Corded vs battery leaf blower?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Looking to buy a leaf blower. Have a very small yard. I've bought into the WORX 40v battery system as well as the Ryobi 18v systems. Reading a lot about blowers saying that they are not worth it doing electric due to lack of power. Is this true? Longevity of battery is not a concern since my yard is small.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Rake. They use no energy, and make no noise. A friend of mine uses a Makita battery blower to clear woodchips after doing a job. Seems to work well for that. Seriously though, rakes are easy to use, and they never don't work. Not every job requires a power tool.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
18V blowers do lack power, I'd only get something 40V or higher. If you're a glutton for punishment, an 18V to 24V brushless blower with an upper tier, high current battery might be borderline powerful enough.

In that case, of 40V+ higher performance blowers, they do typically have 15 mins or less runtime on a single series, 2.5Ah or lower capacity pack, and the next size up double capacity pack, may cost more than the entire blower kit does, and of course adds weight.

Sometimes even the first same-capacity battery that came in the kit, can cost as much to replace as the kit if you found the kit on sale. It can make sense to buy two entire kits in some cases. Wacky internet pricing for the win!

Considering what you already have, I'd read some reviews on the 40V Worx, OR sometimes you can get pretty good deals on the Ryobi 40V kits as factory blems or refurbs, for example these two right now are discounted:

The first one being brushless is probably worth at least the $20 price difference because you'll get more work done per charge or that translates into less discharge depth counting against total # of charges, so the battery pack lasts longer before below a capacity where you need to replace it down the road.

Rakes my arse! lol, maybe in certain limited applications but if you have much in the way of leaves, or pavement where grass clippings deposit after mowing, a rake is a tedious, time consuming, chore that doesn't have to happen. Besides I find the noise from running a rake along concrete, trying to get up sparse stuck-on grass clippings for a half hour or longer, more annoying than the sound of a leaf blower that does the job 5X as fast.

The electric blowers make plenty of noise, but it is higher pitched than with gas blowers and I don't find that the sound penetrates buildings as much, unless of course the owner has the windows open and then they get whatever they hear as there's almost constant mowing/blower/etc noise here at this time of year on any day it hasn't rained. Heh, any minute now I'll be done digesting dinner and be out mowing and blowing again.

When I replaced my gas blower, I got a Craftsman. It was on sale, and I figured that with this being Black & Decker's new line of Craftsman 60V tools, they'd be around a good while, at least until I needed a new battery.

Nope, they shut down their 60V line so I'll end up rebuilding the pack myself when the time comes, or recently I got a lead on another option which is that SB&D are still making compatible batteries for their Cub Cadet branded blower which is the same thing but different brand name and coloring. It's still more expensive than the entire Craftsman kit was, but at least it blows good and I should have a fairly low yearly TCO.

Corded, just no unless you have a very small property area to blow. I'd go back to a gas blower before a corded one, something with a commercial engine, not a $90 homeowner grade. This is in the context that I need to blow practically every time I mow. Leaves in fall, I mulch mow those, no reasonable way to tackle the amount of leaves I have, with a cordless blower, and I'm better off not bagging and disposing of them because my high clay soil benefits from mulching/composting to enrich the topsoil... though I'm not one of those guys that's really picky/obsessive about his lawn, but I don't want spring grass muck stuck to my paved areas either.

Last edited:
Reactions: pete6032

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
right tool for the right job. I use a rake both leaf and landscape, battery handheld and gas powered backpack depending on what needs done.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
About the only time I use a rake is a leaf rake after trimmer shrubs, get the clippings off the shrubs and off the mulch around them, into the yard or pavement for gathering, and a garden rake for spreading the mulch in the first place.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I bought an 18v Ryobi leaf blower a few years ago. It works well for dry leaves, grass clippings on a hard surface such as a driveway or sidewalk. However, if what you are blowing is a little wet and/or not on a hard surface, such as blowing leaves on your lawn, it struggles a bit.

If I could go back in time and make the purchase again, I would have spent the extra money and went with a 40v system.

-kp

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Well I bought a 40v WORX battery blower. Got an amazing deal buying a refurb from WORX through WORX's eBay account. I know the Ryobi 40v has much better reviews but I only have 18v Ryobi batteries and I wasn't going to spend an arm and a leg on batteries. I plan to test the WORX and see how it does. If I need to return it, I will by the Toro Powerjet F700.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ While I'm thinking about it, I recall I have a Worx 40V battery lying around, their WA3580 (40V, 2Ah), would it work with that blower you found on ebay and if so could you link it?

I know it's supposed to work with their WG580 blower but those are getting harder to find, and I don't know that much about Worx batteries, chargers, and tool inter-compatibility.

I saw some other Worx 40V blowers but it looks like they are set up to take 2 x 20V batteries to end up at 40V.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
^ While I'm thinking about it, I recall I have a Worx 40V battery lying around, their WA3580 (40V, 2Ah), would it work with that blower you found on ebay and if so could you link it?

I know it's supposed to work with their WG580 blower but those are getting harder to find, and I don't know that much about Worx batteries, chargers, and tool inter-compatibility.

I saw some other Worx 40V blowers but it looks like they are set up to take 2 x 20V batteries to end up at 40V.
I'm not sure if you can use only one battery with the blower I bought. The configuration shows two batteries plugged into the blower. If it does work with one battery plugged in it would feel off-balance. The blower I bought is the WG584.9. It sells for $150 new, but WORX sells them refurbished through eBay for $80 with free shipping.

It's not the most powerful leaf blower out there. The Ryobi Whisper is considered the best 40v battery blower and I found that on eBay for $100 but that didn't include the 40v battery.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Their 20V and 40V battery mounts are different so if it takes two 20V, it won't work with one 40V on one mount, unless they figured out some way to make the mount dual-battery compatible which I doubt.

The 40V tools for the pack I have seem scarce now, so I'll probably just tear it open and harvest the 18650 cells as I have a few flashlights that can use unprotected cells, or rebuild some other battery pack with them.

That's what I did with the other battery, Worx had an ebay sale a couple years back, get $10 off a $20 or more order so I ordered a couple batteries on separate orders and got them for $10 each after the discount which was a pretty good deal, inside were 10x Samsung INR18650-20R which normally sell for a lot more than a buck a piece.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Just got the blower and used it to clean the dust out of my garage floor and I'm not impressed with it. Likely will return.

Nov 17, 2019
I got an 18V Ryobi because I had a bunch of those tools and batteries. It's OK, but not great. Then I bought a Ryobi multi-tool 40V kit that came with a blower that really blows. Even has a turbo mode. Like hang on to your hat blows. Kit also had a chainsaw, hedge trimmer, line trimmer and push lawnmower, plus several batteries. All work well.

I leave the hedge clippings under the hedges to become mulch. No sense pulling organic stuff out to dispose of, then buying orgnaic stuff to stuff under the hedges.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have a 80v Greenworks leaf blower along with lot of other tools from that platform and it works great. I use it mostly to clear the driveway and street from stray grass after mowing and will even move rocks and sand. In winter it gets the most use, as a way to quickly clear snow off the vehicle. It has quite a lot of power. Oddly enough I've never actually used it on leaves.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I leave the hedge clippings under the hedges to become mulch. No sense pulling organic stuff out to dispose of, then buying orgnaic stuff to stuff under the hedges.
I compost my clippings. Besides I don't trim the shrubs often enough to have fine particles, more like 1ft long in some cases which would look unkept lying around. I think about pulling out the faster growning shrubs and replacing with something slower growing but so far, trimming is easier. Might have to think again about that, a few very cold days last winter seem to have severely stunted if not mostly killed a few.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
56V EGO tools are the best. Forget 18V for yard work.

I have 3, backpack style and 2 hand held.