Cops shoot at jaywalker, miss and hit passers by. Charge jaywalker with assault

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Maybe if people didnt act like sheep, the cops wouldnt shoot them like sheep? How many innocent people would police shoot if a crowd of 150 people swarmed on them the next time this happened?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
This is after the fact. All the police saw was a man run into traffic. He could have been running from someone in fear or running towards someone to help them. He could have been mentally sick..............which he was. He could have been drunk. There are a lot of reasons why he could have did what he did. Under no circumstances should the police have decided to shoot him.

As usual you have your own version of what happened. It was not after the fact, it was what caused the police to try to apprehend him.

The Times Square shooting that wounded two bystanders happened in a New York minute.
It took just about 60 seconds from the time two police officers saw a deranged, unarmed man weaving in and out of traffic on Eighth Ave. on Saturday night to when shots were fired, a source said Sunday.
The fracas broke out at 9:36 p.m. when Glenn Broadnax attempted to evade cops who were trying to stop him from weaving between vehicles near W. 42nd St., cops said.
“This individual was blocking traffic and appeared to be attempting to be hit by cars when a police officer on foot patrol attempted to take him into custody,” Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said hours later.

“He pulled what they thought was a gun,” the source said. “There was a large crowd, and who knows what would have happened if he did have a gun.”

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Aren't there cameras all over the place in NYC.. Esp this area? If the cop's story is true..They are probably justified in using force if he was reaching into his pockets. Granted, opening fire in a crowded area is not a responsible thing to do...Depending on the situation it may have been legal.

Also, was it mentioned what the "it" was he pulled out? If it was a black, metal looking object, Okay I could see them thinking it was a gun.. but..if it was a banana or something.. That's different.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
damn, not even the devil himself would want this threads obvious devil's advocate. Lol

were these cops wearing white helmets and body armor?
5b1m033836.jpg

roflmfao!!!!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I love some of the "logic" used in this thread.

the guy MIGHT run off and get hit or cause a accident? so lets save people and shoot wildly! woooo!

/facepalm

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
42nd street and 7th avenue - Tourists, Cameras...whatever
42nd street and 8th avenue - I HATE walking around there (bus terminal).
I hate 8th avenue from the low 30th all the way up to mid 40's.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
As usual you have your own version of what happened. It was not after the fact, it was what caused the police to try to apprehend him.

God you can play so stupid at times. They saw a man running around in traffic, they did not know why he was doing it. That's my point. They are cops, they should have walked out and stopped traffic while they apprehend the man, not start shooting like a couple of dopes.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
God you can play so stupid at times. They saw a man running around in traffic, they did not know why he was doing it. That's my point. They are cops, they should have walked out and stopped traffic while they apprehend the man, not start shooting like a couple of dopes.

I suspect that the cops were relatives of Londo.

Mix Rambo-like rage and violence with Three Stooges-like intelligence and competence and crap like this is what you get.

SurelyYouJest

Jul 17, 2013
Maybe criminals can be trained not to shoot at police or make threatening moves towards police then the police wouldn't have a defensive state of mind when it comes to situations such as this.

Maybe the police should be trained to actually hit their target.:whiste:

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
By all means allow a deranged person to run into traffic. No way would people swerve to miss him and potentially injure or kill some with their car.

So it would be ok to shoot a 10 year old kid to prevent them from running into traffic?
The risks to everyone else due to people swerving would be the same.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't read the whole thread but does it seem to anyone else that cops are too trigger happy in this country? If the above account is true, that all a cop needs as reason to shoot you, is if you reach into your pocket, isn't that going a bit far? George Zimmerman was raked over the coals for shooting an adult male who was on top of him and beating his head into the ground. Cops shoot someone who reaches their hand into their pockets, cops get a commendation medal. Why the huge dispairity?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Yes, there are times when the police are trigger happy but by the same token they shouldn't have to wait until they've been shot or injured to take action. Just as in the Zimmerman case, many felt he wasn't beaten up enough to defend himself with deadly force.

SurelyYouJest

Jul 17, 2013
Apparently, as someone said earlier, the two officers had access to non-lethal means because that is how they finally took him down. Why did they think that deadly force should be used first?
With the numerous non-lethal "toys" police can use I wonder what idiot made the decision to allow these(or any) officers to carry lethal weapons in what is one of the most crowded places, in one of the most crowded cities in the US? Where collateral damage is all but guaranteed.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I love some of the "logic" used in this thread.

the guy MIGHT run off and get hit or cause a accident? so lets save people and shoot wildly! woooo!

/facepalm

How about... he reaches for his pockets / clothing, and then quickly pulls his hand out. What should standard policy be if a person has 1: Noticed the police, and 2: has made a threatening move?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
I didn't read the whole thread but does it seem to anyone else that cops are too trigger happy in this country? If the above account is true, that all a cop needs as reason to shoot you, is if you reach into your pocket, isn't that going a bit far? George Zimmerman was raked over the coals for shooting an adult male who was on top of him and beating his head into the ground. Cops shoot someone who reaches their hand into their pockets, cops get a commendation medal. Why the huge dispairity?

Welcome to the police state.
Agents of the State are exempt from the laws of the State.