Core 2 Duo X6800 (HELP PLEASE)

goose36

Nov 27, 2006
I have a quick question. I've been an AMD guy for quite some time. I recently upgraded to the c2d x6800. I also got some 2gb corsair 800 c4 ram. I successfully oc'd to 3.52ghz on air and kept the memory @ 800 with 4-4-4-4-12 2T settings. I have a question though. I tried to prime95 test my oc but i noticed that with one prime95 running it's great, but when I try to run 2 prime95's my task manager shows that my ram is all used up and my system is very slow. I can't even open anything or even move the prime95 windows themselves. On my AMD system i was able to run both instances and then some. I was wondering if this was normal for the c2d systems due to their architecture, or am i missing something. I know there is a bandwidth loss due to the mem controller on the board in intel, but i hope that it's not that much loss. Please help if you have any input.

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: goose36
I have a quick question. I've been an AMD guy for quite some time. I recently upgraded to the c2d x6800. I also got some 2gb corsair 800 c4 ram. I successfully oc'd to 3.52ghz on air and kept the memory @ 800 with 4-4-4-4-12 2T settings. I have a question though. I tried to prime95 test my oc but i noticed that with one prime95 running it's great, but when I try to run 2 prime95's my task manager shows that my ram is all used up and my system is very slow. I can't even open anything or even move the prime95 windows themselves. On my AMD system i was able to run both instances and then some. I was wondering if this was normal for the c2d systems due to their architecture, or am i missing something. I know there is a bandwidth loss due to the mem controller on the board in intel, but i hope that it's not that much loss. Please help if you have any input.

Welcome to AT forums !

I would think that you either have a bad stick of memory, or that it is slotted wrong in the MOBO......

try getting SiSoft Sandra and checking it thru that and see if the memory actually shows... etc.

You can get Sandra Here : http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=177

that will show if you have a bad stick in both Memory Bandwidth tests, and physical memory in the System Info section.

Then check your MOBO manual and check that you have the RAM slotted Correctly.

goose36

Nov 27, 2006
Thanks for the response. I ran everest 3.60 and all my memory tests kicked a$$. Memtest 10 passes with no errors. Does Sandra test something that those don't?

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
This is normal. The problem is that all the ram is taken. Set priorty to very low and try again. You will than be able to move the windows. The whole point of the program is to stress everything allowing for you to see any instability.

goose36

Nov 27, 2006
Even when running let's say anti-virus anti-spyware and unpacking files? My AMD x2 4800 did all those and then some.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
IF you are running Prime95 you shouldn't be able to do anything in the background. Otherwise it is possible that your hard drive is running poorly when it is used, because you have overclocked the pci-e channel too much.

goose36

Nov 27, 2006
You said about the pci-e channel? All I did to get my oc is to raise the FSB & vcore. I had to manually input the mem timings and voltage. Everything else is set to auto. Let me know if i missed something.

I also read about a hotfix from microsoft (896256) that addresses multi-core issues. Anyone know if it actually works with c2d. I know AMD came out with one that addresses similar issues but with their cpu's.

Thanks

goose36

Nov 27, 2006
Hey guys,

Thanks for all who responded. When I got home yesterday, I did some more research and I downloaded that Microsoft Hotfix (896256). I installed it and rebooted. All my problems went away. I know that on some sites, there were also instructions on modifying the registry to add certain values. I did none of that. I just installed the hotfix and problem is gone. I ran:
AVG Anti-Spyware; AVG Anti-Virus; Counterspy; Pestpatrol; Spybot; & Ad-aware @ the same time while playing music in windows media player and also browsing google videos and watching them. ( the videos took a little longer to load, but with that kind of load it didn't surprise me)

Anyway, thanks for your input and if you have anyone that has the same issue, it 100% worked for me. I can again be one happy camper!