Question Cooling for i9 9900K cpu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aorus73

Dec 26, 2018
I have buy one 9900k and i need 1 aio or 1 water cooling is a good idea second you?
So for Aio i have thinked at asus riujin 360 with noctua fans thermaltake floe riing corsair h150i or Next x72 and for the water cooling kit i have thinked at alphacool or ek ever 360 what do you think?

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
For cpu 1 and the second for the gpu in the future!!!!

Then you would be better off not using any kits at all, but instead configuring your own system from scratch. The kits are a bad idea in general. Custom water - whether through expandable kits or custom from scratch - will always cost more than your budget allows, if you have a budget.

The major problem with the kits is that most of them will put you in a position where you will eventually be mixing aluminum and copper wetted surfaces in your loop, which leads to galvanic corrosion. Which is bad. Plus you often wind up with inadequate pumps or other annoyances that you will eventually want to replace as you expand the loop.

Given your budget, I think you would be better off going with an AiO today and getting a factory watercooled card in the future. There are almost always watercooled cards for top-end GPUs.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
A kit really isn't good for anything, I'm sorry to say. I've yet to see many kits worth buying. They all have flaws built into them, and only a few of them substantially outperform AiOs as shipped. You are almost always better building a WC solution from scratch if you want performance and expandability. You gotta pay to play.

Aorus73

Dec 26, 2018
A kit really isn't good for anything, I'm sorry to say. I've yet to see many kits worth buying. They all have flaws built into them, and only a few of them substantially outperform AiOs as shipped. You are almost always better building a WC solution from scratch if you want performance and expandability. You gotta pay to play.
So a component also aquacomputer watercool pump tubing fitting and more is Ideal right?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If you are trying to build your own custom water solution, I would recommend talking to @aigomorla about it. Search this subforum and look at some of the other threads here. Water cooling hasn't changed dramatically over the years. Many people turn to EK for their parts to "play it safe". You'll never get all the right parts for you from one vendor, though. Well, almost never.

I've given you the best advice I can give you: keep it simple, use one of the AiO coolers I or others have recommended (and that Thermaltake floe riing 360 TT Premium you asked about should do just fine; don't feel like you have to get a Corsair unit). Get a factory watercooled video card later when you decide you need one.

Aorus73

Dec 26, 2018
If you are trying to build your own custom water solution, I would recommend talking to @aigomorla about it. Search this subforum and look at some of the other threads here. Water cooling hasn't changed dramatically over the years. Many people turn to EK for their parts to "play it safe". You'll never get all the right parts for you from one vendor, though. Well, almost never.

I've given you the best advice I can give you: keep it simple, use one of the AiO coolers I or others have recommended (and that Thermaltake floe riing 360 TT Premium you asked about should do just fine; don't feel like you have to get a Corsair unit). Get a factory watercooled video card later when you decide you need one.
Ok thanks

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
As someone who has the 9900k, I can tell you 5ghz on all cores with an AIO isn't difficult. In fact, many people are able to achieve that. The best AIO on the market is actually EVGA's. AIO has a great price to performance setup. But, if you want to push your system to its absolute limits and or have the absolute lowest temps, go with custom water cooling. I would recommend looking into ekwb.com and going through there custom loop builder. They will recommend a nice setup for you, but be prepared to drop 500 dollars on a custom loop.

Just remember, AIO's can get your temps in say the 80s and a custom loop will drop you into say the 70s and a really really high end custom loop could drop you into the 60s. Problem is, the lower temp doesn't do anything if you are already at your max overclock.

Honestly, I would find out what the chip can do first. Find its max stable overclock and then base your cooling off of that and off of what you feel comfortable running voltage wise for 24/7 use. Another good upgrade is to de-lid and or use direct die cooling ;)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Delidding is still pretty simple, it's just getting all the STIM off that sucks. Using a razer blade is fun xD

The only delid I ever did was my A10-7700k. I was sweating bullets heh. If I nicked that PCB too deep it was over, and I didn't have the cash for a replacement. Good thing I didn't kill the chip.