- - - -
I bought a classic CD off ebay, it arrived yesterday:

Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty Eight

Originally a double LP release, rereleased on CD, the original mono recording:

Release Year:1984Artist:Chuck Berry
Style:Rock 'n' RollUPC:0076741250028
EAN:0076741250028

Ebay listing:

Represented as "Very Good" and it actually looks brand new, but wasn't in shrinkwrap.

I did what I usually do, ripped using Imgburn and modified the .CUE file to include CD Text - Track names + the year/month of the performance, for example: Maybellene - 1955 May

I burned two Verbatim CDR blanks with the rip, using Imgburn. I've been doing that for many years, generally with no issues.

So, I listen to one of my burns today and a little more than 1/2 way through the last (28th) track I hear this crazy pretty loud screeching kind of noise. It lasts maybe 8-10 seconds and then goes away. I've tried everything to troubleshoot this, including re-ripping using the same rip drive, a new external Pioneer BDR-XS07S Silver 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache Serial ATA Revision 3.0 Blu-ray Burner. I played the original disk a couple of times in different CD players and that track sounds fine ("I Want to be Your Driver"). I ripped using a different PC, a mini-tower with an LG WH16NS40 16x Internal Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc Rewriter (OEM Version), also using Imgburn. The CD made with that rip also has what I assume is the same crazy noise a little more than 1/2 way through only the final track.

Could Imgburn have something to do with this? What alternative ripper/burner software could I use to test that theory? What do you think the issue could be?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Haven't burned an audio cd in ages, but I always burned way slower than the max speed of the drive. Seemed to give better results. You could also try ExactAudioCopy...

Reactions: JimKiler

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Does the wav file made by the ripper and stored on the PC have the error?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've used EAC. I suppose I can manage CD Text using it too. I can't remember. I really want to CD Text because my players support it. Otherwise it's as though you're blind when you play a CD.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Does the wav file made by the ripper and stored on the PC have the error?
Imgburn rips CDs to this:

<file name>.bin
<file name>.cue

The .cue file is a simple text file and typically 1-3 kb. The .bin file is binary, and typically 400-800+ MB. I suppose I could tease a WAV file out of the rip, don't know how.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I suppose I could tease a WAV file out of the rip, don't know how.
I could play the track in a burner attached (or internal to) one of my PCs in real time and the use my Total Recorder program to create a WAV, but I'd have to think that would simply have the error because it would be audible (I could monitor it while the program is creating a WAV (it will create an audio file in any of many audio formats).

Well, I could use Windows Media Player to rip the CD and see what the track sounds like, that's a good idea! I could do this with the original and with one my my rips that present the error.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, I could use Windows Media Player to rip the CD and see what the track sounds like, that's a good idea! I could do this with the original and with one my my rips that present the error.
I haven't done this yet but I imagine that if I rip the original CD using WMP, the track will sound fine and if I rip the rip the track will screech!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Whoa! I just ripped the problem track off the original CD to WAV using WMP and the last 1/2 sounds awful! :(

But when I play the same track in WMP it sounds fine.

I figure I'm going to try to find where in Imgburn I can regulate the read speed when ripping.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
EAC has error correcting mode.
If the Imgburn in progress fails I'll continue to investigate using EAC. That error correcting mode, is it in effect on read or write or both? Is it automatic or is it in the options?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If the Imgburn in progress fails I'll continue to investigate using EAC. That error correcting mode, is it in effect on read or write or both? Is it automatic or is it in the options?

Options, in read mode.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm going to try EAC, error correction in effect if possible. But I need to be able to add CD Text to the result, so I'll look into that.

I want to make copies of my CDs and add CD-TEXT because my car cd player can read that. How do I do it?
It is done with the cue sheet, you (or EAC) can add TITLE and PERFORMER tags (enable it in EAC options). If you want to burn with EAC, you will also find some CD-Text options in EAC options and don’t forget to activate it in the Drive options. In the Layout Editor, you could also still change title and artists.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm installing, now configuring EAC in accordance with the installation process (i.e. have not completed the installation). Should I choose Beginner or Expert mode?

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Rip a track to MP3 (Windows Media Player can do that)
Play it on computer, how does it sound?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Couple questions:

does it sound bad when it is played from the original CD?

Does it sound bad if played on PC after it is ripped?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Couple questions:

does it sound bad when it is played from the original CD?

Does it sound bad if played on PC after it is ripped?
The original CD has sounded good on that track (#28) every time I've played it off that CD. The CD rips have sounded bad every time, played in player or with external burner played with PC (Winamp). But all the rips were read by Imgburn, burned with Imgburn, the last one burned at 1x.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just copied the problem track to WAV using EAC and it sounds fine. I suppose I can copy the disc and get a good copy. Don't see how to copy disc yet and burn a copy, can I use EAC to burn a CD?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I just copied the problem track to WAV using EAC and it sounds fine. I suppose I can copy the disc and get a good copy. Don't see how to copy disc yet and burn a copy, can I use EAC to burn a CD?
Write Questions » Exact Audio Copy
I want to make copies of my CDs and add CD-TEXT because my car cd player can read that. How do I do it?It is done with the cue sheet, you (or EAC) can add TITLE and PERFORMER tags (enable it in EAC options). If you want to burn with EAC, you will also find some CD-Text options in EAC options and don’t forget to activate it in the Drive options. In the Layout Editor, you could also still change title and artists.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm installing, now configuring EAC in accordance with the installation process (i.e. have not completed the installation). Should I choose Beginner or Expert mode?

Lol expert of course.

Reactions: Muse

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Rip to image. EAC can burn cd as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse