Question Core i3-2120 + H61 refurbished PC, HDMI audio out possible?

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hello everybody.

So I got a refurbished PC with a core i3-2120 and H61 chipset.

I would like to have audio from its HDMI port, like AMD and Nvidia cards. Is something like that possible or is there no audio hardware available in Sandys?

I have installed Windows 10 1909. Everything seems to be working fine, but I don't see an HDMI digital out audio device. Only the motherboard's audio is available.

Lol I feel like a buffoon, because I have a sandy 2500k since they came out, meaning I should know everything regarding sandys, but since it was on a P67 chipset, I never got to use its gpu part.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

ps I am posting this in the gpu section, because it has to do with gpu audio, but if it's the wrong section, please do move it.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I could never get audio to carry out the display port of a old Dell, i pretty much wanted a htpc and put the stuff in a standard atx case and slapped in a nvidia card for video/sound card. That and well HD2000 is trash for gaming anyways. I built this just yesterday btw, so was in the same boat as you and just opted for a nvidia card. Had that and a 750w unit sitting around anyways so why not.

Reactions: psolord

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I have installed Windows 10 1909. Everything seems to be working fine, but I don't see an HDMI digital out audio device. Only the motherboard's audio is available.

The Sandy Bridge HD Graphics driver included in 10 is pretty basic. Also nukes all OpenGL support. Force installing the latest 7 driver (4229 is the latest, I think) works fine though. You have to get the ZIP version, and install via Device Manager. Otherwise the Intel install program wont let you do that.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
The Sandy Bridge HD Graphics driver included in 10 is pretty basic. Also nukes all OpenGL support. Force installing the latest 7 driver (4229 is the latest, I think) works fine though. You have to get the ZIP version, and install via Device Manager. Otherwise the Intel install program wont let you do that.

The default Windows 10 driver is version 9.17.10.4459. I did what you said with the have disk method and the version number went to 9.17.10.4229 indeed.

There is indeed a DisplayAudio folder inside the driver package, so I guess the hardware does support audio. How do I install this however? I have no hardware with exclamation marks, that would indicate a device in existence without a driver. :S

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I could never get audio to carry out the display port of a old Dell, i pretty much wanted a htpc and put the stuff in a standard atx case and slapped in a nvidia card for video/sound card. That and well HD2000 is trash for gaming anyways. I built this just yesterday btw, so was in the same boat as you and just opted for a nvidia card. Had that and a 750w unit sitting around anyways so why not.

Thanks for your reply.

To be frank, it's mostly out of curiosity that I started this thread. I mean I can use the HD audio of the motherboard and connect it to my TV in or get a pair of speakers.

So far, the need for a video card is not apparent. I mean this old system can run the jellyfish samples of this site just fine.

I tested up to 60mbit, since there is no way I will playback anything above that. Also Youtube 1080p/60fps runs fine, so no need for a graphics card atm. Poor old Sandy still delivers. xD

Last edited:
Reactions: mopardude87

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
There is indeed a DisplayAudio folder inside the driver package, so I guess the hardware does support audio. How do I install this however? I have no hardware with exclamation marks, that would indicate a device in existence without a driver. :S

It should install automatically. At least it did the last time I tried on my SB system (Celeron G465/Asrock B75M-ITX). How odd. Perhaps the board doesn't include the hardware for audio over HDMI?

In that case, I really don't know.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Displayport, audio?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Displayport, audio?

Yeah i was under the impression you could carry it. It has more of a chance then the vga port LOL. I wouldn't know to much, my main rig has a AE-5 soundblaster with dedicated headphones. I can't bother with inferior options. I only tolerate it and well HD2000 is dumpster trash anyways no matter how ya put it. The 660 was a must anyways as its playing some older stuff so a win win there. :)

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
You could always try running Ubuntu or another distro from USB and see if you get it working there.

Good idea!

I made a live Ubuntu with Lili, but the same audio device appeared. No hint of an HDMI out one. So I guess there isn't one.

Oh well. Thanks.