Corvette Z06 10.85 sec 1/4 mile

drpootums

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Video here

For any stock car (except tires) for under $70,000 to run under 11 seconds in the quarter mile is pretty impressive. I know this video is fairily old, but I just found this a few minutes ago and figured it would be worth a post on AT :D

This video just shows how much potential this car really has. I know it's a beast right out of the showroom, but imagine how fast you could make it go with a little bit of time and money....

....I want a Z06 now:(

(sorry, i guess this is a repost....)

Estrella

Jan 29, 2006
Stock tires? And this was posted a long time ago in the old forums.

I found the answer to my own question. He has a run on the stock tires @11.22s.

This car is an excellent performer but, it does not turn heads. It doesn't LOOK like a nice car.

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
The car's performance is amazing, but it is hardly stock.

People can easily under-represent the importance of racing tires, but they add way more performance than any other single mod. Lots of other cars would perform a lot better tested with drag/racing tires.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Estrella

This car is an excellent performer but, it does not turn heads. It doesn't LOOK like a nice car.

I just wish a Corvette could take corners like a 2005 A4 Cabriolet 3.0 QUATTRO.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004

This car is an excellent performer but, it does not turn heads. It doesn't have a BMW or Mercedes logo to brag about.

Fixed.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: AdamK47

And the first time someone loses to a Corvette after challenging someone at a light, he will be wishing his Audi had more power.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: exdeath

And the first time someone loses to a Corvette after challenging someone at a light, he will be wishing his Audi had more power.

I just don't see a cabriolet challenging a zo6 at a light unless the owner is just stupid or expects to lose and just have some fun.

Now, someone with an S4, maybe.

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

I just don't see a cabriolet challenging a zo6 at a light unless the owner is just stupid or expects to lose and just have some fun.

Even an RS4 would get its tail lights handed to it.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Happens to me all the time on this merge on the way home. It's like dude, you bought a car that was 0.1 seconds faster in the twisties than mine at the cost of being 10 seconds slower in a straight line or from a stop, why the hell are you revving at me in the terminating lane?

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
Wait....unless I missed something, I really doubt an S4 would be quicker than any C6, corners or no corners. Now, I myself drive an S2000, so I know the handling over pure speed argument...but surely a Vette with it's low weight and wide tires has far better slalom and skidpad numbers than a A4 Quattro. The RS4 might be closer, or even equal, but bringing things back into the real-world, the Vette would still be able to lap all but maybe the most technical of circuits quicker.

All that said, I do know that in REAL WORLD conditions, the AWD equipped car might be able to take corners better, but not because it has higher limits, but just because we're not all professional drivers, and AWD is so confidence inspiring.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: drpootums
Video here

For any stock car (except tires) for under $70,000 to run under 11 seconds in the quarter mile is pretty impressive. I know this video is fairily old, but I just found this a few minutes ago and figured it would be worth a post on AT :D

This video just shows how much potential this car really has. I know it's a beast right out of the showroom, but imagine how fast you could make it go with a little bit of time and money....

....I want a Z06 now:(

(sorry, i guess this is a repost....)

Except with a little time and money you really would not be anywhere with maybe except a new air intake, as getting more out of the vettes is very expensive.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Z06 is amazing...there's no way around it. Sure there are more expensive cars with better handling/refinement...but for way more than double the price.

drpootums

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Well, the Z06 is an excellent car in the corners if you know how to drive it fast. There have been countless magazines that have tested the Z06 and said that it had a lot of potential but was hard to drive fast without losing control. For this year, Chevy has put in a new rear suspension that has helped with this issue a lot. And though it is a good car in the corners, I realize that there are cars that are better in the corners, but with the Z06's power it would be pretty hard to beat around a track.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: drpootums
Well, the Z06 is an excellent car in the corners if you know how to drive it fast. There have been countless magazines that have tested the Z06 and said that it had a lot of potential but was extremely hard to drive fast without losing control. For this year, Chevy has put in a new rear suspension that has helped with this issue a lot. And though it is a good car in the corners, I realize that there are cars that are better in the corners, but with the Z06's power it would be pretty hard to beat around a track.

Not a new suspension per se, still has the leaf springs, it has new shocks.

Estrella

Jan 29, 2006
It doesn't matter what the cars stats are. All that matters is how fast YOU can drive the car. A Ferrari F430 or something with AWD will inspire infinitely more confidence and put out better lap times if one is an AVERAGE driver.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
It doesn't matter what the cars stats are. All that matters is how fast YOU can drive the car. A Ferrari F430 or something with AWD will inspire infinitely more confidence and put out better lap times if one is an AVERAGE driver.

I am definitely not an expert, but I would think an MR car such as an F430 requires more skills to drive fast than a FR car such as the Z06, even with its tricky-at-the-limit handling. Plus the Z06 will be far more lenient on gear selection.

Grip wise, I definitely agree that in the hands of a novice an Evolution will get around a twisty track quicker than an M3 or Corvette

Estrella

Jan 29, 2006
Originally posted by: mariok2006

I am definitely not an expert, but I would think an MR car such as an F430 requires more skills to drive fast than a FR car such as the Z06, even with its tricky-at-the-limit handling. Plus the Z06 will be far more lenient on gear selection.

Grip wise, I definitely agree that in the hands of a novice an Evolution will get around a twisty track quicker than an M3 or Corvette

Watch top gear and/or actually read about the F430's handling. It will quickly change your mind

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mariok2006

Watch top gear and/or actually read about the F430's handling. It will quickly change your mind

Shame on you!

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001

um. you mean wallowing and washing out with the front tires rolled over and howling? ;)

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Cabriolet: Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.82 g (C&D 2/03)
2006 Corvette Z06: Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.98 g (C&D 10/05)

...oh yeah, the A4 really takes the Z06 in corners... what corners would those be that you're talking about?

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
rofl. yeah, i was going to say, a vette would hand the a4 its ass in handling. your testing purebred sports car and damn near supercar in handling, against a car thats meant to have some sportiness to it while carrying the family. corvette hands down in all area's.
if you were to put some people who don't know a whole lot about cars and driving, put them in front of each of these cars, they would look at the corvette and probably wouldn't even glance at the audi for handling. its low slung, super wide tires and more aggressive looks would win it over in a second. and most of all.....the a4 is a friggin sedan. not a sports car.

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007

/cough delusional

And there are no cheap upgrades for the Z06, anything that would help its performance is typically in the high four figures.