Converting .ts files to mkv/m4v (or...)

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I was just wondering, what are people using to convert their PVR recordings?
I was using handbrake for most of the files, but, it is annoying when a thread crashes, and it stops there, and won't go on to the next file, until you close out the dialog it pops up.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I've never had that happen. Maybe because I use something called dvbcut to cut out commercials and convert to mpeg container format. Edit: The program I used to use on Windows for that purpose is called MPG2CUT2.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Yeah, would have to re-encode, since .ts files are MPEG2. Was converting to H264 with handbrake, but, had those issues.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, would have to re-encode, since .ts files are MPEG2. Was converting to H264 with handbrake, but, had those issues.

What are you going to play them back on? You could always just remux it into an .m2ts file with TsMuxer. That's the default container for Blu-Ray and it can handle MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 streams. You won't get any chapter support, though.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Need to convert to get size down to be able to be played on phones and what not.
Right now, .ts files average around 6GB per file. Need to get them under 2GB.

I usually use VLC to play them. H.264 seems to be the most supported codec, but, not against using others, if the quality is there.

Was going to try some test runs of ffmpeg as well, but, need a good CLI switches for that.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is Plex/Emby an option in your setup? It might be easier to use a server that transcodes on the fly for these devices.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Um, was already using handbrake, I was just trying to find something else that don't crash as much.

As for plex, tried it, didn't really like it.

Crashed? I don't think I have had Handbrake crash in a few years. What is happening exactly?

Other options you could look into:
Vidcoder
Ripbot 264
Super

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Crashed? I don't think I have had Handbrake crash in a few years. What is happening exactly?
What happens is, sometimes the ts file gets slightly corrupted.
It can still play fine in VLC or MPC-HS, it is just you can't seek on them.

Anyway, handbrake starts out OK, but, sometime during the process, it crashes, and it uses up ALL the system memory, forcing windows to throw up the low memory dialog. PITA when that happens.
System is basically unusable then, until I come home and kill handbrake.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
That's why I posted the link to Project-X. It de-corrupts corrupt .ts files.

I've had Handbrake use up all my system memory sometimes, but it's a Linux-specific thing with ramdisks, so I doubt it applies to you.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Anyway, handbrake starts out OK, but, sometime during the process, it crashes, and it uses up ALL the system memory, forcing windows to throw up the low memory dialog. PITA when that happens.
System is basically unusable then, until I come home and kill handbrake.

Are you using a nightly build? Every once in a while, a build does have a memory leak that does exactly what you are describing. Most of them are fine. If you are using a nightly, try a newer build or (heaven forbid) the latest stable release.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Are you using a nightly build? Every once in a while, a build does have a memory leak that does exactly what you are describing. Most of them are fine. If you are using a nightly, try a newer build or (heaven forbid) the latest stable release.

Nope, was using the latest stable version.