Cooling my RAM?

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Right now, I have airflow going straight through the case to cool the CPU / HSF. If I add a fan on the side of the case, blowing at the RAM (green rectangle):

sZe38k6.jpg

Would adding this "cross-flow" negatively impact CPU temps.?

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Likely the cross flow will create turbulence which could hurt CPU temps. If you're not overclocking RAM to 11(Ghz), it doesn't need more cooling. Will be getting more than enough from the existing airflow.

Hot GPU > CPU > VRMs > User Temper > RAM > Hard Drives is my rough hierarchy for cooling OCD.

Reactions: Synomenon

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Each case is different (plus factor in the different fan's performance and characteristics).

I found what worked best for my case/components by trying different configurations, and then seeing the results. In my case, a "cross-flow" fan (bottom mount) helped my temperatures a bit, but it wasn't a big difference.

Edit:

I also meant to mirror what ClockHound stated on the importance of the components being cooled. Unless you have RAM heavily overclocked, it really isn't difficult to keep it well within it's rated specs. In fact, a lot of RAM with heatsinks are mostly cosmetic, and really aren't needed at all.

Last edited:

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I have some DDR4 3200mhz sticks. The thickest, sturdiest heat sinks that I have ever seen. In the past all my ram have had heat spreaders. However they were always think decorative metal casing. No need for auxiliary cooling unless you are cranking up the voltage on your ram beyond specs.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Since I don't have experience with that case, with your fans, I really can't say "If you do X, you'll get Y".

Now, if you owned a Fractal Design R5, Be Quiet Dark Base 900, or a Cooler Master MC500P, I likely could. ;)

I will say as open as that case is, it is unlikely you would need a top fan at all, as it will be pulling air in from everywhere.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Fancy ram heat spreaders are mostly marketing.
Ram needs NO cooling at all unless you are looking for record seeking ram overclocks.

A caveat on adding ram:
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly AMD can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when 4 sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

Ask yourself...
What is my plan B if the added two sticks do not work with my original 2 sticks??
My suggestion is to buy a single supported 2 stick kit of the size you need that closely matches what you have
Try adding your old sticks, and if it works, you will have extra ram
Sometimes adding voltage in the bios can make such combos work.

If the extra ram does not play well with your old, sell the old or keep them as spares.
It's an ITX board with only two RAM slots.