85 sec 1/4 mile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Find me a car (stock from the dealer), that matches the Z06 in handling *and* straight-line performance for under $80k, and I'll eat my hat.

Perhaps the ultra-rare GTR when it comes out, who knows. I'm thinking it will be a pretty close matchup. If those runs at the ring are real times, it probably slightly exceeds the Z06 on technical courses, and slightly loses to the Z06 on a flat-out drag race.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Find me a car (stock from the dealer), that matches the Z06 in handling *and* straight-line performance for under $80k, and I'll eat my hat.

Perhaps the ultra-rare GTR when it comes out, who knows. I'm thinking it will be a pretty close matchup. If those runs at the ring are real times, it probably slightly exceeds the Z06 on technical courses, and slightly loses to the Z06 on a flat-out drag race.

Sport Auto (Horst van Saurma), the independent magazine that takes super cars to the Nordschleife apparently did a 7:50 with the GT-R.

http://www.rennteam.com/showfl...00332&page=0&fpart=all

Sportauto with the famous driver Horst has driven the new Skyline on N-ring.

*7:50 --- 157.787 km/h -- Nissan GT-R, 480 PS/1750 kg, Horst von Saurma, partially wet track (sport auto 12/07)*

Horst von Saurma, chief editor of sport auto magazine, completed about 100 kms with the new Nissan GT-R at the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Best time he achieved was a 7:50 on a partiallly wet track especially at one of the key passages so called Kesselchen.

With all the electronic aids the handling is absolutely perfect, the driver doens´t feel how the drive-by-wire system really works as the GT-R stay on track like on rails, always has grip, doesn´t lose control, higly computerized and a perfect racer for the street. A time less than 7:40 is pretty much optimistic, 7:50 shows the true potential of the car. And when the price stays at the announced level, it is a real bargain.

Now keeping the above in mind, the Z06 did a 7:49 with the same driver. I would say the GT-R is the closest rival to the Z06. The average driver is likely going to set better performance figures with the GT-R, but at a $10k+ premium, you could take enough driving school to offset that and make yourself a better driver.

Some others:

F430 7:55
997TT 7:54
Ford GT 7:52
GT3 7:48
599GTB 7:47

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: lurk3r
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Originally posted by: Estrella
Stock tires? And this was posted a long time ago in the old forums.

I found the answer to my own question. He has a run on the stock tires @11.22s.

This car is an excellent performer but, it does not turn heads. It doesn't LOOK like a nice car.

I just wish a Corvette could take corners like a 2005 A4 Cabriolet 3.0 QUATTRO.

/cough delusional

And there are no cheap upgrades for the Z06, anything that would help its performance is typically in the high four figures.

If you own a z06, who needs to upgrade? If you want a modder's car, get a stang.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: mariok2006

Sport Auto (Horst van Saurma), the independent magazine that takes super cars to the Nordschleife apparently did a 7:50 with the GT-R.

*7:50 --- 157.787 km/h -- Nissan GT-R, 480 PS/1750 kg, Horst von Saurma, partially wet track (sport auto 12/07)*

Horst von Saurma, chief editor of sport auto magazine, completed about 100 kms with the new Nissan GT-R at the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Best time he achieved was a 7:50 on a partiallly wet track especially at one of the key passages so called Kesselchen.

With all the electronic aids the handling is absolutely perfect, the driver doens´t feel how the drive-by-wire system really works as the GT-R stay on track like on rails, always has grip, doesn´t lose control, higly computerized and a perfect racer for the street. A time less than 7:40 is pretty much optimistic, 7:50 shows the true potential of the car. And when the price stays at the announced level, it is a real bargain.

Now keeping the above in mind, the Z06 did a 7:49 with the same driver. I would say the GT-R is the closest rival to the Z06. The average driver is likely going to set better performance figures with the GT-R, but at a $10k+ premium, you could take enough driving school to offset that and make yourself a better driver.

Some others:

I'm thinking that the wet track condition makes for at least a second in lap time, probably a bit more. But you're right, they're damn close. It proves the excellence of the Z06, a simple and elegant design, as opposed to the technical overload of something as complicated as a GTR.

Love that GT3 time!

Anyone take a Veyron through that course? I'm purely curious as to how it deals with technical circuits.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: mariok2006

Some others:

I'm thinking that the wet track condition makes for at least a second in lap time, probably a bit more. But you're right, they're damn close. It proves the excellence of the Z06, a simple and elegant design, as opposed to the technical overload of something as complicated as a GTR.

Love that GT3 time!

Anyone take a Veyron through that course? I'm purely curious as to how it deals with technical circuits.

They say partially wet, but if you think about it, the track is 20.8km long with a 1000ft elevation change, it's bound to be damp/wet somewhere...

As for the Veyron... An Australian magazine estimated a 7:40 time, but AFAIK no one has yet set a time, not even unofficially.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The latest Z06 gives even the twin turbo porsche guys a run for their money...most of the talk in those forums on Rennlist is how can they beat the Z06

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: AdamK47
You guys are funny
I get you Adam
rose.gif

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
i'd still take a corvette over the new gtr. it looks better to me in all honesty. and im not a muscle guy. but i will never fuck with a new z06 vette in my car in any form.(unless i had a 20B with 500hp, but thats another story he he)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
probably still get raped by the Z06. Even the the top exotics have a hard time with them. Plus I hear they are easy to drive fast.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Holy cow! Today, another Corvetteforum member beat both of Ranger's time for stock tires and slicks in the 1/4 mile. Jamie Furman broke the 11 second barrier with stock tires. His time for stock Z06 with stock tires was 10.98 @ 129mph. :Q
His time for stock Z06 with drag radials was 10.83 @ 130mph. :Q

That's freaking fast for a stock car. Kudos to the driver.

http://forums.corvetteforum.co...owthread.php?t=1876797

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
The Corvette in general is the best at dollars/performance. It's not going to haul your luggage or more than a passenger, but GM has a winning formula with it. It's the fastest, best handling car you can buy in its price class. Give credit where it's due, it might not be European, but it's.. well, better, unless you need a car that has some utility to it.