Coretemp or Realtemp?

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Which do you guys trust more. I am getting a 4-5 degree difference between them. Real temp is the lower of the two. It tells me my Q9300 is around 36 idle, and Coretemp is telling me I'm around 41 idle. Both are the newest versions.

haffey

Oct 16, 2008
I use Realtemp. My Q9300 is at 3.2 GHz, a tab higher than stock voltage (can't remember), Zalman CNPS 9500 LED. Two cores are 32, the other two are 38. Ambient temp is about 20-21C.

scruffypup

Feb 3, 2006
Originally posted by: swanysto
Which do you guys trust more. I am getting a 4-5 degree difference between them. Real temp is the lower of the two. It tells me my Q9300 is around 36 idle, and Coretemp is telling me I'm around 41 idle. Both are the newest versions.

BOTH!!!

They are equally accurate when calibrated to your chip. You can calibrate to the correct tjMax,... for the Q9300. I don't remember offhand what it is,... 95,100,105.

At one time I found actual information about the correct number for each chip,... (unfortunately that is one of those things that is a rare find that I didn't save for whatever reason), that is how I set my e7200,.... but a quick look through some stuff seems to point to 95 being the tjMax for the Q9300 at 95,... I just cannot 100% confirm (I give it a 85% likelihood!!!)

If one is using 95 and one 100 for instance,... that gives you the 5 degree descrepancy,... but you won't have that once both are calibrated right,... then you can use both, or whichever one you prefer....

Realtemp can be set in "settings" - "set tjmax"
coretemp is in options - settings, tj max offset

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: scruffypup
Originally posted by: swanysto

BOTH!!!

They are equally accurate when calibrated to your chip. You can calibrate to the correct tjMax,... for the Q9300. I don't remember offhand what it is,... 95,100,105.

At one time I found actual information about the correct number for each chip,... (unfortunately that is one of those things that is a rare find that I didn't save for whatever reason), that is how I set my e7200,.... but a quick look through some stuff seems to point to 95 being the tjMax for the Q9300 at 95,... I just cannot 100% confirm (I give it a 85% likelihood!!!)

If one is using 95 and one 100 for instance,... that gives you the 5 degree descrepancy,... but you won't have that once both are calibrated right,... then you can use both, or whichever one you prefer....

Realtemp can be set in "settings" - "set tjmax"
coretemp is in options - settings, tj max offset

I will have to try that when I get home. I didn't think it would matter what the tjunc is, I just thought it would give me a read out based on the temp of the chip. Thanks for the info.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
What really matters is "Distance to Thermal Junction Maximum". This should be the same for both programs, regardless.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I tend to believe the higher/more pessimistic value, but if I can calibrate the software I use to suit, then maybe i'll get accurate readings...