cooling to counteract Virtualbox video streaming

zug134zwang

Feb 15, 2018
Many cable-tv websites (e.g. cox.com, hbo.com) do not support any linux os. As a workaround, I installed Windows 7 Pro in a Fedora 26 Virtualbox. When I maxout the Virtualbox settings (based on my hardware), I have Virtualbox-allocated 4 core to the Virtualbox-cpu, 20gb ram, and 128mb video.

I never overclock and I use the linux sensors utility to check temperature. Based on sensors, my pc idles at 35C. When video streaming a hi-def movie at cox.com or hbo.com, the temperature rises to 54C. I want to counteract the increased cpu load and cool the pc back down to 35-40C.

On another forum, I have explored software alternatives, such as a separate Windows boot, a Windows-user-agent in the browser, or playonlinux. I would like to restrict this query to hardware solutions, such as an AIO cooler, replacing the cpu (heat sink) cooler, or purchasing a hardware (video-stream decoder, e.g. a video card). I want to budget the remedy at less than $100. I request recommendations.

my rig

cpu : Intel I5-4440 Processor BX80646I54440
mobo : (64 bit) Gigabyte H97 SATA Express M.2 SSD UEFI DualBIOS DDR3 1600 LGA
video : onboard video only, no video card
memory : 32 gb
cooling : cpu (heat sink) fan and several case fans.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
or purchasing a hardware (video-stream decoder, e.g. a video card). I want to budget the remedy at less than $100. I request recommendations.

my rig

The iGPU of the i5 would be sufficient for this,problem is it doesn't work inside of virtual machines...
Also ~55°C is way cool for this chip,it's rated for above 100°C no actions are needed.
First step though if you absolutely want to do something is to get into your bios and tweak the cooling settings of your mobo,you can tell it to hit 100% rpm on the CPU fan as soon as the temp exceeds 50°,or whatever you like,only look for an extra cooler if the sound levels are unacceptable for you,the default cooler is more then enough just for cooling.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Many cable-tv websites (e.g. cox.com, hbo.com) do not support any linux os. As a workaround, I installed Windows 7 Pro in a Fedora 26 Virtualbox. When I maxout the Virtualbox settings (based on my hardware), I have Virtualbox-allocated 4 core to the Virtualbox-cpu, 20gb ram, and 128mb video.

I never overclock and I use the linux sensors utility to check temperature. Based on sensors, my pc idles at 35C. When video streaming a hi-def movie at cox.com or hbo.com, the temperature rises to 54C. I want to counteract the increased cpu load and cool the pc back down to 35-40C.

On another forum, I have explored software alternatives, such as a separate Windows boot, a Windows-user-agent in the browser, or playonlinux. I would like to restrict this query to hardware solutions, such as an AIO cooler, replacing the cpu (heat sink) cooler, or purchasing a hardware (video-stream decoder, e.g. a video card). I want to budget the remedy at less than $100. I request recommendations.

my rig

Idle speed is with the CPU running at less than 10w. Basically it is like it isn't running. Once the the processor is doing real work, the CPU power draw will go to a normal level, what you are seeing is actually really good temps for a CPU at work. A hundred cooler isn't going to bring the temps down much more than a degree or two. The best you could really pull off is to not run this in a VM where quicksync in some of these systems can do the decoding. You could get a video card and pass it through to the VM but I am not sure it is worth the worry.

zug134zwang

Feb 15, 2018
thanks to theelf and topweasel for their responses. i think both responses were directly on point and informative.