Core 2 Duo Vcore investigation

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm curious about different Vcore settings for the Core 2 Duo.

I realize that when you set Vcore to "Auto" the motherboard will supply enough current to the cpu to keep the voltage constant and that is why "Auto" Vcore settings will send cpu temps through the roof.

Of course the trick is to find a Vcore setting that when under load won't droop so much to make your system unstable but not so high that it will cook your cpu.

Here is what I have found using cpuz (v1.38) and Orthos.

At stock settings my P5B-Deluxe and E6400 with Vcore on auto idles and loads at 1.280 Volts.

Overclocked to 3.2 (everything else the same) it idles and loads at 1.213 Volts.

Question - Why would less current be supplied to the cpu on auto when overclocked? What logic in this circuit could account for this?

Perhaps (and this is just a theory) if your system run stably when overclocked with Vcore set to auto you can take that setting and try to match it with a manual setting.

For example, overclocked to 3200 my auto Vcore is 1.213 Volts. When manually set to Vcore=1.35, under load my Vcore=1.28.

Using my theory I should lower my Vcore manually until my load Vcore as reported by cpuz is about 1.213, and hopefully I would remain stable.

This could save some time in finding a minimum stable voltage.

I would be very interested to know what other people's Vcore is when set to auto, both at stock settings and overclocked.

Why?

First, perhaps, just perhaps, there is some info in each cpu that the motherboard "reads" when setting Vcore at certain speeds.

Second, this might just be standard from motherboard to motherboard.

Anyway, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable guys and gals here will figure this out. I'm just thinking out loud here.

So if you could please report your cpu model, motherboard model, and Vcore as reported by cpuz at both stock and overclocked speeds.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I found that above a setting of something like 1.475v, CPUz reported my vcore wrong(much lower than what I set it to). So maybe the readings you're getting with the OCed CPU are actually on a higher vcore than you think.

Verify this with your temps.

StopSign

Dec 15, 2006
What I do is undervolt it a lot at the start, after I find a stable overclock with a healthy Vcore. I believe I set this to 1.2v in the bios. My approach was that if I get problems, it's probably due to Vcore being too low. If I don't get problems, it means my Vcore is fine. If it's fine, I lower it some more. I keep doing this until I can't lower it any further.

I found that my minimum Vcore for my current overclock is around 1.25 in the bios. Anything lower and I'll still be somewhat stable but after several hours of usage my CPU would shoot up to 100% load on one core and the system would grind to a halt.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My temps are corresponding with Vcore.

Xdreamer,

I don't know anything about that Xeon 3040. Is that a C2D part?

imported_yes

Jan 30, 2007
E6660@3.02GHz@1.2V (BIOS setting auto) and P5WDH. After experimenting, as you've done, I discovered that it settles at 1.2V on 100% load. Noted this using CPU-Z and Asus AI Overclocker tool. Memory Mushkin HP2 PC2-6400@1.95V@5-4-4-11. My temps on stock cooler are 49-50C and MB@37-38C. This MB's BIOS sucks. I am running BIOS 1707 (almost latest) but there is no settings for fine tuning voltages.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
E6660@3.02GHz@1.2V (BIOS setting auto) and P5WDH. After experimenting, as you've done, I discovered that it settles at 1.2V on 100% load. Noted this using CPU-Z and Asus AI Overclocker tool. Memory Mushkin HP2 PC2-6400@1.95V@5-4-4-11. My temps on stock cooler are 49-50C and MB@37-38C. This MB's BIOS sucks. I am running BIOS 1707 (almost latest) but there is no settings for fine tuning voltages.

OMG dude...

you need to do some more reading cos you're OCing on blind O_O

Here's a great guide for your (OUR) mobo: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193

Disable Intel Speed Step to enable vcore adjustment.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
don't use cpu-z to measure voltage... with many boards, once you set above 1.45ish the voltage read will be someting like 1.2 or lower...