Correcting a possible forum rumor: "Trouble with GTX 970 power-management"

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
In another thread, someone gave me a heads-up to hearing that there were "problems" with the GTX 970 power-management and SLI.

I believe that I myself was the very source of this story. If I wasn't, I'd like to "report" my own observations about it.

All of my troubles with 2x GTX 970 SLI power management disappeared through at least two cause-rectifying solutions, or maybe three: A change in a game video setting, a correction to my Media Center HDHR' configuration, and a total conversion of my system to DVI-D/HDMI digital display.

Now, I can game, watch TV, switch to another computer with similar software and functions, with a desktop monitor and an HT AVR/HDTV. And what I'm saying is that all the troubles with the cards, driver and power-mode had software or other hardware causes. All those problems have now evaporated completely.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Oh, yeah! It's been a happy day.

Of course, now we're looking toward the 4K era. There still seems to be a zillion models of "Full-HD" monitors at the Egg with an offer price below $250+. Some models were only introduced last year -- with 1920x1080 specs. Of course I saw one of those with a 1ms rate. There are 21:9 widescreen 2560x1080 units in addition to your 1920x1080. 4K has a price tag about $600 or so, and higher.

I have a diminishing desire to stay on the bleeding edge, when I'm only 6 years into the HD thing. With that clumsy analog VGA connection I just eliminated, I had monitors with different resolutions on the KVM, and it had worked for this or that configuration over a few PCs and replacements.

So, with the pure DVI/HDMI-digital connections I have now, I'm wondering if I would have a problem switching between a monitor at 1440 and another at 1080. If I didn't, then I could start saving my pennies for something in a shorter time horizon from the present.

The only hurry I see arises from getting caught up in the frenzy here on the forums!

It just goes to show that regular personal business apps like Quicken still have their place on the high-res desktop!! :biggrin:

Last edited: