Convert RAW to NTFS

denden42

Jul 21, 2013
Hi, I have 1TB Storage which is divided into 2 partitions, D drive which is for my Program Files and E for my data. I am using an SSD as my boot drive by the way. My problem is, windows reported that my drive has an error and to fix that, windows needs to restart to do the fixing. Then, after restarting, my D: drive became unreadable. Data is not my concern here since all my data are saved on the other partition and still accessible. I just want to get my drive D: working again since reinstalling all my programs is a long boring task to do. Anyone who knows how to convert it back to NTFS to access my files again?

Regards,
Derstine

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If doing chkdsk D: /f /v /r still reckons that the file system is RAW, then I'm not aware of another way to potentially return it to normal (ie. saving all the data and the partition is still usable).

Another way to recover data is to use a data recovery program like 'GetDataBack for NTFS' (runtime.org), just ensure that you're recovering data onto another physical storage device!

For this to have happened on a 1TB SSD is a bit worrying as it suggests that the drive has problems already (and it can't be that old). How does its SMART data look?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
If doing chkdsk D: /f /v /r still reckons that the file system is RAW, then I'm not aware of another way to potentially return it to normal (ie. saving all the data and the partition is still usable).

Another way to recover data is to use a data recovery program like 'GetDataBack for NTFS' (runtime.org), just ensure that you're recovering data onto another physical storage device!

For this to have happened on a 1TB SSD is a bit worrying as it suggests that the drive has problems already (and it can't be that old). How does its SMART data look?

Actually, I don't think he was entirely clear about what might color your otherwise reasonable assumptions. He says the problem drive was partitioned into two logical volumes D_: and E:. Then he says his boot drive is an SSD. But the boot drive would have a label of C:.

Now, going back to the problem in question, I'm still totally baffled myself as to what happened and how it happened. Usually, the message he describes from Windows may be followed by a simple CHKDSK -- either by dismounting a drive such as his (I assume HDD), or waiting for a reboot after scheduling the check. It can either be triggered by hardware management software, like my PrimoCache caching program, or the user chose to schedule a CHKDSK, or something else.

Maybe he just clicked the wrong option under "Storage Management." I'm not even sure if that would precipitate a reboot with message.

How it comes back to show that suddenly the partition or logical volume no longer exists, I can only "stay tuned in" until someone comes up with an explanation.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I'm confused, at one point Derstine says "Data is not my concern here since all my data are saved on the other partition and still accessible. I just want to get my drive working again... "

If data is not a concern the drive can just be re-partitioned and formatted (not sure I'd trust it).

Later we read "reinstalling all my programs is a long boring task to do. Anyone who knows how to convert it back to NTFS to access my files again?", like the data on the drive needs to be recovered after all.

Why the drive failed should be a concern. Is it just corrupted, perhaps from improper shutdown, or is the drive failing? Maybe it is just a bad sata cable connection?

denden42

Jul 21, 2013
I'm confused, at one point Derstine says "Data is not my concern here since all my data are saved on the other partition and still accessible. I just want to get my drive working again... "

If data is not a concern the drive can just be re-partitioned and formatted (not sure I'd trust it).

Later we read "reinstalling all my programs is a long boring task to do. Anyone who knows how to convert it back to NTFS to access my files again?", like the data on the drive needs to be recovered after all.

Why the drive failed should be a concern. Is it just corrupted, perhaps from improper shutdown, or is the drive failing? Maybe it is just a bad sata cable connection?

Sorry for the confusion. What i mean with my DATA is my works. Not the actual Program Files since they can be found and download easily i just hate to reinstall them again. My drive is a 3 months old WD Blue so i believe it's pretty descent still.

The message i received came from ACTION CENTER and im pretty sure, the issue was not a CHKDSK since i didn't see Windows did the disk check after restarting.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
So you want to recover D: and you don't care about E:? Do a search for partition recovery. The one I used was get data back but there are many options.

A fixmbr might work.

Did you try Testdisk?