Cop beats man with Flashlight in 2009 - gets probation this week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You know When they say a bad apple spoils the bunch?

Every time anyone involved in law enforcement covers for one who does something like this it makes them a bad apple.

Spoiling the bunch.

That doesn't go far enough, every time anyone involved in law enforcement doesn't, when able, actively stop and arrest a fellow LEO when they see them doing shit like this makes them a bad apple.

No way in hell should that guy have been able to have been beaten that bad with those other "good apples" standing within feet of him. They had the right to use deadly force to stop that "bad apple", see any of them draw their guns in the video? Hell, did you see any of them violently take down the "bad apple" to stop the assault?

I wonder if he was even arrested at the scene, anyone want to take bets that he wasn't?

Yet we are supposed to believe that those officers are the good ones....

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Well, again, just because one cop is bad and one is bad through inaction doesn't mean the majority of cops are bad. There might have been 20 cops who would have stepped up and stopped something from happening, but there weren't 20 cops there. There was a bad cop, and a bad cop through inaction. No evidence/proof that a majority of cops are bad.

No there weren't 20 cops there, just 4 (5 if you count the assaulting officer) that you can see in the video. Who knows how many more, if any, were out of frame.

I find it amazing that we see so few videos, albeit I have seen a few, of these good apples physically stopping the bad apples and arresting them on the spot. Surely with all the good apples out there we should see and hear about them arresting the bad apples at least as much as we see videos of the bad apples right? Its not hard to assume that for every video of these bad apples that at least 10 more incidents happen that don't have video evidence.

Additionally, if a majority of cops were bad, then you would expect to see, uh, a lot more stories like this. You would expect that a lot more people would be getting assaulted by cops like the reference story we're discussing, if the majority of cops are like this.

Yet, we don't see these stories in the hundreds of thousands, and yet cops interact in the hundreds of millions with the public each year. Which tends to support the idea that most cops are not bad...otherwise more people would be getting assaulted.

Just because a cop doesn't beat the fuck out of you while you are handcuffed doesn't make him a good cop in my book. If you sit back and allow another cop to commit felonies and do nothing, I find it very difficult to call that a good cop. What say you?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Its a shame such strong hatred is being directed at things people have no clue works. Most people posting here arent criminals or cops or criminal attorneys....yet somehow we have a few experts here able to give broad sweeping hatred based on editorials from conspiracy theory websites.

im always open to the truth...i understand i dont know everything.

these circle jerk hate posts have nothing to do with real news or reality, its to continue spinning a cycle so you have a bogeyman to hate.

Cut the shit. You are so god damn condescending and demeaning to insinuate that if someone isn't a criminal or cop or attorney that we can't tell the difference between right and wrong. The anger is due to cops doing evil shit and the other cops just standing around and letting it happen and then closing ranks to defend the evil cop. The anger is compounded by qualified immunity, internal affairs busting their ass to find a reason why unconstitutional shit is super cool due to departmental policies that somehow trump the fucking constitution, and DAs that routinely and intentionally eff up cases against cops to ensure they get probation for beating a cuffed suspect into a 2 day fucking coma.

You appear to have made the decision that you are going to be a part of the thin blue line circle jerk and defend cops at all costs. It's very annoying watching you jump around from strategy to strategy to try and find what works to convince people that cops should never be accountable. Nothing so far has worked, so recently you appear to be on the whiny "brutality-haters are bigots" kick. It's not working. Time for the next strategy.

Know this: we the people have hired cops to do a job. WE dictate how it gets done. Not you cops. We hired you, not vice versa. If you don't like it, quit. If you want to be brutal then fuck off; we don't want that shit. Bye.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I find it amazing that we see so few videos, albeit I have seen a few, of these good apples physically stopping the bad apples and arresting them on the spot. Surely with all the good apples out there we should see and hear about them arresting the bad apples at least as much as we see videos of the bad apples right? Its not hard to assume that for every video of these bad apples that at least 10 more incidents happen that don't have video evidence.

This is a damn good point. Which vids have you seen of cops stopping the bad apples? I can't recall having seen any, except for one where a cop stopped a beating and then got fired for it.

Edit: I just did a quick Google for "cop stops another cop from beating" and just got a bunch of articles about good cops being fired for stopping bad cops from unnecessary brutality. Further evidence that cops see beating the shit out of people as a job perk, not a necessity.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This is a damn good point. Which vids have you seen of cops stopping the bad apples? I can't recall having seen any, except for one where a cop stopped a beating and then got fired for it.

Edit: I just did a quick Google for "cop stops another cop from beating" and just got a bunch of articles about good cops being fired for stopping bad cops from unnecessary brutality. Further evidence that cops see beating the shit out of people as a job perk, not a necessity.

The ones that aren't fired are usually driven to quit by their coworkers. If they have the stones they can work in a very hostile work environment for however long they can stand it. Crossing the blue line is not tolerated and if you do it you will pay.

That's why you saw those 4 cops basically standing around while the felon beat him into a coma with a flashlight.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
The ones that aren't fired are usually driven to quit by their coworkers. If they have the stones they can work in a very hostile work environment for however long they can stand it. Crossing the blue line is not tolerated and if you do it you will pay.

That's why you saw those 4 cops basically standing around while the felon beat him into a coma with a flashlight.

I saw articles where good cops got dead rats left on their patrol car hood, stuff stolen from them, backup refusing to arrive in very dangerous situations, being threatened to their face by brothers and superiors, and outright fired for pithy reasons.

The question is again: where are the good cops? Where is the voice of the vast majority and why aren't they stepping up provide backup and protection for the good ones who speak out?

How does this culture exist unless it is perpetuated by an evil majority who have decided that they don't want to be good and virtuous and moral people, but they want to use the protections of their position and authority and relationship to DAs and judges to get away with their cruel, abusive, brutal, evil, hypocritical, and even life-ruining behavior.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I saw articles where good cops got dead rats left on their patrol car hood, stuff stolen from them, backup refusing to arrive in very dangerous situations, being threatened to their face by brothers and superiors, and outright fired for pithy reasons.

The question is again: where are the good cops? Where is the voice of the vast majority and why aren't they stepping up provide backup and protection for the good ones who speak out?

How does this culture exist unless it is perpetuated by an evil majority who have decided that they don't want to be good and virtuous and moral people, but they want to use the protections of their position and authority and relationship to DAs and judges to get away with their cruel, abusive, brutal, evil, hypocritical, and even life-ruining behavior.
Maybe when the public they ostensibly protect do nothing but direct enraged hyperbole at them, 24/7, they circle the wagons like almost any group of people who are lumped together with the "bad apples".

Or maybe the majority of cops are evil, which is why everyone, everywhere, is getting their teeth knocked out every time they even speak to a cop in public. Or something.

oobydoobydoo

Nov 14, 2014
They need to remove the qualified immunity cops have for all the BS they seem to pull. If they weren't guaranteed to get away scott free, they would think twice about beating people into comas with flashlights.

What has this country come to?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
They need to remove the qualified immunity cops have for all the BS they seem to pull. If they weren't guaranteed to get away scott free, they would think twice about beating people into comas with flashlights.

What has this country come to?

This is a clear problem.

Whenever a police officer is brought up on charges, there should be a special prosecutor rather than a normal prosecutor. The normal prosecutor often works with these police officers and for the most part, a Grand Jury belongs to the prosecutor, whereas the jurors are just temporary squatters.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Maybe when the public they ostensibly protect do nothing but direct enraged hyperbole at them, 24/7, they circle the wagons like almost any group of people who are lumped together with the "bad apples".

Or maybe the majority of cops are evil, which is why everyone, everywhere, is getting their teeth knocked out every time they even speak to a cop in public. Or something.

So they have a tough job and instead of quitting or correcting the problem they double down on the reason the public they work for lump them together with the bad apples?

Great excuse to protect felons wearing a badge and protected from their felonious behavior by the very same people paying their salaries, pensions and healthcare.

Also a great excuse to run off the truly good cops who turn in the truly bad cops.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This is a clear problem.

Whenever a police officer is brought up on charges, there should be a special prosecutor rather than a normal prosecutor. The normal prosecutor often works with these police officers and for the most part, a Grand Jury belongs to the prosecutor, whereas the jurors are just temporary squatters.

I personally like the idea of a civilian review board compromised of legal experts, preferably law professors or something of the sort. People completely removed from the system that works so closely with the police. If they are indicted by the civilian review board they shouldn't be tried anywhere near the district they work in. That takes the judges and prosecutors that the cops work with and know very well out of the picture.

Its not that all of those people can't or won't do their jobs effectively when dealing with police but their is a very clear conflict of interest. We don't let a prosecutor work a case involving their family members but we let them work cases with coworkers that can literally make or break their careers.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
This country really needs to take police crime much more seriously. Everyday you hear about these horrible stories and its incredible how little personal liability policemen are exposed almost regardless of the crime.

oobydoobydoo

Nov 14, 2014
There is no way to make them take it seriously, because we are basically going to the criminals and asking them to investigate themselves. The absurd amount of colluding that clearly goes on between Judges, prosecutors, and police has been exposed. It's too bad that I see no end in sight to this. We are giving them more powerful guns to kill us with, and then passing laws to exempt them from even the basic responsibilities of normal citizens.

Do you remember when that South Korean ferry crashed and like 350 kids died? And the captain was found to have abandoned ship, and charged with a crime? If that man was a cop in America he would have been put on desk duty, because who would expect a ferry captain to be responsible for his charges? At worst he would get fired and collected his pension, and go on to be a Ferry captain elsewhere.