Cop fired for turning off camera gets reisntated

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...pel-cam-turned-off-a-lot-reinstated-to-force/

Dear's camera was not plugged in when he shot and killed a 19-year-old girl after a foot chase last year. He was cleared of the shooting, but fired after the city's police chief, Gorden Eden, said that the officer routinely did not have his lapel cam running during encounters with the public, as he was allegedly ordered to do in 2013 after there were several citizen complaints lodged against him.

That's right...he "accidentally" always had his camera turned off whenever dealing with citizens, including when he shot a woman.

He had enough complaints against him he was ordered to do so, but still he "accidentally" didn't have it on , including when he shot the woman.

So he claims a woman had a gun adn pointed it at him, so he shot her while running away. Another cop corroborated his story, but for some reason, his camera was only turned on after the woman was shot.

Meanwhile, Dear said his camera accidentally unplugged from the battery pack before he began chasing the 19-year-old suspected car thief last year after she allegedly pointed a gun at him during a foot chase. He fired in response and killed her. A fellow officer corroborated that the teen, Mary Hawkes, had pointed a gun. That on-scene officer, however, turned on his body camera after the shooting, according to public records obtained by the Albuquerque Journal.

Hmmmmm.....two cops both made sure their cameras weren't running when this woman was killed.

As we know, cops never lie right, so this had to be a good shoot right? Anyone think it is suspicious that both cops managed to have their cameras not running?

So a cop with several complaints, told to use his camera and still doesn't is getting re-instated....I'm sure the citizens in New Mexico are thrilled that this cop is back on the streets.

Nice double standard cops have.....do any laws apply to them now?

EOM

Mar 20, 2015
What's the problem? The city voted him back in. He feared for his life. What's he supposed to do say "hold on a sec let me check my camera"..?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What's the problem? The city voted him back in. He feared for his life. What's he supposed to do say "hold on a sec let me check my camera"..?

http://www.abqjournal.com/538059/news/i-was-afraid-to-die-former-apd-officer-jeremy-dear.html

A review of Dear’s personnel file showed he previously had not recorded when he used force while trying to arrest people. APD’s policy, which is under review, requires officers to record most interactions with the public.

The city has hired the University of New Mexico to study the department’s policy, which could lead to changes. But a settlement between the city and the U.S. Department of Justice calls on APD to continue to frequently record interactions between police and the public.

The settlement was reached after the DOJ investigated the department and found it had a pattern of excessive force, which included police shootings. During that investigation, the DOJ found officers are rarely disciplined for not using their lapel cameras.

“We found very few examples of officers being reprimanded for failing to record force incidents,” the DOJ report states. “The fact that few officers were reprimanded for this failure suggests that supervisors have also failed to insist on this form of accountability.”

If the officer involved in the shooting shows a pattern of not recording use of force, as required, they should be terminated forthwith.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
If the cop is doing their job than the camera should be an asset. It should corroborate their story.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
lol i've never once heard a person say their gopro camera "accidentally turned off" while doing things like surfing, mountain biking, skiing, etc. all way more intense than chasing some woman.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Gopro's don't have a wire wrapped around the persons neck and attached in the rear of the device that powers it either. Trying to compare the two is silly.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
If you can't be trusted with a camera you shouldn't be trusted with a gun.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Gopro's don't have a wire wrapped around the persons neck and attached in the rear of the device that powers it either. Trying to compare the two is silly.

then maybe they should use different technology? there are many solutions to this "problem".

as someone who works in the government space though, i'm not surprised at all that retail products work much better than stuff they waste their money on.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
then maybe they should use different technology? there are many solutions to this "problem".

as someone who works in the government space though, i'm not surprised at all that retail products work much better than stuff they waste their money on.

Using the best product would be nice. I'm assuming it is a very complex problem, as you have to get taxes to pay for things, who wants to pay more taxes? All budgets are being cut it seems like. It would be nice if the camera's didn't have to be manually turned on by cops, as I am sure it can be easy to forget in intense situations. But somehow turned on automatically when needed. His history does make this very suspect though.

I was just pointing out that your comparison is flawed and terrible. The two cameras are not similar by looking at the picture and reading the article. But you already knew that.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
He wasn't actually reinstated to the force, yet.

The core of this is insubordination and the city will very likely win the pending court action keeping this guy off the payroll.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Using the best product would be nice. I'm assuming it is a very complex problem, as you have to get taxes to pay for things, who wants to pay more taxes? All budgets are being cut it seems like. It would be nice if the camera's didn't have to be manually turned on by cops, as I am sure it can be easy to forget in intense situations. But somehow turned on automatically when needed. His history does make this very suspect though.

I was just pointing out that your comparison is flawed and terrible. The two cameras are not similar by looking at the picture and reading the article. But you already knew that.

There is a whole other separate investigation into the relationship Albuquerque has with the camera provider, Taser International. It appears to be based on kickbacks and special favors to city officials. :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

the government is cutting budgets because they've wasted so much money on shit that didn't work. they are always paying less up front for things but in the long run they end up paying way more than they would have had they paid a little bit more up front to get the job done correctly.

that's my experience in the sector at least, and it has not changed one bit. but that is for another thread.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

Of course, since he has a documented history of not turning it on multiple other times, enough that his department noticed it, that is still 100% OK with you?

Remember, #loggerslivesmatter

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
If the cop has such a problem that he can't keep his camera on when on duty then he shouldn't be on duty.

pity they reinstated him.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
As usual putting words (lies) in other peoples mouths.

Remember #lyingfoolswordsdontmatter

Did you say something?

I have said nothing that wasn't true. The cop in question has a history, so much that his dept had to tell him to turn it on.

And I didn't lie about Ackmed...he himself posted that loggers don't count as dangerous job when compared to cops. I pull can pull his quote if you want.

But you are just trolling since once again you have nothing factual to say, right? Just like when you called the survey about systemic racism in the police false. When asked for any reasoning, you just bailed from the thread. Typical for a troll, always shy away when the spotlight gets shined on you.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Did you say something?

I have said nothing that wasn't true. The cop in question has a history, so much that his dept had to tell him to turn it on.

And I didn't lie about Ackmed...he himself posted that loggers don't count as dangerous job when compared to cops. I pull can pull his quote if you want.

But you are just trolling since once again you have nothing factual to say, right? Just like when you called the survey about systemic racism in the police false. When asked for any reasoning, you just bailed from the thread. Typical for a troll, always shy away when the spotlight gets shined on you.

You seem to have difficultly understanding that stating something other than what the person has said is slander. So you may want to familiarize yourself with the word slander.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Of course, since he has a documented history of not turning it on multiple other times, enough that his department noticed it, that is still 100% OK with you?

Remember, #loggerslivesmatter

What I said;
His history does make this very suspect though.

When did I say anything he did was 100% ok with me? I didn't. I called into question his history.

But all you do is troll after me, after I make a valid comment. Like every thread, you come in and quote me trolling. Then you accuse someone else of trolling in this thread? Your hypocrisy is funny. You're trying to bait me once again, knowing I will call you out.

And lie on me once more. I never once said "#loggerlivesmatter" yet you continue to lie claiming I do. I never said their lives don't matter in any regard. You twist, contort and lie to fit your agenda. Your trolling after me is pretty sad too, just a FYI. Says a lot about you.

Please stop claiming Garfield is trolling you when he's disagreeing with you. You both wish to make your disagreements a moderator matter. Stop now, it's threadcrapping.

Perknose

Forum Director

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
You seem to have difficultly understanding that stating something other than what the person has said is slander. So you may want to familiarize yourself with the word slander.

So again, you are trolling and have nothing to back it up. Gotcha.

Troll on then.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
What I said;

When did I say anything he did was 100% ok with me? I didn't. I called into question his history.

But all you do is troll after me, after I make a valid comment. Like every thread, you come in and quote me trolling. Then you accuse someone else of trolling in this thread? Your hypocrisy is funny. You're trying to bait me once again, knowing I will call you out.

And lie on me once more. I never once said "#loggerlivesmatter" yet you continue to lie claiming I do. I never said their lives don't matter in any regard. You twist, contort and lie to fit your agenda. Your trolling after me is pretty sad too, just a FYI. Says a lot about you.

I do believe you were told to ignore me since you have serious reality issues? And I believe the mods told you that I didn't lie, and they told you I quoted you to prove I didn't lie, but you did? And yet you still are ignorant of that? I mean really?

I mean, as an admitted bigot and cop apologist you continue to deny all my data I have shown you about systemic police racism and how cops themselves admit to these things. These are facts from data from the police, so not sure how you hand-wave it away, but hey, I'm not the bigot here.

And yes, you did say loggers lives don't matter when you were ignorant of the fact that police weren't the most dangerous job, (so you are once again making incorrect statements you know nothing about, go figure, right?) and you then belittled them with your statement.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37676807&postcount=96

It is laughable trying to compare such things. A logger doesn't have people actively trying to kill them. They die because they don't get out of the way of a falling tree, or something similar. Police have to go into very hostile situations which in some cases people are shooting at them, actually trying to kill them. Not to mention so many other things that can't be put on a graph, like the stress they carry with them. Working an accident with someone who died, has to suck. Working a domestic where someone gets the shit beat out of them, has to suck. Getting called to a fight, and countless other examples. Not to mention such graphs do not have numbers of injuries from the job, just deaths. Nor does it have the toll of years of service that it has on the body. The swing shifts, the difficulty it puts on the families, stress and other factors.

So yes, yes you did. #loggerslivesmatter

And YOU need to disengage from Ackmed, too. At the least, you need to stop quoting private moderator suggestions. You had also agreed to stop continually calling him a bigot and a cop apologist. You two need to put each other on ignore, your continuing political nerd fight constitutes threadcrapping.

Both of you are instructed to stop personalizing your policy disagreements.

Perknose
Forum Director

Nov 25, 2013
Did you say something?

C'mon, he did say this "His history does make this very suspect though."

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The prob lem is idiots who say things like he feared for his life, not understanding he was ordered to have the camera on...it is suppose to be on 24/7....almost all the tim e!