Corsair PSUs with sideways cables

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
In my Define R6 I mount the PSU facing up. So the connectors would be on the side of the case blocked completely by the PSU shroud.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I believe this is for dual chamber cases like the O11 series where the PSU is on its side. PC cases have begun to evolve the last few years and with GPUs getting so big there might be more behind this potential change. If there's a use case for it I don't see the problem.

Reactions: Brainonska511

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I believe this is for dual chamber cases like the O11 series where the PSU is on its side. PC cases have begun to evolve the last few years and with GPUs getting so big there might be more behind this potential change. If there's a use case for it I don't see the problem.

Exactly. The "dual chamber cases" are perfect for this.
No, it probably won't work in MOST PC cases, but then again, neither will the side-mount/vertical-mount GPU adapters.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
In my Define R6 I mount the PSU facing up. So the connectors would be on the side of the case blocked completely by the PSU shroud.
Same here, I have a inverted design case, would face the shroud of my case, unusable. Cables aren't that big of a deal anyway, you do it one time with a new PC.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Same here, I have a inverted design case, would face the shroud of my case, unusable. Cables aren't that big of a deal anyway, you do it one time with a new PC.

I inverted my be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2 case. Their PSU shroud can be reversed along with everything else. Inverting the case would have required me to mount the PSU "fan up" which I'd rather not do. Unfortunately, the MSI Z690 Tomahawk was too big to fit the inverted motherboard tray right. I tried every possible combination. In the end, I reverted it back to normal. I don't have any of the colored light show stuff going on...yet, but I MIGHT one of these days.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I'm close to ordering the 850W version for my new build. It will work in a Fractal Design Pop Air (my new case), or any case that's at least 210mm in width, where there's about an inch of space between the side panel to run cables up behind the motherboard, which it seems like a lot of (mid-)tower cases have now.

I agree it does limit you in your case selection, though.

Reactions: dlerious

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I've used it in 4 systems already. Phenomenal design. Excellent PSU. Much prefer the 2x 8 pins over a single 16 pin. Corsair hit it out of the park with this PSU. I cannot wait until their HM and AX lines get similar treatment. It should work in the majority of popular cases, but if in doubt contact Corsair. They're more than happy to help.

Reactions: snoopy7548

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yep, just used it in my latest build and I was glad I chose it over the regular design. This is my first time building in a case where you route all the cables behind the motherboard, and I feel like if you have this type of case you really need the sideways PSU (especially if the case has spots for additional 3.5"/5.25" drives on the bottom like mine does).

1677338007049.png

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Much prefer the 2x 8 pins over a single 16 pin.
8 pin PCIe is 150 watts. So two of them 300 watts. 16 pin PCIe 5.0 connector is rated for (and some GPUs will expect to pull) 600 watts. Pulling 600 watts on a 300 watt supply doesnt sound great for stability.

I get that its not an issue unless you have a very hungry card but I cant see why you'd think that 2x8 pins rather than a native connector is better. Thats just bodging it.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
8 pin PCIe is 150 watts. So two of them 300 watts. 16 pin PCIe 5.0 connector is rated for (and some GPUs will expect to pull) 600 watts. Pulling 600 watts on a 300 watt supply doesnt sound great for stability.

I get that its not an issue unless you have a very hungry card but I cant see why you'd think that 2x8 pins rather than a native connector is better. Thats just bodging it.
8 pin can handle more depending on the spec of the wiring and setup of the power supply. Corsair rates certain high watt units at 300 watts per 8 pin. 2x 8 pins equals 600 watts plus 75 from the pcie slot. The new RMX Shift is certified for pcie5 and atx3 and Intel has approved it. It can handle it. So can the hx1200 a last gen PSU, it's been designed so that each 8 pin can deliver 300 watts of continuous uninterrupted power. From port to port the Corsair hx1200 or the rmx shift can supply 600 watts due to the custom design choices Corsair made vs other companies. The Corsairs that can use this cable are capable of delivering that much power. You can go ahead an email Corsair if you want confirmation.

I hate to link to this guy but he gives a simplified answer which you might appreciate.

Corsair does psu's well. The only other unit I could recommend at this moment in time is the silverstone I mentioned a few posts ago.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Picked up the RM1000x today. Originally had my eye on the MSI PCIE5 but had a last minute "why not"
Zero complaints and fits fine in Thermaltake S300.
Definitely check the width of you case before considering it.

wasabiman123

May 28, 2013
I did my new build with the 850x Shift in a Fractal Design Define 7 Compact, while it worked, the space in this case seems kinda narrow so I think I'd have been better off with a conventional PSU. Not sure the degree of cable bending I had to do is good. LOL.
Hopefully doesn't cause me problems, I'm not the best cable manager by far... Just need that side panel to shut...