Cops get the boot...

Ogrinz

Dec 2, 2012
Well, in Florida at least there is a specific statute regarding depriving officer of means to perform his duty ie booting his car. So in Florida he would be 100% in the wrong.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The OP is very confusing. "Get the boot" typically means something else (kicked out) and there is no mention of a vehicle to clarify.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Sounds like a good case and they lost the contract right after this so they can show real loses as well.

I'm sure they will settle and tax payers will be on the hook while the cops keep their job.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Sounds like a good case and they lost the contract right after this so they can show real loses as well.

I'm sure they will settle and tax payers will be on the hook while the cops keep their job.

They should be able to keep their jobs if the suit is successful and they pay it out of their salaries.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
They should be able to keep their jobs if the suit is successful and they pay it out of their salaries.

I disagree. Any officer willing to do this has obviously been corrupted by his authority and is no longer fit to carry the badge. They knew damn well that they were outside the bounds of their authority, they just didnt care.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
It wasn't worth the $90. IMO, as a business, they should have simply let them go. The company ended up losing the contract with the parking lot due to all the attention. The under cover cops may have been ass holes, but was it worth the contract and trouble of a law suit? Eh, not to me. They should probably extend the "official courtesy" to include all law enforcement, again from a business perspective.

After the fact, the cops should be taken to task. Shaking down an attendant, stealing his keys and illegally removing the device from their car should absolutely be prosecuted.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
The OP is very confusing. "Get the boot" typically means something else (kicked out) and there is no mention of a vehicle to clarify.

It's called a play on words. Yes, "get the boot" usually means someone got fired but I followed that with "and then try to arrest the guy who booted them", which the story I link to fully explains. The link even has a picture of a vehicle with a boot on it!

It's not really complicated...lol

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Well, in Florida at least there is a specific statute regarding depriving officer of means to perform his duty ie booting his car. So in Florida he would be 100% in the wrong.
actually its much more involved than your simplified version!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
not at all...it just takes some semblance of being able to comprehend English.....

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
What I thought was hilarious about this story is that the cops claimed to be undercover. If they were undercover then why did they blow their cover to avoid a parking fine? Heck, they would have looked like regular peeps dealing with a vehicle boot, possibly enhancing their cover. The truth is that they were at lunch, they parked in another businesses parking lot and their vehicle got booted for it.

If this is the case then one more bit of truth is that they were using their positions to get away with a parking violation and harass an employee who was only doing their job.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It's called a play on words. Yes, "get the boot" usually means someone got fired but I followed that with "and then try to arrest the guy who booted them", which the story I link to fully explains. The link even has a picture of a vehicle with a boot on it!

It's not really complicated...lol

Except that "booted" as a verb is also clear as mud. If you said "the man who attached the boot," then it would have been clear.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
The whole first line was a play on words that becomes clear when the reader clicks through to the article. If you have a problem with that then it's your problem, not mine.

Sorry, no cheese today, you'll have to enjoy your whine without it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I almost didn't click the thread OR the article. I'm telling you how you can improve that so that it has the intended effect.

Geez. I wasn't whining. I was offering constructive advice so you can communicate what you want more effectively, including the play on words. Why so defensive? Who's '"whining" again?

A mention of the vehicle would do it. Instead, we get "employee," "company," and "body cam." I could only imagine a bouncer or something booting a cop from some place exclusive until reading other replies (still haven't read the article).

Last edited:

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I almost didn't click the thread OR the article. I'm telling you how you can improve that so that it has the intended effect.

Geez. I wasn't whining. I was offering constructive advice so you can communicate what you want more effectively, including the play on words. Why so defensive? Who's '"whining" again?

A mention of the vehicle would do it. Instead, we get "employee," "company," and "body cam." I could only imagine a bouncer or something booting a cop from some place exclusive until reading other replies (still haven't read the article).

I'm posting about an inane subject on a public forum, not composing a novel or telling a story. I deliberately played on the words, but for some reason you are missing that point. I am not trying to score views or impress people with mad writing skillz. That is the line that popped into my head when I read the story and it's no more complex than that. I thought it was funny when I thought about it that way and if anyone was interested then they would click through. Regarding composition, I know exactly what you are saying and I really don't care.

This might shock you but I'm not writing to make you happy. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have noticed a thing if you had not clicked through, nor would I have cared if you had not. In the end, it interested you enough to click through.

End of story (again...lol).