Core 2 Duo will work on D865GLC motherboard

cplyakap

Aug 9, 2017
I have Intel D865GLC motherboard. It has mPGA478 socket and Pentium 4 3 GHZ HT processor. My processor isn't enough for even daily use. Thus, I want to change it. Firstly, I looked for Intel's official support webpage.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006655.html

In there, maximum support of my motherboard is Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz and 2 MB L3 Cache. Finding this processor is fairly difficult. There are only 1-2 Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz on the online shopping and the cheapest is 299 USD. This is quite expensive, so there is only a choice. Core 2 Duo. I looked a lot of webpages, but I haven't managed to find any precise info yet. Someone says take risk and try it, other one says definitely not work, other one says mechanically fit but electrically not fit. I don't know what should I do against these answers. Finally, I looked Game-Debate. Game-Debate says several of Core 2 Duo's will fit D865GLC. (T2050 and T5250.)

http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=1307&cpuList=Intel D865GLC

Although this, I'm still not sure about Core 2 Duo compability of D865GLC. Thus, I also looked chipset infos. My chipset is 865G. I looked for CPU compability of my chipset. In wikipedia, my chipset seems support the Core 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...m_4-M.2FPentium_M.2FCeleron_M_mobile_chipsets

http://i68.tinypic.com/2m6rgah.jpg

Is chipset important for processor compability of motherboard? And finally, Game-Debate says Core 2 Duo T2050 and T5250 will fit D865GLC I said it above. We assume it is correct. However, T2050 and T5250 aren't worth to pay them. Their clock speeds and caches are low. T6600 and T9500 are using the same socket with T2050 and T5250. Thus, can I use T6600 or T9500? T6600 and T9500 use 35 W power. My Pentium 4 uses 85 W power. Are motherboard and socket defining power for processor? In addition to this, will my motherboard be damaged if Core 2 duo doesn't work on my mother board? Or will life of my mobo be reduced? Thanks answers for anyway.

Note: Please don't answer like 'Buy new motherboard or new system.' I'm fine for my motherboard. I want to upgrade it to the its maximum degree.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
Well, you may not want to hear 'buy a new motherboard' but that doesn't mean thats not the most cost-effective solution, because it is. But rather than leave it at that, I will indulge you and explain why you are already at your max in that board.

I am not sure why you are mixing moble chipsets and desktop socket information. If there is a crossover compatibility between desktop and mobile of that era, I'm not aware of it. So, I will start with saying that all of the T-series CPUs you are listing are mobile chips and don't go in desktop boards.

Second, you may be confusing yourself with chipsets vs socket types. Its possible that there were 865 chipsets that supported socket 775 systems (this is going way too far back in the memory archive to say for sure), however, in your case your board is a socket 478. There is NOTHING better than the pentium 4 single core that will fit in that board. You cannot put a core2duo in. Core 2 duos are all socket 775s.

In the early socket 775 days, there was some crossover between pentium4/pentiumD and the early core2s that were both socket 775. Your board is not one of them. It will not fit mechanically, it won't work electrically.

Now, all of that said, the low-end CPUs of any socket generation depreciate rapidly. You can pick up a socket 775 board with an early core2duo or an 1155 board with a celeron single core chip for less than $40 shipped, which is less than you'd pay for a high end P4 478 chip. To stick with a socket 478 motherboard today is just stubbornness.

cplyakap

Aug 9, 2017
I am not sure why you are mixing moble chipsets and desktop socket information. If there is a crossover compatibility between desktop and mobile of that era, I'm not aware of it. So, I will start with saying that all of the T-series CPUs you are listing are mobile chips and don't go in desktop boards.

Second, you may be confusing yourself with chipsets vs socket types. Its possible that there were 865 chipsets that supported socket 775 systems (this is going way too far back in the memory archive to say for sure), however, in your case your board is a socket 478. There is NOTHING better than the pentium 4 single core that will fit in that board. You cannot put a core2duo in. Core 2 duos are all socket 775s.

Game-debate and cpuboss say Core Duo T2050 and Core 2 Duo T5250 are compatible with Socket 478. Furthermore, Game-Debate claims they (T2050 and T5250) will fit socket of my mobo and it should work. Are game-debate and cpuboss reliable or not at this moment?

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
I think CPUboss and game-debate are confusing the socket 478 terms. Your system is an mPGA478, otherwise known as the desktop socket 478 board. Mobile chips that came later used socket 479 for the mobile Pentium Ms, and then mobile core2duos used socket M. They are not compatible.

From wikipedia:

Socket 479 has 479 pin holes. Pentium M processors in PGA package have 479 pins that plug into this zero insertion force socket. Only 478 pins are electrically connected (B2 is reserved and "depopulated on the Micro-FCPGA package").[5]

Although electrically and mechanically similar, Socket 478 has one pin less, making it impossible to use a Pentium M processor in a 478 board. For this reason manufacturers like Asus have made drop-in boards (e.g. CT-479) which allow use of Socket 479 processors.[6]

Chipsets which employ this socket for the Pentium M are the Intel 855GM/GME/PM and Intel 915GM/GMS/PM. While the Intel 855GME chipset supports all Pentium M CPU's, the Intel 855GM chipset does not officially support 90 nm 2MB L2 cache (Dothancore) models (even though it works, it only works at 400FSB, some 3rd party/user was able to overclock the FSB on 855GM/GME/PM to support 533FSB Dothan Core).[7] The other difference is the 855GM chipset graphics core runs at 200 MHz while the 855GME runs at 250 MHz. In 2006, Intel released the successor to Socket 479 with a revised pinout for its Core processor, called Socket M. This socket has the placement of one pin changed from the Pentium M version of Socket 479; Socket M processors will physically fit into a Socket 479, but are electrically incompatible with most versions of the socket. Socket M supports a 667 MT/s FSB with the Intel 945PM/945GM chipsets.

Last edited:
Reactions: cplyakap

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Depending on the budget, a used PC with an Intel i5-3470 CPU should be a much better option than trying to upgrade a 15 year old system. Even trying to re-use the old PC case would result with: missing front USB 3.0 ports. Check eBay, craigslist.org, or local University/Hospital surplus sales to the general public.
Your existing machine likely has under 1 Gb of memory, which would be another reason to want to upgrade the entire system: Windows 10's minimum hardware requirements.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My processor isn't enough for even daily use. Thus, I want to change it.
You need to change more than just the CPU, OP. Listen to what we're saying. You're being hard-headed. (Or your budget won't allow a USD $150 used / refurb quad-core PC.)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have Intel D865GLC motherboard. It has mPGA478 socket and Pentium 4 3 GHZ HT processor. My processor isn't enough for even daily use. Thus, I want to change it. Firstly, I looked for Intel's official support webpage.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006655.html

In there, maximum support of my motherboard is Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz and 2 MB L3 Cache. Finding this processor is fairly difficult. There are only 1-2 Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz on the online shopping and the cheapest is 299 USD. This is quite expensive, so there is only a choice. Core 2 Duo. I looked a lot of webpages, but I haven't managed to find any precise info yet. Someone says take risk and try it, other one says definitely not work, other one says mechanically fit but electrically not fit. I don't know what should I do against these answers. Finally, I looked Game-Debate. Game-Debate says several of Core 2 Duo's will fit D865GLC. (T2050 and T5250.)

http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=1307&cpuList=Intel D865GLC

Although this, I'm still not sure about Core 2 Duo compability of D865GLC. Thus, I also looked chipset infos. My chipset is 865G. I looked for CPU compability of my chipset. In wikipedia, my chipset seems support the Core 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...m_4-M.2FPentium_M.2FCeleron_M_mobile_chipsets

Is chipset important for processor compability of motherboard? And finally, Game-Debate says Core 2 Duo T2050 and T5250 will fit D865GLC I said it above. We assume it is correct. However, T2050 and T5250 aren't worth to pay them. Their clock speeds and caches are low. T6600 and T9500 are using the same socket with T2050 and T5250. Thus, can I use T6600 or T9500? T6600 and T9500 use 35 W power. My Pentium 4 uses 85 W power. Are motherboard and socket defining power for processor? In addition to this, will my motherboard be damaged if Core 2 duo doesn't work on my mother board? Or will life of my mobo be reduced? Thanks answers for anyway.

Note: Please don't answer like 'Buy new motherboard or new system.' I'm fine for my motherboard. I want to upgrade it to the its maximum degree.
your board is a socket 478 not socket 775.

T series cpu's are laptop not desktop.

You need a newer socket board/cpu/ram combo if you want better performance.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

cplyakap

Aug 9, 2017
You need to change more than just the CPU, OP. Listen to what we're saying. You're being hard-headed. (Or your budget won't allow a USD $150 used / refurb quad-core PC.)

Problem isn't about me. I already have a i7-7700k CPU computer. I wanted to upgrade my nostalgic motherboard, however it seems impossible about processors. On the other hand, its Pentium 4 is one of the best P4's. Anyway, thanks for your answers. :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now I'm starting to believe that other member that claimed Purch was hiring troll posts to inject life into the forum.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Game-debate is a website that obtains information secondhand--a secondary source-- and likely automates the what gets shown as compatible. Grotesque mistakes like putting mobile chips as supported on a older desktop platform is a comically bad error to make but is entirely in the realm possibility since I'm sure they're not doing every CPU by hand. What Intel says is supported is what is supported, as they are the makers of the CPU and chipsets for their CPU. What they specify is what goes.

Just what are you reading? The Pentium 4-M chipsets don't list any Core 2 Duos, and it makes sense because Pentium 4-M was Pentium M's predecessor. Pentium M was succeeded by Core Duo; Core Duo was not a desktop chip. The tinypic image is removed, and I suspect is what a too obvious fabrication for to you keep online. Core 2 Duo compatible chipsets start with 945GC chipset, which is mentioned later in the page.

Chipset is essential. The CPU communicates with the Northbridge and Southbridge. Older chipsets are not compatible with newer chips, which is the case with the 8xx series chipsets and newer chip like a Core 2 or i7 of any generation.

Fact of the matter is that the 865 series chipset came out in 2003, three years before Intel finally brought out Conroe at the E4xxx series chips.
LGA 775 was already prevalent by that time though, being rolled out in mid-2004. Desktop Socket 478, by the launch of Conroe, had a couple years to die.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Oh, and another thing. Mobile chips are bare die. Desktop chips have a heatspreader. I doubt the socket 478 heatsink can make firm contact with a mobile chip.

cplyakap

Aug 9, 2017
Just what are you reading? The Pentium 4-M chipsets don't list any Core 2 Duos, and it makes sense because Pentium 4-M was Pentium M's predecessor. Pentium M was succeeded by Core Duo; Core Duo was not a desktop chip. The tinypic image is removed, and I suspect is what a too obvious fabrication for to you keep online. Core 2 Duo compatible chipsets start with 945GC chipset, which is mentioned later in the page.

Chipset is essential. The CPU communicates with the Northbridge and Southbridge. Older chipsets are not compatible with newer chips, which is the case with the 8xx series chipsets and newer chip like a Core 2 or i7 of any generation.

Fact of the matter is that the 865 series chipset came out in 2003, three years before Intel finally brought out Conroe at the E4xxx series chips.
LGA 775 was already prevalent by that time though, being rolled out in mid-2004. Desktop Socket 478, by the launch of Conroe, had a couple years to die.

PrZ0V8.jpg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, OP, there are 865PE mobos that take Core2Duo CPUs. I've owned a few of them. Mostly ASRock concoctions.

Your board is not, and does not, take a Core2. Give it up.

Edit: And stop taking CPU upgrade advice from "game-debate.com". LOL. :p

Edit: Your board, and current P4, are Socket 478, correct? Core2Duo desktop CPUs, only ever came in Socket 775 form-factor, for desktops. (Or socket 771, for Xeon versions, but that is cross-compatible with S775 mobos, with a mod or two to them. Not with your S478 board though.)

cplyakap

Aug 9, 2017
Yes, OP, there are 865PE mobos that take Core2Duo CPUs. I've owned a few of them. Mostly ASRock concoctions.

Your board is not, and does not, take a Core2. Give it up.

Edit: And stop taking CPU upgrade advice from "game-debate.com". LOL. :p

Edit: Your board, and current P4, are Socket 478, correct? Core2Duo desktop CPUs, only ever came in Socket 775 form-factor, for desktops. (Or socket 771, for Xeon versions, but that is cross-compatible with S775 mobos, with a mod or two to them. Not with your S478 board though.)

I've already give up, no problem. Thanks for all answers!