Converting DSL to cable

Wall7486

Sep 29, 2004
I've had enough with Verizon and I am going to go with time warner cable internet. There is really no point for me to go to another DSL company as they all use Verizon equipment anyway. But, what i'm really not sure is cable internet really independent from phone lines and all the verizon stuff? I know DSL has a central office where they connect all users to. I'm just wondering is there any chance that cable internet share the same central office as the DSL. On top of my head I would think that they use different systems, but I would like someone who has more knowledge in the field to provide better info. Thanks.

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
Well, as far as the details are concerned I'm not too sure about, but AFAIK cable doesn't really use a central office. They place nodes throughout neighborhoods to distribute bandwidth, and it's all really the workings of the cable company, nothing to do with phone lines until it gets out of the cable companies network.

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
They are completely separate. Until you go all the way to the headend where it all connects to the same backbone. which is something you really dont have to think about.

Wall7486

Sep 29, 2004
Thanks for all the reply. I'm just sick of verizon. Over 2 weeks already and they cant get my DSL fix and the 56K that they provide doesn't work either. I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt, ive been using their DSL for 7-8 years. I guess it's time to move on.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kirby64
Well, as far as the details are concerned I'm not too sure about, but AFAIK cable doesn't really use a central office. They place nodes throughout neighborhoods to distribute bandwidth, and it's all really the workings of the cable company, nothing to do with phone lines until it gets out of the cable companies network.

what

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: Kirby64

what

Ok, I'll admit what I said is confusing. Basically I'm saying cable doesn't connect to the phone lines in any way until it gets to the major backbone of the internet. Make a little more sense? :(

I'm tired, sue me.