cool, quiet, and reliable SATA hard drive?

laugh

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
I have not caught up on the latest HD reviews for more than a year... Guess I am totally out of date and here is my humble question.

I am looking for a 200+ GB SATA hard drive to fit in a SFF box I will build in January. I am looking for drive runs cool, quiet, and reliable. So far from online reviews, Samsung has the edge of acoustic control, but I have not seen feedback about its reliability. I used to own Seagate and WD, and I slightly favor WD, but it was back in the era of 100+ GB.

Any suggestion? Thanks!

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Honestly, differences in drive reliability are not major between the manufacturers. You can check out StorageReview's reliability database for some numbers, but they don't generally have many samples of newer drives (and you need at least a year or two to see if the numbers 'really' hold up).

If reliability is a concern, go with Seagate, since they have a 5 year warranty on their desktop drives, and backup your data frequently. :p Silent PC Review says Samsung has the quietest drives right now, and I can vouch that the Spinpoint P80s are *very* quiet. The P120s are supposed to be just as good.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
All vendors have drives that die in warranty, just out of warranty, or that last 10 years. All seem to have spikes in bad batches, but sometimes it's just the web spreading a group myth.

I'm happy with my Samsungs even though one just died on me after 2 years.

According to StorageReview the Spinpoint 120s are not only quiet but also cool and use less power.

laugh

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
your comments are very much appreciated. I also read the SR review. I will make my decision after the holidays.