Corporate America cutting ties with NRA

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I don't own any guns, I probably never will, so in a way i'm at disadvantage to protect myself. No matter what changes there will always be evil like this in the world and schools will be a target. Will gun laws make that better or worse? It might have short term benefits until these evil bastards figure out other ways to cause havoc such explosives, poisons etc... If there isn't a net gain in lives saved then what is the point?
Laws by themselves won't make a difference as they must be consistently enforced in order to be effective. Removing the loopholes for the acquisition of guns is a good starting point but removing them from people currently in possession of them who shouldn't have them will require a proactive stance.

The right will call it a gun grab and protest under the guise that their 2A rights are under attack, however, the BATF already undertakes this process when they discover that people have been granted purchase rights in error. Why not use bona fide mental health issues as a grounds for doing the same thing to removed guns from the hands of mentally unstable people before they hurt someone with them?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well let’s see what Friday Trump has to say.

Well the word has been out for a while now: Trump tends to do/agree with whatever the last person who spoke to him advises. Either it's laziness, a real mental inability to weigh options and consider issues, or he really does have a terrible memory (dementia, alzheimers?).

Either way, he's never had an actual opinion/argument/policy that you can pin on him. He can be on all sides of ever issue, back on forth, several times a day. The only consistency with him seems to be that he absolutely hates people that aren't white.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Either way, he's never had an actual opinion/argument/policy that you can pin on him. He can be on all sides of ever issue, back on forth, several times a day. The only consistency with him seems to be that he absolutely hates people that aren't white.
He has called himself the least racist person on the planet. It's completely amazing. He has morphed from a businessman into a politician, 100%. He has zero beliefs, zero credibility.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
And how exactly do you expect to enforce such a law. It is easy to throw out all these ideas to 'prevent the crazies from having access to guns' but entirely different to actually enforce such ideas given the situation. This is also why gun regulations won't solve anything. There's too many out there already, and 'but we gotta do something' crowd is blind to the fact that just doing something only shifts the focus to the wrong thing and wastes peoples time and money.
Put guns in safes? No, melt them down. Make it illegal to possess a gun and eventually there won't be any. Think -- If there's no circumstance where being outed as possessing a gun is not a felony, there will be no point to having one.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Put guns in safes? No, melt them down. Make it illegal to possess a gun and eventually there won't be any. Think -- If there's no circumstance where being outed as possessing a gun is not a felony, there will be no point to having one.

I can't tell if serious. In what world do you think that's going to happen? And even if it did, do you want a country where only the powerful, government and military,law enforcement and criminals have guns? Because I guarantee, those weapons won't be melted down. They will just trade hands to the above. Everyone keeps coming from this angle that somehow guns are just going to magically disappear, and we are way past that happening in the next 100 years. People need to look at history. Seriously.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I can't tell if serious. In what world do you think that's going to happen?
So, you think the English and Australians have tons of guns stashed away just in case the government/military decides to dominate the citizenry? Yes I'm talking about the USA. I know they have their heads up their ass, they are stuck in the past, but that doesn't mean we can't change. Look, there's a serious problem. My solution addresses this better than all the half assed ones being put forward, and half assed they are.

And, yes, I want to disarm the cops and military too. They should be trained with firearms, but only have access to them in highly regulated situations, same with hunters. That way you will be able to go out in public and feel safe that you won't get shot. Right now you can't even feel safe in your home.

"Sent from my LG3 while driving my 1986 Volvo"

You need to pull over and start thinking.

Reactions: rise and Younigue

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
So, you think the English and Australians have tons of guns stashed away just in case the government/military decides to dominate the citizenry? Yes I'm talking about the USA. I know they have their heads up their ass, they are stuck in the past, but that doesn't mean we can't change. Look, there's a serious problem. My solution addresses this better than all the half assed ones being put forward, and half assed they are.

And, yes, I want to disarm the cops and military too. They should be trained with firearms, but only have access to them in highly regulated situations, same with hunters. That way you will be able to go out in public and feel safe that you won't get shot. Right now you can't even feel safe in your home.

1. The best estimates say they might have gotten 20% of the guns in Australia. 20%. I don't know what it is in the UK. I'll be over there next week, I'll conduct a poll. :rolleyes:
2. Your "solution" is anything but. It's just another ill conceived, irrelevant, fascist, c0cksucking gun grab. I understand that you and your sisters on here are scared to death of this inanimate object because it's black, it makes a loud noise and it makes you go pee-pee in your panties. Man the fvck up.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

You are living in a pipe dream. It isn't even a feasible process. Another words, you can hate on anyone with a differing opinion all you want, you aren't solving anything because your solution isn't realistic in the least. Maybe YOU should start thinking. Our problem isn't a gun problem. Our problem is a personal accountability problem. I definitely think there are some people who shouldn't have guns, I am all for better background checks, longer wait times, even banning of bump stocks, but I do not think those are going to stop the problem at all. Personally? I'd have zero issue if there were no guns in the world, but we don't live in that world, and it will not happen in your lifetime or the next. The key is to figure out why people are going on killing sprees, because guns or no guns..they are going to go on them. I can tell you that just watching these threads here, I have a good idea why. People are too ready to hate on everyone else because 'they are right, you're wrong, stomp foot'.

Last edited:

deathBOB

Dec 2, 2007
1. The best estimates say they might have gotten 20% of the guns in Australia. 20%. I don't know what it is in the UK. I'll be over there next week, I'll conduct a poll. :rolleyes:
2. Your "solution" is anything but. It's just another ill conceived, irrelevant, fascist, c0cksucking gun grab. I understand that you and your sisters on here are scared to death of this inanimate object because it's black, it makes a loud noise and it makes you go pee-pee in your panties. Man the fvck up.

Says the proponent of America’s most popular male enhancement device.

deathBOB

Dec 2, 2007

Heh they already acknowledge the issue - they don’t carry guns around base unless they’re actively using them to train.

Reactions: Younigue

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Heh they already acknowledge the issue - they don’t carry guns around base unless they’re actively using them to train.

This is true, and even in combat situations, ammo is tracked for each person - yet it still doesn't stop bad things from happening. People are going to find a way when they want to.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So REI is not going to order any more product from Bell bicycles or CamelBak because they are owned by Vista Outdoor, who also makes AR-15s. REI probably represents a very large percentage of CamelBak sells, and likely a decent amount of high end Bell sells.

This is an interesting approach.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
You mean the bases that have armed guards at the entrances, the perimeter and a lot of other places.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
You mean the bases that have armed guards at the entrances, the perimeter and a lot of other places.
Oh, is that what schools should be? Military bases? Prisons? Should the armed guards be protecting the children or the highly dangerous equipment within the school grounds? May as well put a nuke in every school if they're going to be so heavily guarded. That'll teach those mass shooters!

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Oh, is that what schools should be? Military bases? Prisons? Should the armed guards be protecting the children or the highly dangerous equipment within the school grounds? May as well put a nuke in every school if they're going to be so heavily guarded. That'll teach those mass shooters!

I have very clearly stated on this forum and others that 1. I don' think we should force teachers to be armed. If we want armed security in schools we should pony up and pay for armed security. 2. If teachers want to be armed in school we should make sure they can handle a firearm, maintain proficiency with a firearm, require them to tell the school and parents that they are armed (this is not required in Utah) and make sure they have secure storage for that gun.

I know many schools are already underfunded, no need to remind me of that. I've never voted against a school tax levy and I bought a lot of school supplies for a lot teachers when my kids were in school.

Teachers are armed in hundreds of school districts already. I've only heard of a couple incidents. Still not my preferred option.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/03/02/rei-vista-outdoor/388101002/
Outdoor gear retailer REI is cutting off one of its key suppliers until the company "outlines a clear plan of action" on the weapons it makes.
The move thrusts Vista Outdoor into the spotlight amid growing pressure on businesses to combat gun violence. The supplier in 2015 and 2016 acquired several brands carried at REI, including Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn.

Interesting developments.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
While these corporate cowards (temporarily) run for the hills, it appears that NRA membership is up along with some other pro 2nd amendment groups. This is extremely good news.

http://time.com/5176471/national-rifle-association-membership-florida-shooting/

according to people familiar with the numbers

That's not necessarily a reliable source but it would fall in line with past results-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...urns-offer-some-clues/?utm_term=.2cdf229bb193

Mass shootings are apparently good for the NRA. That tells us something about the mentality at work.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dude, you are a shithead of the first order.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Our problem is a personal accountability problem.
That's the NRA position, I'm not buying it. Guns think for people. Check out this song:

If you don't get it the first time, listen to it again. Like the survivor girl (Gonalez) said on video, that Cruz guy in FL wouldn't have killed 17 people with a knife. He had an AR15 assault rifle. That's a terrorist's weapon of choice for easy mass murder.

What you need is imagination, insufficient imagination is humanity's greatest problem. How to develop your imagination, how to make it robust is what you should concentrate on. Absent that, you have the "accountability problem."

Gun - John Cale

Me and my partner we work on the run
The quick try to get quicker
And the creepers get hung
Now it's you that got wasted tonight on the job
One lost his liquor
And the other lost his hand
Ten sticky thumb prints on the door and the sink
But nothin' saw nothin' - just smell the stink
Five hundred mugshots and a hundred to one
Four forgotten and the rest just won't come
When you've begun to think like a gun
The rest of the year has already gone
The days of the year have suddenly gone
blood on the windows and blood on the walls
Blood on the ceiling and down in the halls
And the papers keep downing on everything I burned
And the people getting restless but they'll never learn
I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste of his time
Works in a hurry but always worthwhile
Knows they won't be back for a long long time
Top of the staircase was ready to fall
We were still waiting downstairs in the hall
Watch out for big mama, she'll set you on fire
Or go for your neck with the chicken wire
Once you've begun to think like a gun
The days of the year have already gone
Mother of plenty, mother of none
You've got me cornered and still on the run
I don't care nothing about you anyway
Stuck in this hole I'm on my way
Yeah when you've begun to live like a gun
The days of the year have already gone

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Wolverines!