core i5 haswell to core i7 haswell

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
What kind of GPU & PSU do you have? I see on some forums people with SLI rigs still having some performance hits in certain situations maxed out in tomb raider. Could be coding issues with the port some are saying. You could sell your CPU & make up some costs for an upgrade. You might not get the performance you are wanting though out of it.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
awesome thanks man.. maybe a motherboard upgrade then so i can run faster ram.. is that worth it.. mine maxes out at ddr3 1600.. looking for best bang for my buck over what i currently have

That's less worth it than upgrading to an i7

Sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket and the thought of saving your money disgusts you. If it will make you happy to get rid of it for marginal/no performance gain, then go for it. There are times when what you have really is just fine for what you're using it for.

And if you are going to upgrade your CPU, don't go from i5 to i5, that's just dumb. Might as well get an i7 if you're hell bent on an upgrade.

Ramses

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2000
+1. Are you using 3x 4gb sticks? If so you're ram configuration is slowing you down as you are not running in dual channel.

I see that sort of thing a lot anymore and nobody seems to make a big deal of it, especially in laptops and pre-built stuff. When dual channel first came out it was best practice to have equal, preferably matching, stick/amount on each channel. I still stick to that. No pun intended.

elkido122

Jan 10, 2015
Yea I'm using all 4 slots right now slot 1 has a 2gb stick slot 2 has a 4gb stick slot 3 has a 2gb stick and slot 4 a 4gb stick so it comes out to 12gb.. This a potential problem at all??

Ramses

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2000
I think as long as the slot pairs, be they 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 or whatever, have the same size stick it'd be ok. Maybe not ideal but it's not likely a huge thing. If you're looking to upgrade something I'd put matching 4's in each slot myself.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I think as long as the slot pairs, be they 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 or whatever, have the same size stick it'd be ok. Maybe not ideal but it's not likely a huge thing. If you're looking to upgrade something I'd put matching 4's in each slot myself.

Nope, you want equal amounts in both channels, so one 2GB stick and one 4GB stick per channel, like he has it now.