Core i7 a waste of money for gamers, says Nvidia

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Storm
If the ONLY thing you do on your PC is play games, I can understand the argument being made against i7. However I and many others do much more than just gaming (or else I'd look into consoles), and I welcome the improved performance that i7 provides.

Certainly if you have money to burn it would be hard not to buy an i7 system. Although I think you need to drop close to $600 just for a Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: solofly
Yes yes, greedy dishonest arrogant nvidia would rather sell you their garbage chipsets i680-790 along with three high end nvidia video cards at a highest price possible. That's the way to do it and you better like it... (ass rape their fanboys)
Hahaha I see you have a new $1000+ CPU that performs identically to an overclocked $230 CPU, and you're talking about greedy dishonest ass rapings? No surprise I guess. LMAO.

Anyways, the author is correct in the mid-range, but I think Nvidia's comments overall fail to acknowledge their high-end solutions absolutely need the fastest CPUs in order to justify their additional cost and scale beyond single GPUs. Jensen stated similar comments last year, but we've seen time and again their multi-GPU solutions underperforming until paired with the absolute fastest, overclocked CPUs. These results are also observable with single-GPUs as they become ever-increasingly more powerful. I fully expect the next generation of GPUs to illustrate this even more unless DX11's driver threading enhancements help to improve the CPU bottlenecking.

In the long run I'm not sure what Nvidia is trying to prove here. LGA775 is a dead socket and the Nvidia chipsets that support it will be as well. Pushing a dead socket in the short-term does nothing for them. P55/Lynnfield are sampling and set to launch in a few months, which will make LGA775 an even less viable solution. Nvidia needs to either make progress in their Intel lawsuit and gain access to a QPI license, or they need to make sure SLI makes it onto Intel boards, similar to what they've done with X58.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SickBeast
NV is waging quite a PR battle against intel lately. :Q
Perhaps, but at least its out in the public and most likely retaliatory for Intel's very covert PowerPoint presentations that were met with incredulity by both the press and their target audience.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
magreen I know what OCguy his saying that overclocking could damage your cpu and it's retarded to do so. But I'll rather kill a $250 dollar CPU then spend a $1000 bucks on an overpriced processor. That's just me! :D

I think his point was...is that you don't have to own an i7 system to have a great gaming experience. When you add up the cost of the CPU, MB, RAM, it is quite a bit higher than a E8x00 system for a performance gain, that just doesn't measure up. Again, I am not saying that real enthusiasts are stupid for doing this. I am just saying that some people don't have the extra couple hunred bucks to blow. I felt pretty comfortable spending the money I did, and it was quite a bit cheaper than an i7 system. Is it bleeding edge fast? Obviously not, but in gaming I am not that far behind.

I agree but instead of pushing for SLI Mr. Petersen could have used a GTX 285 to prove his point.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ElBurro
Intel fanboys calm down! It's not exactly a secret that getting a faster GPU will benefit game frame rates more than a faster CPU. However upgrading the CPU will benefit you in other areas. If your main focus is on gaming than a core 2 duo will do just fine for the foreseeable future. At some point you will have to upgrade the whole system but not right now.

This article was about gaming good sir.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: chizow
Hahaha I see you have a new $1000+ CPU that performs identically to an overclocked $230 CPU, and you're talking about greedy dishonest ass rapings? No surprise I guess. LMAO.

Sonny, I can afford it and I don't overclock outside of unlocked multipliers? Jealous or something... lol (stick to topic next time and not to what i am or what i have)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: SunnyD
*chuckle*

Nvidia says "Core i7 Sucks for Gamers" (Only because we can't make chipsets for it). Typical Nvidia trolling.

It is pretty blatant and transparent, isn't it? What boggles my mind is how many folks are willing to pick up their pitchforks and torches, voluntarily and without compensation, and fight some perceived noble battle on behalf of Nvidia's marketing dept. Its one of the most effective viral marketing campaigns around, the likes of which Steve Jobs would appreciate.

This topic was also posted in the Video forum. It took a while, but the Nvidiot crew finally joined in. I'm watching the thread with anticipation to see how quickly it degenerates from there.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Sonny, I can afford it and I don't overclock outside of unlocked multipliers? Jealous or something... lol (stick to topic next time and not to what i am or what i have)
LOL nope, there's a very real difference between spending for actual performance vs. throwing money away. ;)

Just pointing out the ridiculous irony of your statements, given there's actually a very real tangible difference in what you'd get from Nvidia for $1000 vs. $230 compared to Intel's $1000 vs. $230 offering. You got a um....bigger black box with Space Invader characters and an unlocked multiplier for that $770, congrats! :)

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: chizow
LOL nope, there's a very real difference between spending for actual performance vs. throwing money away. ;)

Just pointing out the ridiculous irony of your statements, given there's actually a very real tangible difference in what you'd get from Nvidia for $1000 vs. $230 compared to Intel's $1000 vs. $230 offering. You got a um....bigger black box with Space Invader characters and an unlocked multiplier for that $770, congrats! :)

I like to throw money away, got a problem with that? lol

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I've merged a more recent duplicate thread from Video discussing this same article into this thread.

AmberClad
Video Moderator

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Quickly browsing through the posts that were merged - everyone seems to be neglecting that now that DDR3 prices have come down, an i7 920 really is just about the same price as a Q9650. Maybe a "buck or two" more for the motherboard, but it is just about the same now. And the performance - pretty damn close until you start really hammering away on stuff at high resolution.

So really it's a take your pick question now, price being thrown out of the equation. This article is just Nvidia marketing & PR to try to convince people to buy their chipsets in the only Intel market they are currently allowed to sell in. It's all about money and nothing to do with performance.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem

This is to all you people who say Core i7 is expensive:

Zipzoomfly

Prices after rebate:

Core i7- $265
MSI X58 PRO- $155.89
OCZ OCZ3G1333LV6GK 6GB PC3-10666 - $47 (yes thats right, $47 bucks)

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004

This is to all you people who say Core i7 is expensive:

Zipzoomfly

Prices after rebate:

Core i7- $265
MSI X58 PRO- $155.89
OCZ OCZ3G1333LV6GK 6GB PC3-10666 - $47 (yes thats right, $47 bucks)
Thats actually cheaper than a typical C2D rig when C2D first came out in 2006. I recall the e6600 around $300, DDR2 was more expensive (2gb over $150+) and mobos were around $150 back then. But everyone was snapping them up like it was nothing.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
If you want the best out of i7 for gaming you can turn OFF HT and o/c even more WITHOUT temps/vcore needing to be jacked through the roof. This performance will translate into better game performance as well.

bleucharm28

Sep 27, 2008
The reason i upgrade was because (i)felt it was time. My first built system was an AMD Athlon 64 4000+, Asus A8n-Sli motherboard, 2G's corsair XMS ram, 2 6600GT OC'd video card. i played CS, FarCry, WoW. In about a year or so, i upgraded my video cards to 8600GT, and wanted to try more games like Fear, Crysis, Bioshock. The newer games did take a lot more out of my CPU & GPU. When i increased picture quality in WoW-WotLK, the game actually came to an halt. I had to restart WoW, lowered my video setting and the game was fine. The other games like Fear, and Bioshock was ok, it was playable for me. I can't remember the frame rates i get when playing Crysis, but it was still playable. it's definitely not as sexy as other latest and greatest PC's. If i were to check emails, browse internet, umm what else. Then my old Pentium 4/Dell will do just fine.

I now have new Core i7 system and i'm loving it. But before upgrading to Core i7, my original plan was to get Q6600, get a decent motherboard like 790i, and get the lastest and greatest, bang for the buck video card. To compare and i7 system, to an 775 system cost wise(CPU & Motherboard). it wasn't too far off. i knew the i7 was on it's way, so... i wait for 3 months and bought Core i7 system. Reason: i'm hoping or i like to think that i will get the most out of it because i have purchase new technology. I spent only $250.00 for (GTX260 55nm, 216) because i know this card will handle most games for now and when new video cards come out, i can upgrade again, and again, and again.
Silverstone TJ-07 |Core i7 2.66 (Stock)/CM V8 going to try Thermalright Ultra 120 Black, P&P Noctua Fan|Asus Rampage Ex II X58|CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600|EVGA 896-P3-1258-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SSC Edition|WD Raptor 300|PC & Cooling 750

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
I am genuinley confused about who they are actually trying to reach out with this article. Aren't prospective buyers of high-end GPUs considered relatively well-informed to know better than sacrificing and siphoning away limited budget to CPUs leaving their computer GPU performance starved? There is nothing wrong about what the guy says in the article, even if he is just trying to exploit this as a viral marketing piece. Would people actually be dumb enough to buy i7 920 over gtx285 just because intel says CPU can increase your gaming performance by 80? 3dMark? pffft, who cares! So in a word, I think this article is kinda pointless despite being agreeable.

His closing statement with the ferrari analogy sounds very fair and echoes pretty much what everyone is saying here; there is this novel concept called priority. Not everyone is Rick James and can afford the most expensive CPU on the block AND the triple/quad-SLI rig at the same time. Even the worst of the worst diehard intel fanboys would admit getting a good GPU is the obvious priority here.

magreen I know what OCguy his saying that overclocking could damage your cpu and it's retarded to do so. But I'll rather kill a $250 dollar CPU then spend a $1000 bucks on an overpriced processor. That's just me!
As much as I feel sympathetic to your points, I think you took the guy completely the wrong way, unless you were being sarcastic about his post. To me it seems, he was stating that if you know enough to get into the BIOS to overclock and still waste money on an expensive CPU with a terrible value, then you are truly retarded.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: konakona
I am genuinley confused about who they are actually trying to reach out with this article.

Their actual customers...the shareholders and analysts.

Everything is about increasing the resell value of their core product - NVDA.

ElBurro

Feb 27, 2009
Originally posted by: swanysto
Originally posted by: ElBurro
Intel fanboys calm down! It's not exactly a secret that getting a faster GPU will benefit game frame rates more than a faster CPU. However upgrading the CPU will benefit you in other areas. If your main focus is on gaming than a core 2 duo will do just fine for the foreseeable future. At some point you will have to upgrade the whole system but not right now.

This article was about gaming good sir.

Isn't that what I said. My point was that for gaming NVidia is right. This should not be a surprise to anybody nor should it upset Intel fanboys. It's just what I like to call a fact.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Ironic how SLI scales best with the i7. Would be less justification going SLI with a non i7 chip. Nvidia should be hailing the i7 on that basis, but seems they prefer to stick it to Intel pretty bad.