Core and memory clocks going up and down all the time, is it healthy for the card?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I installed Firefox 4 yesterday and since it has GPU acceleration I've noticed my videocard's clocks going up and down all the time, and obviously temps are up too. Since I have FF open pretty much 24/7, I was wondering if this is going to affect the longevity of my card. I want it to last me at least 2 years, do you think it would be better to just disable GPU acceleration in FF?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
No, I think you will be fine, my cpu had speedstep enable and is overclocked, it does the same thing and has been doing it a long time.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
You're right, I forgot about speedstep in CPUs, thanks.
*IF* your asking about how much it takes from the lifespan of a cpu/gpu?
Most of those things are designed to last like 15-20 years (or something of use).

Its just like doing overvolt/overclocking, it might cost you abit of *lifespan* on the cpu/gpu, but most people dont plan on useing the same cpu/gpu for more than 10years.

The reason the core/memory go up and down is to save power... in the form of $ saved on electric bill.

Would you rather have a 20year lasting cpu, or save some $ on the electric bill for the next 10years that it might last instead?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Would you rather have a 20year lasting cpu, or save some $ on the electric bill for the next 10years that it might last instead?

You mean save power on the 2 to 5 years you use it while knowing it would have lasted 10 instead of 20. :)

Ghiedo27

Mar 9, 2011
How much of a temperature spike are you seeing? I wouldn't expect a browser to demand a high load for long enough to cause a large rise in temperature.

It isn't just the fan speeding up to match load %, is it?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
@OP: you can always disable GPU acceleration in browser.
I disabled flash GPU acceleration because the fan ramps up and the power savings are not worth the noise.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Umm, you need better fans then on GPU. lol

Even without speedstep or any power savings GPU will last a LONG time. I have a overlocked video card that runs underload 24/7/365 for the last 2 years without a hickup.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Even without speedstep or any power savings GPU will last a LONG time. I have a overlocked video card that runs underload 24/7/365 for the last 2 years without a hickup.

Actually, with how competitive this market is and how hard they are pushed I am not so sure. I believe that the days when it would last decades are long gone. nVidia and AMD cut it very closer to begin with, and then the board partner OCes it as a factory overclock.
How long did they last in the xbox360? or all those laptops?
Yea, you can blame bad design, but when you leave no margin of error the slightest issue comes back and bites you. And even in a regular GPU with no such issues I find that it is likely to fail in a few years. Thing is, by that point its already obsolete and near worthless (in terms of resale value). Plus a lot of companies give you lifetime warranty

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Actually, with how competitive this market is and how hard they are pushed I am not so sure. I believe that the days when it would last decades are long gone. nVidia and AMD cut it very closer to begin with, and then the board partner OCes it as a factory overclock.
How long did they last in the xbox360? or all those laptops?
Yea, you can blame bad design, but when you leave no margin of error the slightest issue comes back and bites you. And even in a regular GPU with no such issues I find that it is likely to fail in a few years. Thing is, by that point its already obsolete and near worthless (in terms of resale value). Plus a lot of companies give you lifetime warranty

Exactly, especially when you look at all the 8800 cards that need baking.