Cop Punches and Arrests Lesbian Couple For Kissing

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
Seems like another case where the taxpayer is on the hook for a public official's screw up.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36350525

A lesbian couple who say a policeman in Honolulu, Hawaii, harassed and wrongfully arrested them after seeing them kiss have been awarded damages.

The $80,000 (£55,150) settlement was announced in a local court, but still needs city council approval.

Courtney Wilson and Taylor Guerrero say they were told to "take it somewhere else" when the policeman saw them kissing in a food store.

They later spent three days in jail after scuffling with the officer

Honolulu City Council will consider the damages in early July. Donna Leong, of the city's Corporation Counsel, which advises on legal matters, said her department believed "the tentative settlement is in the best interests of the city".

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I wish they would have held out for more to be honest. Instead the cop retires and they get to pay legal fees and probably barley have enough to cover their damages.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This depends whether it was just a kiss or public groping. If they were blocking others from shopping then he might have been somewhat justified. It is a public place after all. Children might be watching. You would think that this is to be expected between two lovers in Hawaii. They were asked by a police officer to take it outside the store. I wonder what the laws are there.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This depends whether it was just a kiss or public groping. If they were blocking others from shopping then he might have been somewhat justified. It is a public place after all. Children might be watching. You would think that this is to be expected between two lovers in Hawaii. They were asked by a police officer to take it outside the store. I wonder what the laws are there.

All I know is that they wear hula skirts and bake pigs underground and talk with their hands. I hear they also throw people into volcanos.

This leads me to the conclusion that such primitives probably have the same laws as we do.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
As usual, Cops are out of control. Kissing your lover is not against the law in any state. It's like cops are enforcing sharia law and will arrest or kill anyone not obeying.

Anyone wanna defend this one?

Defend it? Hell I'd want to step in on their behalf. Although that's usually a bad BAD idea to confront apes who possess guns.
I'm surprised he didn't shoot them for daring to resist.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
In Hawaii ?

They must have been doing something really outrageous in public if that happened there, Hawaii was even very LGBT tolerant in 1980-84 when I lived there.

Unless it has changed a lot, but I doubt that.

That would have to be one hell of a kiss I'd think.

I guess they have been hiring stupid cops lately, perhaps.

Last edited:

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
In Hawaii ?

They must have been doing something really outrageous in public if that happened there, Hawaii was even very LGBT tolerant in 1980-84 when I lived there.

Unless it has changed a lot, but I doubt that.

That would have to be one hell of a kiss I'd think.

I guess they have been hiring stupid cops lately, perhaps.

This seems to be more about 1 bigoted cop going off on his own. He retired shortly after this and the charges against the women were dropped.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
All I know is that they wear hula skirts and bake pigs underground and talk with their hands. I hear they also throw people into volcanos.

This leads me to the conclusion that such primitives probably have the same laws as we do.

The pigs are not cooked underground, it reminds me of an old joke a bit.

But I won't write a wall of text about it :)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This seems to be more about 1 bigoted cop going off on his own. He retired shortly after this and the charges against the women were dropped.

So asking the bad apple question, if he has such a bigoted attitude how did he remain on the force for so long?? What were the good apples doing all this time?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
COP WHO AINT GETTING ANY RAGES ON COUPLE THAT DOES, taxpayers get screwed by paying for his rage, Blue Wall protects him from any damages.
Good apples? Ask any housewife, the whole bin rots if you don't keep an eye on it and clean the rotten ones out. Any unmonitored organization falls into corruption if self policed and exempt from individual prosecution.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Born and raised in Hawaii.

To clear up a little of this and that about the mores and folkways of the local populace here in Hawaii, let me just say that there is this unique blend of social customs that have become the way of life for most long time residents.

On the one hand, we have a custom of being tolerant and welcoming of others, within reason. On the other, there is this strong undercurrent of being "conservative" in the sense that blatant outward displays of affection, no matter if its it's same sex or hetero is privately frowned upon and makes those that witness such displays feel awkward and uncomfortable. I've seen and heard of the same kinds of reactions toward visitors when I stayed with friends and relatives in Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama.

That being said, in places where visitors abound, like our major tourist attractions such as Waikiki the tolerance of such goes way above the norm simply because of the preponderance of visitors in such places.

Out on the North Shore, which is considered "out in the country", there exists this somewhat awkward yet for the most part peaceful and friendly relationship between locals, long time transplants and newcomers who plan to stay and attempt to "fit in".

This constant "push and pull" of blending the old with the new is a kind of perpetual cultural evolution that ebbs and flows with the times.

This "Cop on Lesbians" incident is where I saw the old and ever present "conflict of cultures" that regularly occur within the ebb and flow previously referred to. The problem I see with this incident is that a local LEO (with his locally imbued values) was involved where if it was just another "local" expressing their consternation at the uhhhhh..... "blatant display of physical carnality" in a public place, it would have ended right then and there.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Seems kind of low for being forced to live on a friggen island for 6 months while who the hell knows what happens to your life, job, house/apartment, car, bills, etc... back home.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The pigs are not cooked underground, it reminds me of an old joke a bit.

But I won't write a wall of text about it :)

Well, yeah they kinda do cook it in the ground ( imu ) for a real Luau.

Big pit, very hot rocks, banana leaves wet burlap and lots of dirt to cover the whole mess.

Underground or an Imu.

VtPC83

Mar 5, 2008
Tweaker, is what they were doing against the law? If not then the cop had no right whatsoever to try to force them to leave because of his own 'morals'. He is there to enforce the law, not interpret it.

Hawaii may have unique and a more conservative moral code but again, unless they were breaking the actual written law, he has no right to get involved in the way he did.

Additionally, one of the reasons the lawsuit was dropped was because the surveillance tapes for the store 'disappeared'.