Cops showed up at my house last night at 10PM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
If you really were black like your avatar, you'd have a beer at the White House in about a week.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: JLee
Wait...so you're pissy because you pushed the emergency button and the cops showed up?

That was my thought. You screwed up and you're ticked because everything worked the way it was supposed to? You should have thanked the officers and apologized profusely for wasting their time.

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Originally posted by: JDub02
the car didn't believe you since your avatar is black. :p clearly black avatars would only be in a stolen lexus,

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Nik
I'm not a fan of pushing buttons when I don't know what they do when the user's manual is right in the freakin glovebox. I'm not saying we should do away with dumb curiosity, I'm just not a fan.

;)

Have you seen the manuals that come with a Lexus? They're like 200 pages! Why would I read a 200 page manual for a vehicle we're only going to have for 24 hours? :laugh:

You don't have to read the whole manual. However, instead of just pushing buttons, you could grab the manual, review the index, look up that specific button, and read about it.

User manuals aren't meant for cover-to-cover reading :p

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
I don't understand why this would ruin your night. I've had similar things happen and appreciated that the system worked. I would have gone to sleep like normal.

Thinly veiled car brag thread

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
So, this thread is really about your wife's loaner car? What's the deal? It's just a loaner car from the dealership...

mikej007

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2004
Seeing only the thread title, I thought the OP was going to be Zane Johnson.

I am disappoint.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Last summer I was walking through the neighborhood and stopped and talked to some people. Husband was outside, wife was in cooking. She was making something that set off the fire alarm. About 30 seconds later the phone rings - it was ADT asking if they needed the fire department.

Husband says "no, my wife just burnt something on the stove it's fine".

About 5 minutes go by and we hear sirens. They got closer. Then closer. Sure enough the full fire squad shows up at the door asking where the fire was.

The homeowners were not happy with ADT that night :)

It's both cool and scary how "connected" we are now to response crews.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I'm not a fan of pushing buttons when I don't know what they do when the user's manual is right in the freakin glovebox. I'm not saying we should do away with dumb curiosity, I'm just not a fan.

;)

Have you seen the manuals that come with a Lexus? They're like 200 pages! Why would I read a 200 page manual for a vehicle we're only going to have for 24 hours? :laugh:

You don't have to read the whole manual. However, instead of just pushing buttons, you could grab the manual, review the index, look up that specific button, and read about it.

User manuals aren't meant for cover-to-cover reading :p

He didn't just push buttons. He couldn't see the buttons. It was too dark. He accidentally pushed the wrong one.

Knowing the manual cover to cover would not have prevented the incident.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Originally posted by: vi edit
Last summer I was walking through the neighborhood and stopped and talked to some people. Husband was outside, wife was in cooking. She was making something that set off the fire alarm. About 30 seconds later the phone rings - it was ADT asking if they needed the fire department.

Husband says "no, my wife just burnt something on the stove it's fine".

About 5 minutes go by and we hear sirens. They got closer. Then closer. Sure enough the full fire squad shows up at the door asking where the fire was.

The homeowners were not happy with ADT that night :)

It's both cool and scary how "connected" we are now to response crews.

ADT will get sued if they don't send the fire department and it turns out it was not actually "fine".

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
LOL I can imagine that story having taken a whole different direction.

Knock on door. . .OP answers. . .
Cop: "Sir did you activate the panic system in your car."
OP: "Oh well, I did by accident, sir, yes. But you see it isn't my car. . .I was just. . ."

Cop: "DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW! PUT YOUR HANDS ON THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD!"

OP: "Wait but let me expl. .."

Cop: "HE'S RESISTING ARREST! CALL FOR BACKUP."

Tazer comes out

This does not end well.