Corporate rule is here! (OK blocks do not call list)

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
link

The Direct Marketing Association sued to block the list shortly after Congress approved it in January, saying it would violate free-speech laws and discriminate against an industry that provides millions of jobs.

Federal court in OK blocked the national do-not-call list, can't say I'm suprised.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: charrison
Get caller ID.

yup. "Out of Area" gets a quick pick-up/click from me:)

I just wish I was able to program my phone to not calls that aren't ID'd come in. I still have the option of picking it up...if I can sense the disturbence in "the force" :p

CkG

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
It protected you from very little anyway. All the ones that aggrevate me the most have exemption it seems. They all have some work around Im sure anyway. Kinda like the emails that I get that start with "this is the site we talked about the other day" or "Thank you for inquiring about our product" and you have never heard of them before.

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
Yep telemarketers have caller id blocker blocker. There is like three levels of ID/blocker technology out there. Depending on how much you want to spend on caller ID you can unblock the block to varying degrees. Sound like a scam, it is. I tried telemarketing for about a month, and couldn't live with myself. Pretty much felt like crap coming off of work. Yet the most sucessful ones were the ones whom were the rudist, pushiest, people you can imagine. It is very lucritave, but you have to sell your soul. To the tune of making $2k worth of bonuses every two weeks. Telemarketing seems to have run its course, since most people don't hardly answer thier phones anymore. It sounds like it is time for them to move on and try another method to snag customers. Those people in OK should go out and make noise about what has been done. Since it is not a basic right to be rude and obnoxious to a complete stranger. I consider it to be harassment, but thats just me.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: her209
That is not free speech. Its harrassment dammit.

Thats what I used to call it. Then I took charrison's advice. No CId = No answer = No Problems from telemarketers. I'm not suprised at all that this happened though. The compainies that do this have too much to lose if that list were fully implemented. It was only a matter of time before they either sued, lobbied, or circumvented their way around the no-call list. :|

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
the part that is most frustrating is that they claim they have their own do not call list. that is complete bs. if you tell them to not call you anymore, they call you three more times, then sell your name to someone else.

they should be thankful that this list exists--it will save them from having to call people who will just hang up on them.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
they will just outsource the callers to india dell-style at 1/3rd the cost so they can make 3x the hassling phone calls...

oh but the DNC list would probably prevent them from selling on behalf of companies that do business here so that's good.

and why does the DMA oppose such a list, when it is ppl who do not want to be bothered (and therefore would not buy) on the list, thereby cutting down on the number of uncompleted sales resulting in higher efficiency