Corrupt Texas Grand Jury System comes to light

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Link to Houston Chronicle Article

A disturbing glimpse into the shrouded world of the Texas grand jury system

"Sir, I don't know anything else," the young mother of three told a Harris County prosecutor on an April morning in 2003.

But the prosecutor, Dan Rizzo, didn't believe her. And neither did the Harris County grand jury listening to her testimony.

They seemed convinced that Ericka Jean Dockery's boyfriend of six months, Alfred Dewayne Brown, had murdered veteran Houston police officer Charles R. Clark during a three-man burglary of a check-cashing place, and they didn't seem to be willing to believe Dockery's testimony that he was at her house the morning of the murder.

"If we find out that you're not telling the truth, we're coming after you," one grand juror tells Dockery.

"You won't be able to get a job flipping burgers," says another.

Dockery tells the group that if she believed Brown actually killed people, she'd turn him in herself: "If he did it, he deserves to get whatever is coming to him. Truly," she says.

In May, I reported that a land-line phone record supporting Brown's contention that he called Dockery that morning from her apartment phone had mysteriously turned up in a homicide detective's garage, more than seven years after he was convicted and sentenced to death. The Harris County District Attorney's Office maintained Rizzo, now retired, must have inadvertently lost the record, and agreed to a new trial. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals inexplicably has sat on the case for more than a year.

Initially, Dockery's story meshed with Brown's. She told grand jurors he was indeed asleep on her couch at the early morning hour when prosecutors believed he was scouting venues. Dockery also confirmed the land-line call to her workplace - made at the same time prosecutors placed Brown at an apartment complex with suspects, changing clothes and watching TV news coverage of the crime.

Neither the prosecutor nor the grand jury would take Dockery's "truth" for an answer.

The young woman, a home health aide who made Subway sandwiches by night, had no attorney. No experience dealing with authorities. No criminal history aside from traffic tickets.

She caved. At Brown's capital murder trial in October 2005, Dockery was a key prosecution witness, helping seal her boyfriend's death sentence by telling the court that when she asked him if he did it, he had confessed, saying, " 'I was there. I was there.' "

How she got from one point to another would be hard to imagine. But thanks to a formerly confidential document in Brown's court file, we don't have to imagine.

Part of public record

In a rare, disturbing glimpse into the shrouded world of the Texas grand jury system, we can read with our own eyes the beginnings of the young woman's tortured evolution.

Appellate attorneys were so outraged by a 146-page transcript of Dockery's testimony before the 208th Harris County grand jury on April 21, 2003, that they entered it into the public record for judges to review.

In it, grand jurors don't just inquire. They interrogate. They intimidate. They appear to abandon their duty to serve as a check on overzealous government prosecution and instead join the team.

"Unbelievable," veteran criminal defense attorney Pat McCann said after I asked him to read the document. "When she went in there, Mr. Brown had an alibi. When they were finished browbeating her with her children, he didn't. That's the single biggest misuse and abuse of the grand jury system I have ever seen."

Rizzo and Lynn Hardaway with the DA's office declined comment, citing a state law that keeps grand jury proceedings secret.

At first, the fact that Dockery seemed to be "a good, nice, hard-working lady," in the words of one grand juror, gave her credibility with the group. But jurors soon seized on her vulnerabilities and fear.

"Hey, Dan," the foreman calls to the prosecutor. "What are the punishments for perjury and aggravated perjury?"

"It's up to 10 years," Rizzo responds.

"In prison. OK," the foreman says.

"Oh no," says another grand juror as if on cue, echoing other commentary that reads at times like a Greek chorus.

Every word challenged

"I'm just trying to answer all your questions to the best of my ability," Dockery says.

A bit later, a female juror asks pointedly: "What are you protecting him from?"

"I'm not protecting him from anything. No ma'am. I wouldn't dare do that," Dockery eventually responds. As Rizzo and the grand jurors parse Dockery's every word and challenge each statement, she complains they're confusing her.

"No, we're not confusing you," a grand juror says. "We just want to find out the truth."

Although Dockery says repeatedly that she knew it was Brown on her couch that morning, the foreman tries to get her to subscribe to an implausible theory that it was somebody else on her couch.

She doesn't budge. The group takes a break - one of several.

When the grand jury returns, the foreman says the members are not convinced by Dockery's story and "wanted to express our concern" for her children if she doesn't come clean.

"That's why we're really pulling this testimony," the foreman tells her.

The foreman adds that if the evidence shows she's perjuring herself "then you know the kids are going to be taken by Child Protective Services, and you're going to the penitentiary and you won't see your kids for a long time."

'Think about your kids'

Rizzo goes on to accuse Dockery of misleading the grand jury. Then, after being told again and again to think about her children, Dockery changes her story a bit. She says Brown was not at the house when she left for work.

"No, no, no," she finally blurts out.

"One minute, Ericka," a grand juror says a bit later, apparently sensing an opportunity. "He wasn't in the house when you put your kids on the bus either, was (he)?"

"I'm trying to remember," she says.

"Think about your kids, darling," a grand juror says.

"I'm trying to remember," Dockery says.

"That's what we're concerned about here, is your kids," the foreman says.

"He was not at the house," a grand juror urges.

"We're as much concerned about your kids as you are," the foreman says. "So, tell the truth."

"He was not in the house when you put your kids on the bus, was he?" a grand juror says.

"Tell the truth, girl."

"Yes," Dockery says finally. "He was there."

A bit later, Dockery acquiesces on that point, saying that Brown was not in her house earlier that morning, either.

Pivotal phone call

There's a long break. Whatever happened during that time must have been profound. Dockery comes back in and tells yet another, completely different, story - that she left her house far earlier than she'd said previously, to rekindle a relationship with an old lover, and therefore doesn't know what time Brown left.

Rizzo, his patience seemingly wearing thin, suggests again he doesn't believe her story. "I think that you're up to your neck involved in this deal," he says.

He is intent on getting Dockery to admit she made a call to one of the suspects, as he says records show.

"I never called. I never called," she says.

"Girl, you just made a big mistake," a grand juror says.

One of them advises her to get an attorney.

"We're done," Rizzo announces.

And although Dockery had never been implicated in the crime, a grand juror closes out Dockery's testimony by leveling the harshest, most intimidating allegation yet.

"I think she was with him at the check cashing place."

Months later, Dockery found herself in jail charged with perjury for allegedly lying about what time she last saw Brown the day of the murder and whether she called another suspect. She faced bail she couldn't pay and, apparently, one cruel choice - stay locked up away from her children, or tell them what they wanted to hear.

Read Part II of the Story Here

This is absolutely unbelievable... that an innocent man went to jail and that the jury got to overstep their bounds illegally and put him in jail like this by strong arming a witness into lying on the stand. Apparently this isn't the first time either and there is a strong connection to minorities being targeted like this.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
So the trial jury is absolved of any responsibility in this case?

I think Texas has a lot of "innocent" people in jail. Most cops don't have a problem blurring the truth if it puts a bad guy in jail, even if he didn't commit the particular offense they're investigating. Most grand jurors feel like it's their duty to indict, especially if they're dealing with a "bad guy."

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Texas from what I am gathering in the few times visiting and from my sister is a bastion of authoritarian conservatism. My sister moved there 4 years ago. She was complaining to me about a few cop cases over the 4th july there where the cops basically killed people. And the people of Texas were completely fine with it because these cops are "heroes" and basically untouchable. In other words it sounds like most just assume the people had it coming if a cop shoots them.

She told he it is weird that she may actually vote democrat just for some balance. And that she would be considered a liberal down there where she is clearly a conservative in MN.

So reading a story like this doesn't surprise me at all.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Texas executes the mentally handicapped - why would we expect them to show ANY sort of compassion and understanding towards anything else?

So, when the process of justice is perverted at humanity's weakest point, why would they even stop there? They work their way upward and go after anyone, no matter what,.. until they get to the rich and powerful of course.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Yea most of your bible belt states are so ass back wards. They really ought to call them the "bubba belt" honestly. This is why I am a firm believer in getting rid of the death penalty. I really do believe we have more innocent people in prison and on death row than people want to admit. It is because of stuff like this. These cases are not isolated either.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Wow talk about leaning on a witness. Not surprised that this happened in Texas.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Honestly no surprise that something like this comes from Texas. Its what happens when you have a state full of terrible people and then put them in charge.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
She was charged with perjury when records show she told two different stories? She even admits she changed her story to fit the narrative the prosecution "wanted to hear"...

Outrage not found. Of course the guy was convicted. She lied so that he would.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Grand jury members get to interrogate/intimidate a witness? WTF?!

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Grand jury members get to interrogate/intimidate a witness? WTF?!

yea never heard of this and we had a very close friend get picked to serve on a grand jury for the year tour of service.

they met twice a month starting at 5:30pm and went until the prosecution was done presenting the case's. our county seat/courthouse is 50 miles away, talk about a royal pain in the ass.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
yea never heard of this and we had a very close friend server on a grand jury for the year tour of service.

they met twice a month starting at 5:30pm and went until the prosecution was done presenting the case's. our county seat/courthouse is 50 miles away, talk about a royal pain in the ass.
On my 2nd year here and all that we get are the facts of the cases from a detective. Nothing else and, amazingly, everything gets true billed.

Obviously, YMMV.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
She was charged with perjury when records show she told two different stories? She even admits she changed her story to fit the narrative the prosecution "wanted to hear"...

very easy to do when you are questioned under intense pressure.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
stopped reading after texas...

we all know they're right wing crazies does this shock anyone?

it's ok jesus will forgive them...

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
yea never heard of this and we had a very close friend get picked to serve on a grand jury for the year tour of service.

Good friend of mine just got done with his six-month GJ duty so I'll ask him; he hasn't said anything about questioning witnesses but he has talked about taking the prosecutors/DA's to task for bad cases/charges.

Apparently in his state the prosecutors/DA's get bonuses for convictions.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

You are displaying a stunning lack of empathy. The grand jury was threatening to take her innocent children away from her unless she said what they want to hear. They were literally willing to ruin the lives of these children unless she changed her story to match their unlikely theories. Wouldn't you protect your children at all cost?

And she didn't lie so that he'd be convicted...she lied because she was intimidated beyond her ability to bear. That was made abundantly clear in the article. I'm surprised you'd say that she lied so that he'd get convicted. I'd think you'd have some harsh things to say about that grand jury instead of this woman whom they attacked and tortured but I guess not.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
A friend of mine was hitch hiking from Kansas to Dallas , Texas......

He was stopped in almost every town that he had to go through by the cops.

He showed them ID and explained what he was doing! He even allowed them to go through his back pack and sleeping bag.......they all let him go on to Texas.....

Once he arrived in Dallas,Texas he was again asked for ID and the cops asked him some questions and immediately arrested him for having a knife that was 1/4 inch too long according the cops. Even though my friend was clean and nice and polite and allowed them to go through his stuff.......

When he finally went before the judge , 3 and 1/2 months later.....the judge did not care about why he was arrested! The judge said time served and cut him loose.......
My friend tried to get the judge to listen to him...finally the baliff told my friend-- you got lucky, leave while you can...lolol

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

I didn`t know they allowed children as young as you to post on these forums.....

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Disgusting abuse of government power. The usual idiots are blaming this on it being Texas in their typical masturbatory attempts to make it look like the other team is evil. Overzealous prosecutors are everywhere, threatening people with long prison sentences while giving them an option to please to "only" a few years in prison to help bolster their stats. I'm not sure how the grand jury doing it is any worse. Government IS power over people, is it really surprising that the people attracted to government service enjoy using that power?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Disgusting abuse of government power. The usual idiots are blaming this on it being Texas in their typical masturbatory attempts to make it look like the other team is evil. Overzealous prosecutors are everywhere, threatening people with long prison sentences while giving them an option to please to "only" a few years in prison to help bolster their stats. I'm not sure how the grand jury doing it is any worse. Government IS power over people, is it really surprising that the people attracted to government service enjoy using that power?
What`s sad is we have over zealous posters who ALWAYS try to deflect from the truth of the matter......

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Texas from what I am gathering in the few times visiting and from my sister is a bastion of authoritarian conservatism. My sister moved there 4 years ago. She was complaining to me about a few cop cases over the 4th july there where the cops basically killed people. And the people of Texas were completely fine with it because these cops are "heroes" and basically untouchable. In other words it sounds like most just assume the people had it coming if a cop shoots them.

She told he it is weird that she may actually vote democrat just for some balance. And that she would be considered a liberal down there where she is clearly a conservative in MN.

So reading a story like this doesn't surprise me at all.

Pretty much this, about the same in Oklahoma.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
A friend of mine was hitch hiking from Kansas to Dallas , Texas......

He was stopped in almost every town that he had to go through by the cops.

He showed them ID and explained what he was doing! He even allowed them to go through his back pack and sleeping bag.......they all let him go on to Texas.....

Once he arrived in Dallas,Texas he was again asked for ID and the cops asked him some questions and immediately arrested him for having a knife that was 1/4 inch too long according the cops. Even though my friend was clean and nice and polite and allowed them to go through his stuff.......

When he finally went before the judge , 3 and 1/2 months later.....the judge did not care about why he was arrested! The judge said time served and cut him loose.......
My friend tried to get the judge to listen to him...finally the baliff told my friend-- you got lucky, leave while you can...lolol

So any guns good, some knives bad in Texas?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
this is what happens when ideology meets reality. Kinda funny that TEXass is reaping what it has sown. What I find delicious is in 20 years TExass is gonna swing incredibly in the opposite direction when the population wakes up to ideology and the minority population has enough of Rick Perry and his ilk.....

Echo chambers go unchecked and everyone pats each others back after masturbating furiously to the Fountainhead...