Controlling HTPC from a different room

harpreetz

Jan 31, 2014
I will using my desktop as a HTPC and my Plasma/Ht system, is in the adjoining room
•Display & Sound: To connect the PC to Plasma(non smart) for display and to my Ht system for sound, Plan to use 20 Ft/30Ft, HDMI cable and Optical Out cable .Is anyone using such a long cable ?Is this a feasible option ?, will there will any loss in picture/sound quality by using such a long cable ? Any other recommendation?

•Controlling the XBMC/Pc :: I want to use an actual remote rather than any tablet/cell.We are looking at a distance of around 20-30 ft btw display room and the room where Desktop will be placed.Recommendations on such remotes, IR repeaters. What should be the best way of doing this.

Kindly assist on the above.

Harpreet

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
30' HDMI should be fine with no degradation. I use such a cable.

No idea on your other stuff.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Can you explain the problem with using a cell or a tablet? I can tell you those will do precisely what you need by delivering commands via the network instead of line-of-sight IR. If you already own an Android device it seems like an obvious solution at no additional cost.

Apart from that, could you procure a USB cable long enough to match the HDMI cable and place the IR receiver at the display?

harpreetz

Jan 31, 2014
hi,
i dont have any android device.yes i can check if long usb cable is available and then,appropiate receiver can be used.Any suggestions on how to go about it.
in the end ,looking forward to use Logitech Harmony 300 Remote.

WildViper

Feb 19, 2002
Here is what I have done. Not sure if it is something similar that you want..but seems like it.

I have my TV and speakers in the main living room and then put all my equipment in my office.

I have run 2x 50' HDMI cables from the receiver (in office) to TV. I ran 2 because of backup. Everything is connected to my receiver and then that one HDMI goes to TV for picture. I do not see any picture issues.

I use this Sewell Infrared system. Works very well with my Logitech Harmony 650.

Last edited:

j03h4gLund

Nov 8, 2010
for a remote controller solution, run an a 30ft usb extension to your living room, then just hook something like this up to it

controller works with netflix, kmplayer, vlc player and i'm sure more.

i have my computer in my room hooked up with hdmi cable(does video and audio) going to my living room 60" plasma.

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I have a 50' HDMI to my tv from my computer. Also run a 50' USB to hook up my mini keyboard/remote. I don't have any sound/video issues.

harpreetz

Jan 31, 2014
Thanks so much guys.. really appreciate your help out here.So should not be much of an issue with 30ft hdmi cable.Remote optiion looks great too.

Another query regarding optical out, My receiver has optical in,no hdmi, and if there is no optical out in my motherboard,only hdmi(which will go to plasma), then how should i proceed. Any good hdmi spliiter, which splits the hdmi into hdmi-for display and optical-for sound, without hampering the quality.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Thanks so much guys.. really appreciate your help out here.So should not be much of an issue with 30ft hdmi cable.Remote optiion looks great too.

Another query regarding optical out, My receiver has optical in,no hdmi, and if there is no optical out in my motherboard,only hdmi(which will go to plasma), then how should i proceed. Any good hdmi spliiter, which splits the hdmi into hdmi-for display and optical-for sound, without hampering the quality.

Until recently I had an optical-in receiver with no HDMI. My HTPC had no optical out. I got a USB optical adapter (about $25 on Amazon). Video went out HDMI. Audio out the optical. Easy peasy.