Converting a dir/list/catalog (not content) to ISO disk image.

Masterguy

Jul 8, 2018
Hi, my first post.
It is possible to make an ISO or any valid disk image of an disk/folder without the physical content, only the disk full tree or list directory, able to be mounted as an ordinary virtual disk?

I am an 74+ old musician, trying to enjoy my last years with my tons of big sampler libraries and audio stuff, I already tried various disk cataloger apps, all doing fine for what is intended, but not one let me get what I want. Usually, and aside of the 4 internal disk, I need to work with up to 6 external esata/usb physical disk drives, which can be kinda cumbersome sometimes, however I would need just read the content list directory of a disk, that is why I use disk catalog apps, but those don,t let me make search with the Windows integrated search engine/indexer. I stay tuned with any help. Thanks.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I did not understand what your goal is here!?
You want to search on a ISO image that only contains a folder tree but no files?!?!

You can make a text file of all your folder tree and search through it with any text editor
(Warning if the file is going to be ginormous it might bring your system to it's knees. )
To do this open up cmd (windows search for CMD )
dir c:\ (or d:\ or e:\ for whatever drive) and press enter,then
dir /s /b >file.txt (and enter) will create a text file with all the directory tree of this disk complete with file names.

Masterguy

Jul 8, 2018
I did not understand what your goal is here!?
You want to search on a ISO image that only contains a folder tree but no files?!?!

Hi TheELF, thanks!
Yes, I want to search on a ISO image that only contains a folder tree but no files. I know how to create text and html with folder tree, and although the method you describe is new for me I acomplished that task via some file utilities apps, but it doesn't work for my goal of an integrated/all disks searching.
I will elaborate a bit more in order to be understanded. I use Everything searching which maintain a indexed report of all my media available and online (really fast!), but sometimes I run out of usb or eSATA ports and it would be great to mount an ISO image containing only the folder tree for explore purpose only and able to be indexed by Everything or Windows build search engine just like another disk in the system.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I don't think that is going to work if I understand what you are asking. Windows will automatically index your drives, but this only stays in place if the drive letter remains the same. For hard drives, this usually isn't a big deal. For external and virtual drives, keeping drives on consistent letters is possible, but can be a pain.

How much data (in GB in TB) does your music library consist of?

Terry Syndergaard

Nov 25, 2018
This might be over-complicated. I know it's an old topic, but...
I've been using the Cathy cataloger for years. It indexes all my external drives, including SSDs and is just a small database on my hard drive. Really fast, too.

Masterguy

Jul 8, 2018
Thank you all for the intention to help. Unfortunately my father pass away last week. As his daughter I'm just here fulfilling his will to thank everyone for your help and concluding his pending things on the net. Fortunately he managed to organize most of his musical library with the help of a Russian programmer couple who are also musicians, they sent him a small software that keeps the directories of all storage units under a virtual catalog that group all the disks content, online and off-line together , including SSD, flash drives, external hd and even ftp remote contents.
My Dad was a devoted "tech" lover guy and excellent musician, despite his age he never stopped exploring and learning.
even so I'm just devastated :(
Blessing for you all.
Carole D.G.